->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Ade, A friend of mine has fished the Cauvery for the last 7 years and has helped me quite a bit.
I agree also, that Donkey should a few fish for us!!!
:-)

Post subject: ladies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:05 pm 

There will be 2 ladies i am told as one other of the party has a non fishing wife going.

Dave is a great lad as you say, i have never fished with him but have known him through the tackle trade for many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:26 pm 
Enlightened

Darrens2,
Well done on your fish, great result for your first trip. Was the 77-pounder that came out the one that was caught by the Indian guy from Calcutta?
Heard that the fishing had picked up a bit, expect you met my mate Joe who would have been there at the same time.

Donkey,
Have been trying to get a number for the camp for you, but no luck so far. Has Dave not got a mobile with him, was chatting to my mate whilst he was out in the coracle the other day so reception isn't a problem anymore, Airtel and Reliance both work well at the camp now and can get a good signal. If I do get hold of the number I'll let you know, likewise if i hear anything about the fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:18 pm 
Enlightened

yes spoke to dave got number in the end through somebody in bangolore i no , all my tackle is there thank god !!!! dave said its fishing really really well , fish to over 50 , 40 s , 30s , and plenty more , can not wait to get there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:12 pm 

Cheers Gary,

The 77lb'er was an Indian guy, first cast on his first session this year! Very nice guy though and thoroughly deserved as his hospitality in camp was second to none....

Yes, spent a few evenings with 'good s**t man' and what a top guy! Always ready with good advice and great fun to be around. Joe had a few fish to just under 40lbs but shared in everyone elses success as if it were his own.

A really magical place and great company made my trip memerable even before the fish came along!

Darren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:36 am 
Enlightened

any body got any report on gailbore now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:26 pm 
Enlightened

Sorry mate, my mates who were there are now back in the UK. A couple of Indian friends fished at Hiara and caught some small fish but they didn't mention what else had been coming out. Tried phoning you the other day but your mobile was off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:48 pm 
Enlightened

thanks leaving on thursday , lets hope the water not gone to low , spoke to dave last week he said the water was spot on and already had some really nice fis h , any body else been down there in last week or so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Camped at Haira between Jan.18 to 22. We had three strikes one at night on ragi and two in the day on chilwa. The fish were not landed due to line breaks, bird's nest etc.
The best fish was a 7.5 kg.
Best of luck to all of you who will be in Galibore in Feb 2009.

Sandeep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:47 pm 

Flights delayed to Bangalore due to fog. He is on his 7th glass of vino - bet it's pinot grigio! Tight Lines Donkey eor, eor, eor!!

Post subject: Fishing at Galibore
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 pm 

Anyone know how Galibore is fishing please? I heard that everyone that finished during the week caught fish to over 40lb. Is that right - does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:18 pm 

I've just landed back from fishing Galibore 15-29th Jan 09. It was my first trip with 6 other anglers.

Overall fishing was excellent with 2x60's, several 50's and multiple 30lbs+. Best was 67lbs. There was lots of smaller Mahseer 2-5lbs nibbling at the ragi so needed to recast every minute or two at times. Everyone agreed that it was the best fishing for several years. My best was 35lbs so was delighted. I lost a bigger fish when my reel jammed and it broke off, ho-hum.

Water levels are perfect with daily level changes of around a foot or so. Temperature was high 80's+ and getting hotter. Most fish taken on ragi, no-one fished lures to any extent.

A few things I should have taken:
A cushion, sitting on rocks for 4 hours is no fun.
Folding wading staff, Simms do a good one.
Marmite/HP sauce/pickled onions/cheese, you'll want some variety from chicken curry every day.
Gin/Brandy/spirits for the evening.
Bum Bag and waterproof baggies for wading.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:49 am 

Hi Simon

Well done with the 35lb fish, that is a good fish and, if it is your best, it makes a new personal best an attainable prospect on your next trip. I presume the 60's were both golden mahseer?
Garden "kneelers" are great for sitting on the rocks as they don't absorb water, are lightweight, cheap and they float. I assume they are still available as mine is 12 years old!

We always used the rod as a wading staff, no problem with the reels getting dunked as long as they are decent quality and oiled/greased.
The bum-bag is fairly essential as long as you only put things in it that don't matter if they get wet!

ALWAYS put camera/video gear in a waterproof container or totally watertight bag otherwise at some stage it will probably get wrecked by a soaking. Don't think that entrusting your kit to a surefooted guide will prevent this because that's not the case! I've witnessed a lot of ruined photographic and video kit out there due to accidental "swimming".

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the update Simon.

For all those participating in this thread, please note that IA rules do not allow commercial advertisements of any kind without prior permission. This includes mention of angling guides or names of outfitters.

IA

Post subject: Any news from Galibore
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:41 pm 
Enlightened

Any know of any updates from Galibore ?

Post subject: Re: Galibore Fishing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 pm 

I am going there this wk end. Heard nothing more that 30lb for the last few weeks.

Post subject: mahseer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:23 pm 

hi,

Can anybody advice wether Galibor is better or Bhimeshwari is better in the month of April?
Hope to see the reply soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:23 pm 
Enlightened

Hmm...let me think about this one....doesnt really matter mate....Sunstroke is equally catchable from both places :-) ...

In all seriousness though....Galibore - much better bet of having some fish at least - but yeah...if it hasnt rained and the sun is beating down.. you will be cooked in 3 ways :
1. Direct Sunlight
2. Reflected Sunlight from the water
3. Radiated heat from the rocks after about 10 am or so after the rocks have had a chance to heat up

Cheers and take lots of sunblock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:20 pm 
Enlightened

any body no how gailbore fished in the last 4 weeks ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
My last trip was between Feb. 10 - 14, 2009. Camping at Haira for 4 nights.
We had good bites at Mysore Mada. My best fish was a 13 lbs Mahseer. Owen had one of about 11 lbs.

It is raining tonight in Bangalore,I wonder if it is raining at the fishing camps.

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:16 am 

Arrived back home in UK yesterday after 10 days very enjoyable fshing in Galibore. No monsters banked but 2 of my friends lost very big fish, one of whom is an exceptionly experienced mahseer angler.

Water levels were very changeable but my highlight was that I finally bagged a small golden mahseer on the fly which was very pleased with. We also seemed to catch a significant number of black mahseer amongst mostly silvers.

My fishing partner also had a frightening encounter with a croc at croc rocks, whereby it appeared to be coming straight for him, a speed. He spent the rest of that session fshing from the coracle (not sure that would afford much protection though!).

We then heard stories from some of the guides about crocs being released in the river from other locations that are supposedley more agresseive.

Can anyone verify this to be true?

As for rain there was a terrific downpour on the 12th and a lightening strike close to our tent! rain didn't seem to colour the river in any way though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:20 pm 
Enlightened

Interesting that you should mention about the black mahseer, also had plenty when i was out there in December, including some very small ones on the chilwa line - far more blacks and golds than silvers.

Not sure about the crocodiles being more aggressive, but am pretty certain that they did release a load from a nature reserve a few years back - can't remember which one - as the population there had grown too large. This was one of the things that some people thought could have contributed to the declining numbers of big mahseer along with very low water levels for a couple of years - more crocs and less water for the mahseer to hide in is not a good combination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Mate where are some pics please post :D :D

Post subject: crocs.....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:19 pm 

When we were there in January I witnessed a croc taking a goat from near croc rocks. We were in the coricle upstream when a goat suddenly hit the water and all hell broke loose............. Our guide was quite concerned and said it was a croc attack! On my last night I was less than 100m from two very large crocs fighting just below the camp pool.

Darren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:27 pm 

I think I will be tresating the crocs with more respect from now.

Here are some snaps :lol: from the trip....

My pals first trip to India and a 14lb Black to a firetiger Super Shad
13lb and a real handful
19lb on ragi
22lb on chilwa
My pal shortly before the croc incident!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 pm 
Enlightened

Have never felt that threatened by the crocs, generally seem more scared of humans than the other way round and haven't heard of many cases of them going for people.
On a recent trip to Nepal one of the spots we fished involved wading chest deep back across the river to get back to camp, we did it in the dark one night and seeing pairs of yellow eyes on the water in the torchlight does make you a bit worried, but they kept well away from us, some were gharial but also saw muggers, although only up to around 10 ft or so, not as big as some of the Cauvery ones!
Wouldn't want to get mistaken for a deer though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 pm 
Fishaholic

guys great report and some excellent pics too cheers [smilie=coolup.gif] since we are talking about the crocks why in wilderness we have them right in side the concrete jungle of Mumbai check out some pics in Image Gallery in topic "close encounter ...." :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:44 am 

When we were out there last year on the second trip we witnessed a big croc trying to drag in a cow that wandered down for a drink one evening. The incident caused a huge commotion off the beach on the far side 200 metres below Croc Rocks. We totally revised our bankside behaviour after this. The tussle lasted around a minute and the cow was lucky to get away.