->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:06 am 

The waters of a restricted jetty in south goa have become the secret lair of the giant baras this winter. They lurk beneath the waters and fear no one. The jetty is also home to large shoals of juvis.. including small squids recently. Being top predators with unlimited food supply they are weary of anything new and rarely go after fancy lures. They swim freely out in deeper waters during day and at night like a sniper stay in shadow spots around the jetty and stike to take down passing pray.

I have fought day and night and once hooked a 10 kg plus bara but never succeeded in landing them. My losses include .. a broken okuma reel, leaders, fluro, braid, lots of soft lures. It became an obsession. A constant battle. I can't loose always, I had to win. So began my quest... the hunt had began.

I upgraded my rig completely. new hooks, heavy duty snaps, split rings. I slowly eliminated my weak links. Luckily i had good advice from Nasir bhai from casa. I spent at least two to three days in a week, out day and night, studying them. I have spotted at lest four to five of them hiding along the jetty shadows. There were days when i used to cast hard and soft lures right on top them and they did not care a bit.

Then the tides slowly changed, i started catching 2 to 3 kg baras. Luckily okuma replaced my broken body assembly free of charge and shipped new parts. I took a few days break as i was caught up in office. It had been almost a month since a giant had broken my reel. An angler never forgets..

Then came a day.... Instincts kick in.. a hunter always knows... When the heavenly bodies align and tide is perfect.... .

As luck would have it, I finished my office early and I had the whole evening free. So decided to head out. Moon phase, tide all at its best. All the giants were there playing, chasing squids... but not biting. After three hours of casting.. no luck , I decided to change tactics and location. My first cast no luck. The second cast.

All i felt was a soft tug. Then my reel screamed. It was a deja vu... but i had done my home work. max drag set. kept guiding the fish away from jetty and slowly reel in. Had to do a bit of acrobatic. Allowed the fish to tire out then slowly brought him to jetty steps.

The battle was over .... Peace.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish, Congrats...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

That is a nice barra, congrats...
It is good that you have access to the spot..
Good part on Okuma to replace the reel body. Where did you ship the reel to get it repaired?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:22 pm 

Thank you @bobby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 pm 

Thank you @ h_ Venkatesan. Great many thanks to Mr Nasir, my local tackle shop owner. He helped out n sent all mails. The factory just sent replacement parts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:53 am 
Fishaholic

Nice catch, perseverance pays off.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:11 am 
Fishaholic

Good report and kudos on landing that Barra this time around. Fantastic bara indeed!

They can be extremely selective and only at night do they hit lures without inhibition. It's interesting how the fish hit the lure during or close to full moon during which they are pretty wary even at night times. It would would be nice to know the tide movement of when you ended up catching them. What lure did it go for finally?

When I lived in Ponda, Goa for a year and every other weekend would hit the mouth of river Mandovi river by Panjim. That place is teeming with MJ's and Barra's a bunch of good memories from those days! Several hand-line guys spread across the beach. Good days....

Did you end up releasing it? Best of luck and hope you catch more and bigger next time.

Cheers....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report and congrats on the catch Maven. That's a lovely Barra!

I have fished the place years back when it was not completely banned and have heard of some monster Gobra landed from there.
I wonder how you gained access, as I would still love to dip my line in those waters some day. Any pointers?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:53 pm 

Thank you @Kingfish

Thank you @Ulygun
1. It was one hour before high tide.
2. Cassan soft lure 35g. KFS05 COLOR - #07. Also caught one on strike pro ultra minnow- full white and storm shad 06, full silver each

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:13 am 

Thank you @ humaid
You are right. Caught this reef cod or Gobro last month . 2 kg
Night , just before high tide. I was jigging with a cassan soft lure 35 g.
About access PM me.

Regards

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 am 

A request to Anglers with experience of fishing in Goa.

I have been chasing two species threadfin and barracuda. Never caught them. Can anyone guide me to any suitable location in goa.

thanks in advance
Regards
Maven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:42 am 
Fishaholic

Ravas are always on the move and would be at a place just for a few days. You need someone trust worthy to intimidate you when Ravas are around any specific spot. Would also help to keep a watch on the Local fish markets to see when the Ravas are pouring in (make sure they are caught locally). Ravas is a rare sport these days and I assume most are caught by chance and not specifically targeted, would be happy to hear otherwise.

About Barracuda, they are every where. Right from Estuary to Shore. just keep trying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats on landing that Barra!
Glad you were able to get the reel fixed.

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 pm 

Thank you Maruthu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Also for targeting Cudas from the shore, use poppers and shallow diving lures.
Storm Chug Bug should be a good lure to start with and should be easily available with Casa.

On another note, did you ever try the Cassan Barramagic Lure?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:13 am 

Hi Humaid!
Yes I have one barramagic . It is always the first one I cast. But no bites.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

The golden color is quite productive in bright sunlight. Reflects good light.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:22 pm 
Fishaholic

I have not caught a Ravas for about 25 years now and neither have I seen one in the wild for that long either....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:53 pm 

@ bobby

Sir, this is the video that got my attention about threadfin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yoXSKjxA9RI

Location - Goa- sinquerium beach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice Barramundi, thats a giant, and I am glad you were able to land it!! Good job Maven.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Nice report Maven, congrats on a lovely fish!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:59 pm 

Thanks to you actually bops !!
I bought my very first rod n reel from you a few years back. From then on , I have been hooked.
Cheers n very best regards to you