->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Greetings!

I know I haven't been reporting in a while, but I think this trip was a bit special....

I was at the shore for four days this past week and fished hard. Couldn't fish at night because I was there with my girlfriend and I know for sure that I missed a lot of action because I wasn't fishing the night high tide. Oh well.... However, I fished a lot during the day though. Tried my ultra light trout gear and caught some small needle fish and bait sized GT babys. The actual fishing was very very slow, without even a strike for the first three days.

I hit a different spot on the fourth day and had a 4' barracuda strike my 11 cm Rapala Husky Jerk right in front of my feet in crystal clear water but didn't hook up. I tried to cast a few minnow type lures in the fire tiger and silver colours and nothing to show for it. I then switched to a popper and it lit up.... :-) I had Mangrove Jacks in the 2 KG range go crazy on the popper. I missed a few strikes and even missed one after fighting for a few seconds on the popper, but managed to land two fish. I kept one for dinner and released the other.

It was a lot of fun on a 7' St. Croix Avid inshore rod rated for 10-20# line, paired to an Abu 4600C5 reel.
Since the fishing was so slow for the first three days, I did not bother carrying my GoPro on the last day :-( Next time....

Cheers!
Maruthu

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Maruthu,

Those are good looking mangrove jacks, with some spectacular scenery in the background.
Nice video of release .... hope some of the newer generation of anglers follow suit.

Glad you got into the action on the last day, the trip becomes memorable because of that and compels you to return.

Regards,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice MJ Maruthu.
What happened to you krokkers? :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:22 pm 
Fishaholic

That's a nice fish Maruthu. Thanks for sharing.
I never knew MJs could be targeted with poppers. I have seen people catch 1 or 2 on poppers but always though that was by fluke.

Also the location looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

I have caught 100's of MJ, even on spoons but never on a popper. Having said that, a lot of my friends have caught these on Popper, a friend of mine took a large MJ on a Massive XL GT popper 8"+ fat beast of a popper. He was on boat, still way inshore on the estuary going out for GTs and saw some rocks in the shallows and cast towards it resulting in a very large MJ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch Marthu.....expect more experiment from you.

Regards,
Vijay.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

kingfish wrote:
Hello Maruthu,

Those are good looking mangrove jacks, with some spectacular scenery in the background.
Nice video of release .... hope some of the newer generation of anglers follow suit.

Glad you got into the action on the last day, the trip becomes memorable because of that and compels you to return.

Regards,
Kingfish

Thank you Kingfish!
Yes, I can't wait to go there again :-)

h_venkatesan wrote:
Nice MJ Maruthu.
What happened to you krokkers? :twisted:

I have no boots to wear korkers on :-(
And yes I took a fall this time and luckily nothing happened....

humaid wrote:
That's a nice fish Maruthu. Thanks for sharing.
I never knew MJs could be targeted with poppers. I have seen people catch 1 or 2 on poppers but always though that was by fluke.

Also the location looks beautiful.

Thank you Humaid! I too haven't caught them on poppers till now.
It was very exiting to see the red come up to the surface and swallow the popper....

Bobby wrote:
I have caught 100's of MJ, even on spoons but never on a popper. Having said that, a lot of my friends have caught these on Popper, a friend of mine took a large MJ on a Massive XL GT popper 8"+ fat beast of a popper. He was on boat, still way inshore on the estuary going out for GTs and saw some rocks in the shallows and cast towards it resulting in a very large MJ...

Bobby,

I too haven't caught an MJ on a popper so far.
I never though that they'd hit any popper at all, let alone large poppers.
Planning to fish more small poppers in the 3" to 5" range in my upcoming trips.

vijayfisher wrote:
Nice catch Marthu.....expect more experiment from you.

Regards,
Vijay.

Thank you Vijay!
I hope so to come up with more reports as well....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report there Maruthu! Keep 'em coming bud.

I guess the time and tide has to match, but I've had some MJ action on poppers as well... Just to add more confusion to the mix. LOL....

Cheers...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Maruthu,

I have tried for MJs on popper but have not been successful, I have not even got a hit. Having said that I have not tried really fervently and perhaps I should try this by taking poppers only, like I did last year with my fly gear so I am forced to use poppers only.

Anyway, for what I have heard, they are more inclined to take poppers at night on a slow retrieve, same as with Barras.

Regards,

Bobby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Anyway, for what I have heard, they are more inclined to take poppers at night on a slow retrieve, same as with Barras.

Interesting that you mentioned poppers on slow retrieve. The one time this has happened to me, it was on a popper by the rocks. I was retrieving it from a GT action several feet away, then while reeling the popper close the rocks I slowed down waiting for the swell to pick up the lure prior to pulling it out of the water and that's when the MJ hit it. Might have been a lucky hit more than anything else, but a hit nonetheless.

Cheers....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Maruthu,

I have tried for MJs on popper but have not been successful, I have not even got a hit. Having said that I have not tried really fervently and perhaps I should try this by taking poppers only, like I did last year with my fly gear so I am forced to use poppers only.

Regards,

Bobby

That slow retrieve at night with a popper is deadly on barracudas and ladyfish!
I was actually splashing my popper when the MJs hit it. More of a Pop....pause....pop style retrieve.

Will be fishing more in the open waters for pelagics going forward as the fishing has slowed down drastically in the places I fish compared to five years ago. It used to be like a couple of MJs an evening, to may be a fish or two on a four day trip :-( Not that the open water fishing is any good, but I guess in comparision with ambush predators like MJs and groupers that stay at one place for a longer time, the cudas and the likes I guess are likely to move faster and not tend to stay more in the same location for a longer time and are less likely to hit dead bait that most of the local fishermen use in the places I am currently fishing. Just my theory, but I'm willing to try something different on my next trips just out of plain desperation and a little bit of enthusiasm....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Ulygun wrote:
Nice report there Maruthu! Keep 'em coming bud.

I guess the time and tide has to match, but I've had some MJ action on poppers as well... Just to add more confusion to the mix. LOL....

Cheers...

Thank you Ulygun!
Hoping to get back with more reports :-)

Maruthu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Maruthu good job on releasing the other MJ. Waiting to hear back about your next report.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
Maruthu good job on releasing the other MJ. Waiting to hear back about your next report.

Thank you Binu!