->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:40 am 
Fishaholic

So far I have fished only in saltwater, except for a couple of times I have accompanied in fresh water fishing trips, mostly to enjoy nature.
One of my colleague was nagging me for quite some time to do fresh water fishing. A quick plan was made and we went to fishing in the outskirts of Bangalore.
More than fresh water fishing I was more interested in going out and testing my newly acquired hobby, plinking targets with slingshot.
It was a nice drive in the morning and it brought me back the memories of this place I had visited some 6 years back.
As soon as we hit the water I could see murrels bubbling air hear and there. My friend started fishing and I was simply standing behind and watching him fishing.
After a few cast, a Murrel leaped to attack his frog lure, but he reeled in too quickly before it could bite. I watched him for sometime, nothing happened and we both went in our own ways.
He continued fishing and I wandered with the slingshot. Here is the pic of the slingshot I handmade.

Attachment:
Slingshot5.jpg

For the next few hours there was no action and I was nagging him to retreat and head back to Bangalore. He has promised his son to get a fish and he has no intention of coming back with out a fish. He was very reluctant to come out of the water and he said he saw few murrels there. I told him, I would cast for another 10 minutes there and if noting bites we are packing up. I started casting and on the third cast I got a bite but it did not hook up. Now I got interested, again in the next cast a fish followed but did not take the lure.. It is getting more and more interesting. A couple of cast later I got the strike and after a brief fight I landed this Murrel, my first freshwater catch... I never expected murrel to run this fast. Here is the pic of my first murrel... I am sure, form here onwards I will post more in fresh water section too.... :D

Attachment:
Murrel.jpg

Regards,
Venkatesan.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Venkat,

You are now truly hooked.

You must now buy a new reel, new rod, braid line and especially new lures to indulge in freshwater
angling!

What fun!

Kingfish

P.S. What ammunition do you use for your slingshot ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish, yes I am hooked now and I have already started analyzing my fresh water setup.

For the slingshot I am using 9mm lead balls, I use a backdrop to catch the balls so that I can reuse them...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Venkatesan,
Congratulation for your first and nice Murrel. Pls let us know if you are interested in carps also :D .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Arefin wrote:
Pls let us know if you are interested in carps also :D .

Yes..I will be fishing for carp as well.
My friend told if there are murrels, the chances of other fishes around it will be very unlikely. Is it true??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Venkat!

Hope to see many more from you....

Maruthu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Nicely done sir. Can't wait to travel back to India and get my rod wet and lure in some Murrel and carp.

Cheers.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow that's a good first murrel !!
The slingshot looks great. Maruthu was telling me about it. That looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

Awesome Venkatesan. Nice to see you and Maruthu both making inroads into freshwater fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Awesome Venkatesan. Nice to see you and Maruthu both making inroads into freshwater fishing.

Thanks Bops..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:00 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Murrel Venky, I yet have to catch one on lure