[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Advice on rod for Mangrove Jack - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:30 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:10 pm 

Dear Maruthu,

Congrats on you Konkan trip [smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif] . Thanks a lot for you post and the recommendation. I do feel that your offer is fair. The issue is I am not an skilled enough to use the conventional reel. Currently I am using only spinning reel.:oops: So at this point in time I am afraid if I can buy the tiger rod from you.

By the way what do you think of the rod that I have short list? Any advice is welcome.

Once again thanks and wish you tight lines.

Regards,
Gitesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:20 pm 

@Viraad Krishna

Hello Captain,

Glad to see you here. Yes of course I remember you and I am in touch with Kannan. I am planning to be there on 5th and 6th of April. Let me know if you are there at that time.

With the current gear at this location I have landed more than 20 sea catfishes, Grouper,Croakers and pulled up a sting ray till the shore. Last year there was a group from Dubai, they did land a decent trevally. The place is productive but we need to be super alert and have the right tools to land the MJ. It is a really smart fish.

I feel that the rod should be as sensitive as a hand line. The rods that I have are either too heavy or too light. I hope I can have the right rod for the upcoming trip. Dreaming of MJ's all the time :lol: .

Hope to see you soon and wish you tight lines.

Regards,
Gitesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

@Gitesh

I would say that the rod you have short listed should be just fine for the job.

Tight lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:19 pm 

Humaid,

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it much.

Regards,
Gitesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 pm 
Fishaholic

the 2 piece spinfisher is by far recommended by most anglers far and wide. Good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Gitesh,

The rod you have mentioned in the original post will be just fine for what you are asking.

A lite 7' graphite inshore rod, along the lines of a Shimano teramar southeast inshore rod rated up to 25# line, paired with a reel in the size of an Abu 5500 (with level wind) loaded with 50# power pro should be ideal for MJs. They are made just for this purpose, inshore fishing that is :-)

Should be light as feather and you'll be able to cast a 3" storm plastic lure out there accurately without any issues. Smaller bait casters are so much fun to use. My favourite setup for MJs is a 7' G-Loomis Pro blue (PBR843C) rod paired with a Shimano Calcutta 300TE. I'd say that you made the right choice by not buying my Penn Jigmaster as it is once of the hardest to cast and I have 3 of them :D I use 2 of them with my surf rod (500L and 505HS) and the other one is a backup :D

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:41 am 

@Omesh

Thanks for the input and reassurance. I am going for it :D

@Maruthu

Thanks for the detailed post. I feel much more confident to go with the purchase. I just wanted to make sure I dont make another mistake by buying the wrong tackle. :D

I feel like I dodged a bullet from the bait caster. I am sure I would made a mess on my first cast :lol:.

Your choice of rod is really good. Really high end gear. [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Once again thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Gitesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:46 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Gitz....

Just to share some. I am not so much a lure casting angler though I do have a bait caster set of Shimano Axis 100 coupled with a shakespeare rod and a spinning set of Abu Garcia Veritas & AG Cardinal C704 (2500 size). For snaggy area, I prefer using Plastic or spoon as they are much 'economical'. If casting from a boat, a "lure retriever" is a must to save my lure. Fiberglass can be good if you are casting heavy lures and if you wanna build a bicep of a bodybuilder... hehehe

Just to share :

Links to commercial sites are not allowed

IMHO .. If your are seriously into 'lure casting' and you casting radius is around 15-25ft max. go for 7ft graphite fast action rod, sensitive for the swimming action of your lure. And reel of max 2500-3000.

Bait caster set can be good. But in my opinion the choices are limited in India. If you happen to travel to Thailand, Malaysia or Singapore, try to stop for any tackle shop. Just bring the money, still cheaper those in Australia or US.

I have yet tested the Indian waters thus my knowledge can be limited.

regards.