->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:04 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

I had a guide crack in my 10' lamiglas surf and jetty conventional rod.

I was wondering if there is anyone to whom I can send my rod and have it repaired?

Thanks,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:02 pm 
Fishaholic

can you put a pic up ... will check if i have a spare guide that matches

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
can you put a pic up ... will check if i have a spare guide that matches

Thanks Fred,

It is a Fuji conventional guide that had 16 on it.
I stripped the guide and need to put a new one on it.

I shall get the pic tomorrow morning during day light and post it.

I am planning to get the supplies like guide, thread, glue, epoxy .... etc and have someone with experience repair it for me. I know Owen used to mention about building rods, but haven't seen him post for quite a while now. I'm wondering if there is anyone that I can send it to and have the work done? At the worst case, I can give it a shot myself.

Thanks, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Maruthu I broke my guides and fixed new ones.
It is not that hard.
Please let me know if you need some help

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Maruthu, you can try it yourself as it is very easy and fun to do! Watch a few youtube videos and you are ready to go. I reparied my broken guide with components purchased locally. Araldite is the commercial name of the epoxy, which is availabel in any hardware store. For the thread I just got a good polyster sewing thread. The repaired guide is doing well against the aggressive GT's. Here are the photos.

Image Image

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Last edited by h_venkatesan on Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkatesan, very nicely done. Like it.. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Venkatesan, very nicely done. Like it.. [smilie=coolup.gif]

Thanks Santosh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

heres a pictorial on how to wrap guides. The guide shows a single foot guide, but it applies to all types.

http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/in ... pic=1623.0

@ Venkatesan can you share some more details about the epoxy ? You used araldite. Does it give the same strength as expoxy used by rod makers ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

@Kashaif: Yes, I used the common Araldite available at hardware stores. After some research I found that Araldite may turn a little yellow as it doesn't have any Ultra Violet ray protection compounds. But I don't have any idea how it compares to other dedicated rod building epoxies. But it feels very strong. It had set really strong on the screw driver which I used as a spatula while fixing the guide. It is close to an year now after I fixed it, it still looks clear without any yellow coloration and is doing well aginst the GTs. I am confident of using it again compared to importing dedicated epoxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Very interesting post this is turning out to be... Common aradlite working so good ! Beautiful repair work done mr. venkatesan... So the polymer thread, The red one is the base on which you keep the guide so that It does not slip, and then you tie the violet thread to the sides(overlapping the base red thread) and then apply aradlite...am I right ? :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

@Raka: The orange/red thread gives a wrong impression that it is extending under the legs of the guide, actually it just goes very little under the legs. The legs are touching the rod and are not on the thread.

This is how I did

1) Took a new blade and carefully made a incision on the old guide wrapping length wise, without cutting the rod. The wrapping won't be hard and it is like cutting a thick rubber.
2) Inserted the blade into the incision and gave a twich to make the gap wider and now the wrapping can be peeled with hands and there come out the broken guide.
3) Marked the position of the old guide, so that the new guide can be placed exactly.
4) used a very fine sand paper to remove the remanace of the old epoxy. Carefull not to do too much to damage the rod also carefull with the marking done earlier.
5) The replacement guide I got is a little bigger than the original. I place the guide on the rod and marked the positions.
6) First I marked the position between the legs, where the legs didn't touched the guide and wrapped the orange thread there.
7) Now I placed the new guide and secured it with a adhesive tape. To the leg wihich I am going to wrap first I put a thinner tape near the base and to the other leg i put a much thicker tape.
8 ) Took two carton box and made a V-block out of them.
9) placed the rod horizontally with the help of the tow boxes, so that I can rotate the rod freely.
10) Now I finished wrapping both the legs one after the other.
11) Araldite comes with two tubes. One is the resin and other is the hardner.
12) Mixed both of them as per the specifications. Be carefull not to form air bubbles while mixing.
13) Apply the mixed epoxy over the wrapping. Application can be either single layer or double layer. For double layer another one coating of epoxy is given after around 6 hours, before the first coating sets.
14) The trick of getting a even coat is to roate the rod around 30 degrees frequently during the initial hour and around every15-20 minutes for the next few hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Maruthu,

I just fixed about 6 rods at the end of last year using Araldide over my binding. Youtube has some good clips on binding. just follow them. Binding is key, I bought special binding thread and the loop you use to pull the end under the binding has to be good. It is all on Youtube.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

It's a quick and easy repair. I always carry spare guides, proper whipping thread and some varnish for on the go repairs of rods while I'm travelling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Well personally, I feel it is not as easy as it looks. I changed the guides of one of my rods but found it very difficult to get a perfect alignment. I wish there was some place which could have changed the guides professionally. Also good guides are not available here (atleast in Mumbai). I do have a sizing chart which can help understand the required size so you can order the guides online.

My work on guides:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks everyone for the info.

I shall buy the equipment first and then try to fix the guide myself.

Thanks again, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:54 am 
Fishaholic

My Ugly Stik Light is due for a guide change. I had received the "Fuji" guides and thread from Cabelas. This thread proves it can be done if you are not lazy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Well personally, I feel it is not as easy as it looks. I changed the guides of one of my rods but found it very difficult to get a perfect alignment.

If it's a running repair, I usually only cut the whipping off on one side of the guide. I then use pliers to ease the guide off the rod and push the new guide into the hole where the original was.

This halves the work (I only have to re-whip one side), holds the guide in place without messing about with tape or similar and ensures that perfect alignment is maintained.

Sometimes, I'll even carry a few spare (salvaged) single leg guides so i can just shove the new guide in and carry on fishing if I break one.

As a related tip, always use hot melt glue to affix new tip rings (that's what they use in the factory) so you can remove a broken one in seconds with a lighter and pliers and fit a new one just as quickly.
If you use feviquick or araldite, you'll have to take a hacksaw to your rod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 pm 

hello all :D :D :D

i too am faceing the same problem but insted of buying guides at crawford mart and online i want to know if anybody has done it using homemade items

waiting for experinced replies

thanks
sergio miranda :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

You can at a push make "snake guides" from the sort of smooth stainless steel wire used for dental orthodontics but it's always going to be a bit soft and will soon groove and start damaging your line - a bit of a false economy if you're using expensive braid.

There's a tutorial on making snake guides (a rather posh version for fly rods) here:
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/rod-building ... uides.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:35 pm 

Thanks a lot Ken L for the web site awsome plenty thanks once again :D :D :D :D