[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Seahunter custom lures.. With first trip/testing report - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:26 am 
Fishaholic

The quest to create my own fishing lures was always burning inside me, but was lacking in intensity as don't know where to start. Of late I found myself stuck in Bangalore and not doing fishing as I would want and the urge to do fishing was ever increasing. One night while dreaming about fishing, this thought came to my mind, "why don't I do something related to fishing while I am stuck in a place minimum 350 kms away from sea?". This kindled the fire within and to keep the fire going I decided not buy any more lures and to use my own lures for the next trip.

So it all started and I was found mostly in timber yards, hardware store, paint shops, tool stores and my living room was a mess...Now few months have gone since I started and I am started seeing the results now and I wanted to share it with fellow Indian anglers.. Here are the first ones out of the production line..my favorite redheads... I have christened them "Seahunter". They feature wooden body, marine grade stainless steel through wire construction, bullet proof lips [smilie=thatworks.gif], custom made 3d eyes :twisted: , anti scratch glossy finish and have excellent action. Lure body measures about 6 inches and I don't have a small scale to weigh them :( .

There are ready to be released into wild next month...

More waiting in the production line to be dressed.... Stay tuned!!!

Last edited by h_venkatesan on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:45 am 
Fishaholic

You are a legend and a man of passion.
The lures look incredible and I'm sure are going to lure some massive GTs and many more species :)

Cheers, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hats off to you VENKY [smilie=coolup.gif] that's a fine piece of art :D

Welcome to the Elite Club of Lure makers

any plans for mass production & distribution ?? :wink: let me know ! I want to be the first one :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:27 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks Maruthu and Sayed...

@Sayed: As of now I am preparing lures for myself for the coming trip next month. Definitely I am going to make lures after the trip and I will let you know.. Few different prototypes are under testing, will update once done..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Venky,

Sorry I lost your contact all these day.

Your efforts are fabulous.

Hope those guys play with the fish safe and land them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 am 
Fishaholic

The lures are luring me!! Awesome job there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice work !! They look very good. Let us know how you do with these plugs

Post subject: superb
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

these lures look amazing...let every lure land a fish...what is the weight and length???best wishes mate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

you are my hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks to each one of you.....

Last weekend I managed to get a few out of production line... Here they are....

All of the finished lures so far..

I am running against time now :evil: .. 2 weeks to go, for the lures to go on a hunt. Hopefully I should finish all the lures by then..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:19 am 
Fishaholic

that is great stuff dude am impressed, did you put rattle in them ? and am very much impressed with the painting work, my bet is on the red head and hot tiger for maximum bites

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Wow.......Venky.
Stunning.
Looks better than the ones on the shelf.
There cannot be anything more thrilling than catching a fish on self made lures.
All the best lad.
Keep us informed of the lure action/catches.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

Venky,

This is awesome Sir, Waiting to see these ones take a lot of those girls for the party

Ezek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:42 pm 

Absolute brilliance..!! These look as good as the ones bought from stores. [smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif] [smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif] [smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif]

Last edited by screamingdrag on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Gr8 efforts and lovely lures!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Great lures!

Keep at it and your hand carves will get way better than cheap factory lures :)

BTW, I'll the one in blue with scales ;)

Cheers,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Once again I repeat " Very fine pieces of Art " :D

Be carefull Venky !! all the lure Companies are jealously watching your every move !! you are a Marked man :twisted: :twisted: Don't go fishing alone :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkatesan,

These look awesome.
Next time you make a batch, you can try some with a metal lip, like one in these.

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/902904/ ... -hcl-4sale

You can vary the swimming depth by slightly bending the lip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Congrats
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Superb lures and amazing paint job. We're u using a airbrush? I too make lures, a small suggestion. The bib is fitted a bit shallow. Try and embed it a bit deeper. Also keep a little more material around the bib to give it structural support. Failure to do so will cause the lure neck to snap off when under load.
Regards
Cavalier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes.. Just started using airbrush.. Looks can be deceptive :lol: The bibs extend very deep into the eye.. The finish has hidden it all...The material is way thicker than what halco uses and I think nothing to worry about it...Have tested with very good load far beyond my drag settings..Only after the comming trip I can say how well it hold..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:07 pm 

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:53 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 am 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Few more lures...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Finally I managed to complete the remaining lures just in time :lol: :lol: . I had to rush a bit to complete them and here they are...

The latest lures....

All of the finished lures....

Most of the times when I reach for a lure that too when the bites are happening, I will get a bunch of tightly tangled lure mess.
By the time I manage to untangle them with few bites to my hand the fishes would have disappeared into the blue. So this time I wanted to avoid the problem and here is the solution :lol: ...

Fingers crossed and I am all excited, this weekend Seahunters are going for their first hunt... Let us hope for the best..

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Amazing job..all the best for this weekend:-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:12 am 
Fishaholic

Good luck!

I have a feeling that the Zeebra lure is going to bring in some barracudas ;)

Cheers, Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Venkat,

You will be sure winner this time with all kind of fishes bending your rod.

All the best and waiting for those beauties in your hands.

How deep they will dive in? Are they like crazy deep ones?

Zack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Awesome work Venky! congratulations and best of luck for this weekend! can't wait to see them beauties!

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:06 pm 
Enlightened

Top work there venkatesan.......love the lures [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject: awesome
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Awesome work bro...tight lines...big tight lines...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Oh my god!!!! That sure is some fantastic piece of work.
Eagerly waiting to hear from you on the catches.

Ravi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks to everyone...

Just returned from my trip. I am glad to announce that, the lures are working much better than expected [smilie=upyeah.gif] [smilie=upyeah.gif] . My crude testing shows they can very comfortably reach 8+ feet depth. I lost 3 lures :oops: :oops: to bottom snagging while testing for depth and speed.

I went with full of dreams about catching fishes with my lures, but upon reaching it was apparent that I have to wait longer. The terrain has remarkably changed, the sea was very shallow with huge waves and the entire region just filled with sand and mullets. Not even a single instance of action of what so ever.. I am hopping it will become better within a couple of months...

In the mean time I am planning to give life of the smaller cousins which are just a drawing as of now..

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Venkatesh,

Good to hear about the lures action and depth, sad to see the sea were not a user friendly this time.

Look forward to hear a surprise soon.

Zack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 pm 

hats off veakat anna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:46 pm 

Hi Venkatesan
Beautiful lures, I also tried making spinners, but the problem I faced was that when I cast them in the river they are swept to the shore by the current, please tell me what should I do in order to prevent my spinners from washing to the shore as I am new at angling do guide me as to the appropriate lure for the river
Regards
Jitendra
P.S(Could not post the pic of the spinner so I have made it my profile pic do let me know of it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm 
Fishaholic

wow thats great news,my friend has caught fish on homemade lures while trolling\
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:03 am 
Fishaholic

Does the blades rotate while retrieving?? Other than giving a flash the rotating blades give stability to the spinner when retrieved against the current.
There are more number of elements to the design of the spinner like size of the blade; weight and length of the spinner etc...All these elements needs to be balanced out for the spinner to work.
Just try out a good spinner and your spinner side by side and observe keenly the differences. Change the weight/size etc.. and again do your observations and you will get and idea about the different elements which make the spinner work.

I am predominantly a saltwater angler, so cannot help you in choosing a lure for river. My guess would be a couple of Mepps spinners and small shad type lures...
Please post your queries in fresh water forum and surely you will get help..
For posting image, create a account in a image hosting site like photobucket, upload your photos there and insert the link for the image (the one with [IMG] tag) here..

Regards,
H.Venkatesan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:01 pm 

Hi Venkatesan
I did test the spinner and it was rotating beautifully and was stable (was pulling straight not wobbling) yes I will look into the weight and length factors and will test it against a mepps spinner to study the difference. Thank you
Regards
Jitendra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:13 am 
Enlightened

Post subject: wanted lures
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:28 pm 

hi venkatesh

can you send me some lures for salt water,

let me know how i have pay you.

ramesh

Post subject: Re: wanted lures