->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:29 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 am 
Fishaholic

So we were trolling a river in Goa and I was using my tried and tested Classic Barra lure in the +10 ft version
on a relatively light 7ft travel rod( Shimano Revolution Travel 703).

I was having a miserable time holding onto the rod due to the excessive strain put onto it by the fatter profile of the Classic lure, as well as the slightly excessive speed of the boat being run by the guide (which forced the lure deeper).

The lure would hit bottom very often and collect debris, especially string rope which was time consuming to remove and we were losing valuable fishing time.

The local guide then suggested I try out the Rapala Xrap Magnum 10 lures that he had brought with him.

What a revelation!

The thinner profile of the Rapala immediately reduced the tension on the rod, making it a far more comfortable trolling session.
No more fouling of the lure as it ran at a true 10ft depth and the higher boat speed did not affect it as the lure can be trolled at upto 13 knots.

I am now a convert and plan on purchasing the Rapala Xrap Magnum 10 ft as well as the 15 ft version, the latter for deeper river areas or light trolling in the ocean.

One keeps learning something new everyday!

Kingfish

Last edited by kingfish on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 am 
Fishaholic

Rapala Xrap Magnum 15 in Redhead and Wahoo colours.

Kingfish

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by kingfish on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

Anyone else using this lure?

Readers may recall that my favourite DEEP trolling lure is the Rapala Xrap Magnum 30 but I had not paid any heed to the shallower versions of this lure previously.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

In the past I have used this lure and managed to catch GTs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

Did you catch the GTs while casting with these lures or whilst trolling with them?

As I will be buying some of these lures soon, let me know what colours attracted the GTs.

Many thanks,
Kingfish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

I got few of them, one in bonito pattern and few others in the natural shades. It is a long time back and I have forgotten the exact colors. I used them from the shore, though the tend to dig the sand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok, thanks Venkat.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 am 
Fishaholic

Used both the Shallow and Deep Divers, caught GT and Barracuda on the shallow ones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Bobby,

Happy New Year.

So presumably you caught them on the 10-15 feet models? Colours?
Were you trolling or casting them?

I have just got my consignment of redheads, wahoo,green mackerel and blue sardine and need to try them out.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Kingfish,

Happy new year to you too. I cannot remember, but I believe they were greenish yellow/brown like BNK. The cudas was trolled the GTs were spinning.

For some reason I detest barracudas, when I am fishing I'd rather not catch anything than catch cudas, I don't know why but it is a recent affliction...

Regards,

Bobby

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:08 am 
Fishaholic

Having received my order of the Rapala Xrap Magnum 10 and 15, I am in a better position to understand
the pros and cons of these lures vis a vis the Australian lures normally used for trolling or casting.

The main drawback of the Rapala lures is, and always has been, their price.

Even on sale, I could not find them cheaper than A$23 per lure in either depth. In comparison, most
Australian lures are almost half their price when picked up on sale.

In terms of effectiveness, the Australian Classic Barras and the Halco Laser Pros (available in various depths upto 8m) have a proven track record in catching fish both in Australia and India.

However, the Australian lures do not go as deep as the Xrap Magnum .... I have used the Xrap 30 ft version effectively trolling for Spanish Mackerel on the Indian Ocean side of Australia, as well as for dogtooth tuna in Fiji.

Rapala have now come out with a 40ft depth version of the Xrap Magnum, although I have not used it.

As stated at the start of this article, the shallower Xrap Magnum Rapalas are a lot easier to troll if you are holding the rod in your hand as they have less resistance going through the water, compared to the larger crosssection of the Classic Barra lure. Presumably, the former will also be easier on the arm after
a prolonged session of spinning with the rod.

I have yet to test the cast and retrieve effectiveness of the shallower Rapala Magnums and I will be trying them out in a nearby bay which has a steep drop off from the land. Trying them out on the beaches is not a good idea, as Venkat has warned me that these lures get hung up in the sand.

Hopefully, I will catch something to report.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:49 am 
Fishaholic

Some pictures to illustrate the above.

Not much difference in the width between the Classic Barra and Xrap Magnum 10 if viewed from the side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:52 am 
Fishaholic

However, the top view shows how much slimmer is the Xrap Magnum 10 in comparison to the Classic Barra, meaning it is easier on the arm when trolling or casting and retrieving.

Kingfish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:09 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kingfish i use 10 feet rapala lures for casting as you dont feel any starin while reeling them in, and have landed MJ, Barramundi, groupers on them, red head and firetiger are my go to colors, these lures are always there in my bag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:15 pm 
Fishaholic

@RaMpEr

Thanks for the input on the 10ft version ..... it seems to be an effective cast and retrieve lure judging
by the success you have had with it on several species.

Having some trouble finding it in the Firetiger pattern locally.

Regards,
Kingfish