->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Daiwa regal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

I will be going on a 3 day Salmon fishing trip to New York in the Salmon river next week. The target fish would be King Salmon, Coho, Steelhead and brown trout. King salmon would be the most abundunt at this time of year, and they put a hell of a fight. getting ready for the trip and bought a Daiwa regal 2500 to mostly use, and will have the Stradic as a backup. These salmon put the tackle to test, so I don't want to destroy my Stradic.
The Daiwa regal looks good, feels smooth to reel but feels light. It is an in-expensive reel for around 50 US dollars..
I will update this thread after to the trip to see how it holds up.

Post subject: Re: Daiwa regal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Here are some pictures. The reel is quite light weighing only 7.4 oz

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:46 am 
Fishaholic

Looks nice for the money and seems to have a good line capacity.

Being a Daiwa, it should have decent line lay and be smooth in operation. However, from what I have seen of the king salmon in the Fraser River in Canada, the reel size may be on the smaller side and you will have to play the fish carefully.

Look forward to your report on the reel performance and your catches.

Good luck,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,
Yes, I agree the reel is a bit smaller what size reel were you fishing for King Salmon? This reel has decent line capacity, and says 22lb drag which should be sufficient. But the reel handle doesn't feel strong, and with overall reel weight reduced in this model I don't know how strong the reel would be to handle those Salmon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Binu,

I had a size 5000 Stradic when I fished for salmon ...... loaded with 30 lb braid and same strength mono leader, if I recall correctly. The Fraser River near Vancouver, Canada, was a large and powerful river.

I do recall that the king salmon I hooked was some 50-70 meters out and I could not budge it with this outfit, eventually the single hook ( tied with woollen fluff) broke and I lost the fish.

That is an insane amount of drag out of a size 2500 reel and I fear that some of its components may not be able to withstand the higher stress.

But then I do not know the size and strength of the river you are fishing on. If it is relatively calm water then you stand a good chance if the fish is played carefully.

Would you be able to post a picture of the side of the reel box which lists the reel specifications? I wish to see how my Nasci 2500 stacks up against it.

Best wishes,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:39 am 
Fishaholic

Kingfish,
The Salmon river NY is not as big as the Fraser river. Here are some pictures. Most of the popular spots have fast running waters and are crowded elbow to elbow. Last time when I fished I landed about 2 of every 15 fish hooked. Most broke line or hooks or the hook would come off.
I don't plan to fish on a tight drag, but a decent smooth drag would be great.
I will post picture of side of the reel box over the weekend.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:45 am 
Fishaholic

Binu,

Yes, that looks to be a far gentler and forgiving river.
Hope you land some good ones.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Here is a picture of the side of the reel. The reel performed well against some King Salmon(I will post Pictures and report) in heavy current, it had a very smooth drag and the reel is light. But I don't think it is a good reel to specifically target these big fish. But it would be an ideal reel for medium freshwater and light salwater use.
Bobby may appreciate this, it is made in Vietnam and not China :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the picture with the reel specs, Binu.

I just remembered that Daiwa sizes are larger for the same reel sizes from,say, Shimano.
This explains the larger line capacities on the Regal.
Glad it held up well ...... look forward to your report on the king salmon caught.

Kingfish