->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:41 am 

Off to Tamil Nadu in March for 3 weeks visiting Aid projects and I am tempted to take my travel rod with me.
Any suggestions as to what I may target and what gear to take.
Rather fancy going as light as possible as I will have only 1 small rucksack and will be traveling by public transport
TIA
Ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 am 
Fishaholic

A travel rod would be a good idea even if you do not use it. I know what if feels like when I go to a place and wish I did have a rod.

I am leaving for Phuket in a couple of hours and I have taken my travel rod... :lol: even though it is not a fishing trip.

Post subject: Fishing in Tamilnadu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:59 am 
Enlightened

Hello Ian,

The Tamilnadu coast is quite long, it depends which part you will visit. At the entrance where the sea connects with a backwater, called a bar, Pulicat, 35 miles north of Chennai, Ennore closer (Ashok Leyland Factory), Pulicat is a better bet and Kovalong south of Chennai on the Mahabalipuram road. There are similar spots along the coast down to Point Calimere including the esturary of the River Cauvery.

This is the time for the threadfin salmon or rawas in Hindi, Kala in tamil.
The baramundi known as the bekti in Hindi, Khajura in Marathi and koduva in Tamil. Also trevally and barracuda.

All take a variey of plug and silver spoons. Live prawn a favourite.

Let me have your e-mail, shall give you an address.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Don Smith had mentioned more on some nice places around Chennai. But there is a place to fish for Big Giant Trevallies in Chennai (I have not seen anglers there). The fish are not there all the time, but when the conditions are good, there are too many of real huge Giant Trevallies. Bring some large poppers and some heavy gear if possible to hunt these bad guys. I will try to take pictures of those GTs making the surface action next week if they are in.

LF

Post subject: GT,s off Chennai
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:28 pm 
Enlightened

Hi LF,

Tell me where. Must meet up with them.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Don Smith,

It is the fishing harbour in Chennai.
I went there yesterday, there was not any GT action but a guy caught a barramundi on live shrimp (I estimate it to be 8 pounds).

LF

Post subject: Fishing off Chennai
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:08 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks LF. I am hoping to do a bit of deep sea fishing in the next few days and if you give me your phone number I will get in touch. Mine: 9845173984.

Tight Lines.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:13 am 
Fishaholic

Don Smith,

I will give you a call tomorrow. I have heard that ladyfish had started coming in during night times in the fishing harbour. I will be bait fishing for ladyfish in the harbour with a friend of mine (he is an expert) in the next few days.

If you are after big Giant Trevallies, then I will say you fish the Chennai fishing harbour. Yesterday morning the water was very blue (clear) in the harbour which is considered to be good sign for GTs by the Pros, but there was no GT action on the surface, but I saw a swirl in the water (only once), which I am quite sure is not a GT.

Form what I have heard about GTs and from 5 minutes of a fight I had with a GT, I would say "they deserve to be released to fight another day".

LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

You are referring to the true Ladyfish or Whiting?

True Ladyfish are from the Tarpon family and love poppers. They are found around GT's. Pound for pound they are one of the toughest fish I have encountered and hit the lure real hard so much that when I first encountered them I lost the first 2 - 3 fish because the line broke from the knot. I use 4 - 6 lb line to catch them and because it was so fine it cut into itself. I had to change the knots to either a Biminni Twist or Spider Hitch and then tie a unit know with the double, only then I started to land them.