->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: A lesson learned
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

I got out to the river late last night with a new trick up my sleave. Instead of the usual 60lb mono leader, I'd decided to start off with a 20lb flourocarbon leader (almost invisible in use becaue it's refractive index is very similar to that of saltwater) and see if this offered ay advantages.
There were more people on the beach than I've ever see (I counted 22) but predictably, they were all crowded shoulder to shoulder o the point of the spit. The tide was still comming in so I decided to fish the eddy on the inside of the river where I could have a bit of space and clipped on a 4" swimshad.

I blasted it out, let it sink down a bit and sarted the retrieve. I was idly wondering whether I'd get away with just a 20lb leader (it's suposed to be more abrasion resistant than mono) when the rod slamed over half way through the first cast.
It was ovbiously a big fish so I slackened off the clutch and just let it go (I've now decided that ou get less crazy jumping and thereforeless trown hooks if you encourage the fish to run a couple of times against a fairly light drag so that it tires itself out) and it did exactly what I wanted, powering off arround the eddy.

As I started to gain some line back, there where a couple of headshakes and a single clear of the water jump in the moonlight followed by another where she just stuck her head out.
There was a final run when she banged her head against the dropoff where the tide had cut away the sand and then she was done. I bought her up on a wave, ran over and held her to the sand as the wave retreated and pushed her up the beach on the next wave - getting soaked in the process because she decided to give me a tail assist.
Clearly she was a good fish and latter she would pull the scales down to 9.08kg.
When i saw the weight, I re-set the scales to imperial just to check my metal calculation and re-weighed. Sure enough, a little over 20lb, my new PB barra and Possibly the vindication of my experiment.
The plastic lure had been destroyed and on checking the line, there were a couple of little cuts that would have corresponded to the position of the razor sharp edges of the gill covers which explained the "pings" I'd felt through the line during the fight.
I re-tied the clip above the cuts and got ready to fish again. Predictably there were now 6 people fishing where there had previously been just me but the tide was turning and there was now nobody fishing the seaward eddy.

Half an hour after moving the tide had started to run out and I'd changed from a swimshad to a 6" Bomber "Long A" lure and there was a tap where I know there are no sandbars to run into. I slammed the hooks home and the rod looped over as another fish went streaming off. The same tactics worked perfectly (two jumps this time) but with more tide, it took longer to subdue the fish. As this one came up the beach, it was almost the double of the first one and would latter weigh in at 8.7kg's (19lb), so I would have beaten my previous PB with either fish.
On checking the line, there was no indication of any damage but by the time I had put the fish safely up the beach I turned arround to find that once again there had been a migration of my fellow anglers and I couldn't get near where I had been fishing.

I ranged the beach and river for a while before deciding to fish the ain run for a while. I have an advantage here because I can outrange all of the locals by a good 20m (They're spinning with 40lb+ mono), even when throwing little 4" baits so I can reach the slightly deeper water where the Mangrove Jacks hold out at that sstage of the tide. After a couple of casts, wham and I was into a little thug of a fish that fought like a barra of two or three times its size and came in after a minute of so. Several more bites were had but predictably, most of them were jacks grabbing the tails of the baits and I had no more hookups.

I'm now an official flourocarbon convert, although I might up the strength to 30 or even 35lb for future trips, just to give myself a wider safety margin. I only saw two other fish landed, Angelo lost one when a hook straigtened and Ashok didn't have a bite despite both now using mono leaders. Sure, some of it will come down to my increased range but I reckon flouro is the way to go and if I get chance to try it on UK bass this summer, I will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report Ken,

I will give Flurocarbon a shot as well, I certainly believe that the leader makes a huge difference in strike rates..

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Nice write up and congrats on ure new PB. I'm glad the shad worked :lol:

What fluoro are you using?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Flouro was Ocean Master extreeme from BassPro.
The shad was unmodified - I'll have to get the bits we were discussing when i get back to the UK.

As you mentioned shads, I'm also going to have to check out the new Daiwa ones - they have a second hook mounted further back - might be just the job for jacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

Nice write up Steve .... which part of Goa were you fishing mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Who's Steve? Fred, what you drinking mate?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

No time to take a piss Bops so question of driniking does not arise as I will have to pee in my pants ... :lol: :lol: My ass is in a sling and Im up to my eyballs trying to make up a loss of 4 crores ( any forummers have any ideas how to do that ) :cry: :cry: :cry: ... fluffing Indian teams back from their frigging jaunt and im left holding the can ... 500 + cabins on Carnival cruise lines for 20 nights ... 500 + match tickets for the super eights and semi and finals that I have to get rid off

The pain is that bangladesh has taken Indias place in the draw and I was in that country coupla days back trying to hoick the cabins and match tickets .. no such luck :evil: :evil:

Srilankans match tickets me no have so cud nt offload the tickets and cabins to them ...was in lanka yday just got back this morning ... Bobbee trying to get me drunk for the last few days but i have been unable to see him .. he leaves tomorrow for Blr so maybe if i finish early today will call him over

Guess we have to Blame Indira Gandhi for creating Bangladesh
and Hanuman for not burning all of Lanka down

Nice report Ken ..... can i call you Steve :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Fred, auction those cruises on Ebay.com :lol:

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hold On Fred,

Just received a message that Bangladesh caught using dope and may be disqualified, India may be called back..

All the best

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

U pissing up my leg Bobster ????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:07 pm 
Fishaholic

No Serious, check the news channels, I just double checked with the sender, says it's true..

For your sake hope it's not just a rumour. India do not deserve a second chance..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry Fred, false alarm mate. I asked the guys to double check with their sources and it turned out to be a hoax :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobster im gonna shoot your parrot next time youre down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi john,

Sorry , I mean Fred.

I usually fish at Keri, Querrim or however people are spelling it that week. It's the on the south shore of the Teracol river right up on the northern boarder of Goa.
Unfortunatly, its getting kinda crowded of late with guys comming up from all over north Goa including weekend groups from Panaji (Panjim) so I also fish a couple of rivers up in Maharashtra when I get the chance.
The other option for getting away from the crowds is to fish from a boat but you have to know the river and it's not at all safe if there's a big sea running.

The stuff about fish location, playing tactics and leaders should apply to almost any medium sized Indian river though.

Ken.

BTW. "Steve" will just complicate things as Mr Lockett uses that name. If you don't like Ken, call me Barbara - It's the name I use at weekends.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:34 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Ken L"]Hi john,

Sorry , I mean Fred.

I usually fish at Keri, Querrim or however people are spelling it that week.
BTW. "Steve" will just complicate things as Mr Lockett uses that name. If you don't like Ken, call me Barbara - It's the name I use at weekends.......[/quot]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

:badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
Nice one Ken.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

You dudes are a scream :lol:
Yeah Fred i was wondering how you were doing. Thought your butt would be on fire with India out of the tourney.
Never mind it can't get any worse now, or can it ? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:27 pm 
Fishaholic

They starting a Twenty20 World Cup...

Bad enough they can't get runs on the board and now they asking them to get runs in a jiffy [smilie=huh-ani.gif]

OOOH, AAAH, INDIA !!
[smilie=zzz.gif] [smilie=zzz.gif] INDIA !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Oh Yeah Hi Barbara ... thought i knew you from Somewhere ... sorry for the goof up Ken ... tight lines mate

OMO .. ive got the whole fire brigade round my ass and they still cant put out the fire .. doubt if they will ... cant get any worse .... boy wait till the fluffing accountants and audit gets in the fray ...then ill need all the Kaveri water to put out the fire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:40 pm 
Fishaholic

How apt the subject of this thread has turned out to be :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi fred, .. u also look in to tours for trade events..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Santosh the works ... rubber plastic u name it ... dusseldorf hannover china all over .. but rite now my worlds Barbados and the fires burning bright .... just a little time for the ashes :P :P :P :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 pm 
Fishaholic

fred.. send the cabins & match tickets as gift to the indian team and their family members.. OFFICIAL SPONSOR OF INDIAN TEAM TO THE WORLD CUP..
:P :twisted:
would be nice to see them in stands cheering for Bangladesh... :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
the fires burning bright .... just a little time for the ashes :P :P :P :P :P :P

buddy check the bright burning fires :shock: .... fellow members (including me) would be sad to see fredfish turned in to friedfish... :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 am 
Fishaholic

Here's a photo of the two Barra at 20lb and 19lb with a nice mangrove jack as well
Shot with FinePix A400 at 2007-07-23

Post subject: Hey Ken L
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 am 
Enlightened

Hey Ken L nice pic.
BTW where and when did u catch them.

Happy Fishing
Vinayak :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Querrim on 28.03.07 - Story at the top of the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Yeah, Freddy I waited like a moooooonstruck [smilie=headfuck.gif] [smilie=mad.gif] lover waiting for his drink with you, but no luck. All you could have done was to sell those cruise tickets to the indainanglers at a huge discount, we would have shouted in unison ` HURRAH FOR SOTC` and had a great fishing holiday.

Many googlies on this thread. Bops, should issue a warning, to all tight liners, who like me believe, seven-thirsty, and not to be on the net. :P :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:36 pm 
Fishaholic

And forgot to add, Ken, good write up, where the hell do you find the time?????????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hey, what's the problem with time. I was on my hollidays when I wrote the article above and the mahseer stuff (there's more about the mahseer fishing on AN if you follow the link on the mahseer forum) and what is a boy to do in the middle of the day when I've already had breakfast and it's to early to start drinking ?
It's either sit down like a geek in front of a PC and write bragging stories to entertain you guys (and hopefully share a bit of hard earned information and experience) or park my self in a bar with a coffee and watch scantily clad Russian and Isaeli girls walk by.

Come to think of it, you're right. How do I find the time ?