->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Missing a trick
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:57 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Folks,
Its been some time since the cold wave has disappeared from Mumbai... this return to normalcy in the weather triggered the thoughts of better fishing days awaiting me and my fishing buddies, who have had an absolute frustrating time during Nov. to Jan.We condoled ourselves blaming the winters, "after all fishing in winters is a bad idea" so they say......

But now since the temperatures were rising, we were back with fresh enthusiasm.... only to have 5 trips(4 Madh & 1 Manori) with absolutely no hookups,no strikes,no bites, no nothing.. not even the pesky cat fish!

We knew there is something fundamentally wrong in our approach(remember we are new to spinning lures) so on the 6th trip(Gorai) we decided to do some bottom fishing as well(using our good old bottle rigs and prawns for bait). We cast these rigs and kept checking them periodically, as we continued to spin our Rapalas.At the end of the day we had absolutely no strikes on the lures, but at least we got some thing to cheer as we managed some smallish fish on the bottom rigs(including a baby barra!).

So I wonder if we are missing a trick with the lures?? I have tried different retrieve speeds/ different Lures/colours but nothing seems to work.. Or may be its just because our Bombay waters are too muddy & polluted for the fish to see the Rapalas.

One of our team mates landed a big barramundi(his first on a lure) in Keri(goa) with an Xrap magnum about a week back.He tried the same lucky Lure in Mumbai with absolutely no strikes.We kept spinning all day long near rocks/far out in the open/near drop offs etc. But all we had were some sore arms,aching backs and a hell lot of plastic bags!...Arrggh.. :evil: :lol:

Any advice, especially from mumbai based anglers would be seriously appreciated.Infact, It would be great if any of you experienced guys could join us on our next fishing trip and show us newbies how its done. :-)

I know there are big fish down there and some day we gonna get em. :wink:

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Madhur.

PS. Just for the record, the first 5 attempts were all in the night on the rising tide. The 6th was in the day, started on the low thru to the high tide in the evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Madhur,
Sea fishing can be frustrating if not planned properly. It is no use spinning continuously if fishes are not biting. The best way is to develop a local network who can inform you when fishes are feeding and if you coincide your trip with the feeding, you are sure to land some thing. If you do not have local support then plan your trip so as you are fishing 2 hrs, either side of tide. Try using bait casting/ bottom fishing and keep one spinning rod ready. If you observe any feeding or movement, immediately cast your lure. I am sure your luck will change.

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali Bhai,

Quote:
plan your trip so as you are fishing 2 hrs, either side of tide

that sounds good.I'll give it a try.... like rite now! just noticed your post as I was getting ready to hit our manori spot.

leaving in about couple of hours max.Wanna join us?.I know its too short a notice but It will be really cool if you could join us. :-)

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 am 
Fishaholic

From past experience fishing of manori island ,i discovered that a lot of fish in the vicinity where hooked and lost before by amateurs and where vary bout lures.Plugs work well when u have scattered feeding u retrieve slowly and a slow retrieve .....stop hold for a minute reel again.At times stop and then retrieve very fast and then slow down will guarantee strikes.............think life a fish...........u not gonna run behind a woman whos clocking 10 secs/100metres.Same with fish .Manori is good on the incoming tide with high water around 11/12 o/c then u get the outgoing which at times have had kajuras in a feeding frenzy.Unfortunately the local fishermen net that area most of the times.If ever u catch fish dont expose the fish to the locals cause the next day ull see the whole area covered in nets so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:19 am 
Fishaholic

niel,
youre a great teacher bhai. using analogies to women youre sure to drive your point across. varying retreiving speed definately makes sense to me now!!

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Neil has made a very very important point,...at any cost, try to hide your catch from the locals.

For them, netting is their bread & butter, for u just a recreation!!!.

Syd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:58 pm 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Unfortunately the local fishermen net that area most of the times.

tell me about that.. lost a firetiger on a misdirected cast. [smilie=cwl.gif] HAHAHAH LOL.... [smilie=lol.gif]

But I believe that the place has good potential..Just need to be there at the rite time when the fish are feeding...which I guess is half the trick.

Cheers,
Madhur.

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey brother I hope you have change your feeling about no fish in Mumbai by now . I hope you catch a big one soon now with best
Rajat :wink: :wink:

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
Hey brother I hope you have change your feeling about no fish in Mumbai by now . I hope you catch a big one soon now with best
Rajat :wink: :wink:

Hey Rajat,

I always believed that there are fish out there.At least that's what keeps me going on.... [smilie=happydance.gif] And Speaking of a big one, guess I would settle for any thing......even those damned eel/catfish, absolutely anything ...... HAHAHA.

Yet to get one since the time I moved on to all this fancy gear.

Regards,
Madhur.