->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:18 pm 
Enlightened

Hi there,

I have just been gifted a surf fishing rod by a dear friend. However I know nothing about surf fishing and the tackle that goes with it, never having fished in the sea (I have fished in the Sundrbans).

Since I now have a rod, so very kindly gifted to me along with what to a freshwater man looks like a humongous reel, I intend to try some saltwater fishing in the near future. Before going out I thought I should find out what qualities and limitations my new reel has and what type of fishing I should try with it . Not that I have much choice given that it is the only one I have!

The rod has the following written on it:

Team Seahawwk, Kasuta, KST 3603STournament Surf Casting, Line Weight 20-40 lbs, Lure weight 3-6 oz. (90-170gms.).

The Reel:

Team Seahawk, SURF JIG 6000. It has an aluminium spool and has a Max. Power of 10kg. (whatever that may mean) and max line capacity of 0.30/480, 0.35/240, 0.40/250.

Do I load it with mono or braid?

Is it good enough to begin with or in the expert class (which I doubt)? Or do I keep it as a memento of the kindness of my friend.

I would be grateful for any info.

Thanks in advance.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

The SPECs look good for SURF fishing. It appears to be from Malaysia. I don't think it should have any issues related to performance. Spool a braid on it (Power Pro) is a better option. If you intend to fish from the beach, use a short mono leader. For breakwaters and rocks use a long mono at least 2 feel longer than the rod length. The length of the leader will with stand the abuse of the rocks. Looks like a good 3 pcs rod and convenient to be on the move.

Let us know the first hand experience. Their website does not say much about their products though.

DeZZ

Last edited by teritex on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:01 am 
Enlightened

Thanks DeZZ

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Lakhyaman, mono is generally more forgiving than braid and since you are relatively new to surf fishing I suggest you use 20lb mono instead of braid. Use a 1 mt long 50lb mono or fluoro leader to start with.

The combo looks good for general surf fishing and if possible avoid dunking the reel in saltwater and it should serve you well. Remember to rinse your equipment in freshwater after use in saltwater environments..

Cheers
Bops

Last edited by IndianAngler on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Here are the specs for your reel.

Its a Saltwater Reel with max drag of 10 kgs. As Bops said, even though its a saltwater reel make sure you wash and clean it with fresh water. Open the drag knob on the reel and look at the bottom if you see something like a rubber washer that could prevent the water from entering it means you can rinse it with water. I have a DAIWA TIERRA and I rinse it with water but make sure you keep the drag tight so as to prevent water from entering the reel shaft and its chamber. You then may wipe off the access water and open the spool to double check if any water managed to get in. Wipe it off but make sure you tip off the water as there is a lube spread there. I have posted the reel schematics some where which might come in handy. Not too sure where I posted them. PM me your email and I will forward them to you.

Tight lines.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:06 am 
Enlightened

Bops

Thank you for your vital pointers and as you have suggested I have mounted 20lbs. mono on the reel. I am not just relatively new to surf fishing I have never done it. I hope to have a go in 10 days or so.

Dezz

Thanks for the specs.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:16 pm 
Enlightened

Teritex, this is probably where you posted the reel schematic?

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=2795

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:12 am 
Fishaholic

This is the rod.
http://team-seahawk.com/kasuta.html

Despite the "Lure Weight" being quoted, it's a bait fishing outfit rather than a lure rod but just the job if you fancy some fun with rays, guitar fish and small sharks using fish baits.

Personally, I'd load the reel up with some 40lb mono, get yourself some 4oz leads (lengths of lead pipe hammered over a paper clip work well), some 4/0 hooks and some nice fresh fish or squid and go play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:47 pm 
Enlightened

Ken L

My apologies for not replying earlier. I was travelling in Indis and was not in a position to log on. Thanks very much for your very useful pointers and you have the rod spotted perfectly. I am ready to have fun with any sea fish that will take my bait being a newbie. I did have an idea that this was a bait fishing rig and was intending to use it that way. Your tip on making the weights is superb and will be used immediately. Right now my friend who lives on the coast says the monsoon has coloured the water too much and that the local fishermen advise waiting until end September to try out my luck. However I am intending to give it a go long before that. Just one more question: Should I use wire traces?

Thanks again

Lakhyaman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am 
Enlightened

Hi Lakhyama,

Wire's would not be necessary if you are targeting smaller species or if you are surf fishing. Its around rocks and when you target sharks and other bigger fishes wire's are mostly used.

Regards
Prabin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:59 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks Prabin

Ken L mentioned small sharks so I wondered about wire. thanks again for clearing up my conundrum.

All the best

Lakhyaman