->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I know a lot of you are into Penn products. I was too, I still like their rods and will still swear by Penn International Big Game Rods and Reels and Fly Reels.

Since of late I have been skeptical about their spinning reels because I heard from reliable sources about them being manufactured in China where the way to Identify the China Made reels I was told was, if the reel seat said "Penn USA" it was China Made where as if it said "Made in USA" iit was US Made. However, I wonder now if even the reels that I believe are made in the US may only have been assembled there and all parts made in China. See attached pictures of the reel below, happened recently while fighting a Large GT. The reel is supposedly USA made, just over a year old and sparingly used.

Over the last few years I have heard from very reliable sources and from personal experience of Penn Spinning Reels faltering in following ways:

1) Hard Plastic Drag Knobs Cracking
2) Caps (handle caps) falling off
3) Silent/Alarm anti-reverse switch on the underside come loose
4) Anti-reverse on/off switch coming off or coming loose.
5) Bail Springs failing
Recently
6) Drag washers failing
7) (Now) handle breaking

On the good side, I have never come across a company in the Angling Industry with better after sales service and Penn have always responded very positively whenever I have had a problem with my reels.

What I have noticed, is that reels made in China really suck (does not matter which brand) on the other side reels made in Thailand and Korea are of a much better quality than those made in China, again irrelevant of the brand.

As far as spinning reels go, I have gone back to Daiwa Japanese Made and if I am looking at saving a few bucks go in for Thai made Daiwa.

I have related this from what I have experienced and this only on their SS spinning reels, hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

hi Bobby,

You must be joking if you want go after a GT that too a large one with a penn reel!!

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby thats Serious Structural Failure it appears that the Handle(aluminium)was die casted on to a stainless steel shaft.The Torque loading around that area is rather high and it failed, well ill be checking my reels with Dye penetrant to check for hairline fractures in that area ,thanks for the tip.Did you land the GT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:35 am 
Fishaholic

Was not my reel...this was a 7500, and the GT got away

I have taken GT's upto 20 lb on Penn 8500 and see a 40lb+ GT taken on an 8500 I really do not think that the old SS Penn reels were bad but for some small niggles. Before the Stellas and Saltigas large GT's were still landed on fixed spool reels. But I understand where you are coming from Jeen, here is a difference between a 10KG drag and a 30kg drag :lol: :lol:

Just the day before I sent the guy (who had his 8500 drag busted) a Saltiga 6500z which is perhaps the best fixed spool reel on the market for Large GT. It was not a gift, he paid for it :-)

Last edited by Bobby on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Their decision to manufacture in China with rather poor quality control has not gone down well at all in the US where just about every recent product has been widely critisised on forums.
Things are not looking good in Europe either and this thread really does tell a sorry tale.
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/s ... light=penn
It's a shame. I'd like to see one of the grand old companies of tackle suply up there at the cutting edge but they seem to be hell bent on going for the cheap and nasty end of the market and that's somewhere where they simply can't compete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby.

Do agree about the big Gts on regular reels. Well, Ijust wanted to know what would a Shimano Stella 20000 and Diawa Saltiga 6500 cost in Hong kong now.The japs have still not reduced their prices and the 2008 models are like crazy expensive.

Cheers,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,

Sure will check in Hong Kong and advise, the reel I bought my friend was from Singapore when I had gone there a couple of weeks ago paid S$1060 after nego.

The Funny thing about the shop in Singapore they had 3 Saltiga reels fixed spool models released in the order mentioned below.

1. GT (I think)
2. Expedition (Which I picked up)
3. Dogfight

The GT was more expensive than the Expedition even though the Expedition was a later model, the Dogfight was the most expensive. However cost had no bearing on the quality of the reel, what mattered was how much they paid for the reel when they bought it. The Expedition 4500z in Singapore was the more expensive than the Expedition 6500z (in Singapore) for the same reason.

I bought my 4500z in Hong Kong, I get a 35% discount in Hong Kong, but I cannot recall how much I paid for my reel. I will go to the shops in the coming week, check and advise cost after discount. I have to pick up a Catalina for a friend anyway.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:54 pm 

Penn is currently owned by purefishing, who also owns other big brands abu/ron thompson + michell. Purefishing is again owned by a capital fond-
this means that quality is no longer a thing that they care about, sad but true, currently penn is being stremlined and made ready for sale again but until its sold we can only expect that that quality is going down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:36 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi Bobby.

Do agree about the big Gts on regular reels. Well, Ijust wanted to know what would a Shimano Stella 20000 and Diawa Saltiga 6500 cost in Hong kong now.The japs have still not reduced their prices and the 2008 models are like crazy expensive.

Cheers,

Jeen

Price of reel in Singapore was Sing $ 1060

Cost in Hong Kong is HK$7000 or US 903.

If any one from India wants to buy this reel get it from Singapore, especially now that the US$ has gone up, the HK$ is pegged with the US and follows the same trend. As you can see the price difference is huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

How do you rate Penn International Torque Big Game Reels. Are they available in Hong kong and what prize.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Currently with the US$ hitting the roof and the HK$ pegged with the US$ (means that the HK$ will also go up with the US$) I would not advise anyone to buy tackle from Hong Kong.

Hong Kong has always been more expensive than the Singapore but over the last couple of years the prices were more or less the same, it may be bacause the US$ fell. Would suggest you buy your reels in Sinapore at the moment the S$ has fallen considerably over the last couple of months and deals will be good.

I have seen the Torque here but did not take a look at them as they are for Jigging. I would need to check the price and advise. Really I would not be able to give you a fair apprasial on these reels as I would have to use them or play with them a bit. Reviews on the net have been satisfactory. Sorry cannot be of much help this time :(

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanx Bobby,

Regards.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Check out the new Shimano Torsa...I liked what I saw.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanx Bobby,

I surly am checking it right now.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject: Its true.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Came across this post today. A couple of months ago here in Dubai. I was at this store i called Knotika and they had displayed PENN reels I was just checking them I picked one and carefully put it back on the shelf almost 2 to 3 feet high. These were open shelves and after that I went on to check some lures and somehow that reel fell off the shelf and broke. THAT GOD DAMN THING BROKE ON THE REEL FOOT. Well that was enough for me not to lok at PENN reels anymore :) And yes one more thing... since then I gave up going to that store ;)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:16 am 
Fishaholic

I now use Daiwa Spinning Reels mostly, Japanese made. And while we are on the topic of falling reels I would like to relate an incident with my Daiwa about a couple of years ago. After good afternoon fishing we headed back to the car to drive back to the place we put up during that trip. It was about 2000hrs and we were unpacking, I took of my reel and put it on top of the vehicle (rear end) it was an Indica if I remember correctly. My mate did not notice the reel and moved his hand over the car, the reel got a good wack and flew some distance landing smack on the Air Bail causing the bail arm to bend slightly however there was no other damage to the reel. I got back to the Room checked out the damaged arm noting sivere used some pressure to try and get it back to its original shape which I did not really manage to succeed too much. Went to Vengurla the next day and landed a few good MJ's with the same reel and it is a reel I use the most ever since. It has never given me a problem.

I still recall my friend who was a total Penn fan taking the piss at me saying what is this crap reel you have and you should use Penn, wonder what would have happened if a Penn reel would have a toss like that.