->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Mangrove Jack
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of a Mangrove Jack caught on my last fishing trip in India.

Just before I took this one I lost an even larger fish who cut my 80lb leader over some rocks. It was another MJ, after I lost that fish I must have cast around with another Red-White lure for about halfhour - 45 minutes to no avail. As soon as I switched lures to this blue-mauve lure I was hit on my first cast.

Note how he has taken the lure from behind

Last edited by Bobby on Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:15 pm 

Nice picture Bobby.. What rod & reel were you using?

Cheers,
Alexis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Alex,

The rod is a custom build G-Loomis Spinning Rod.

The reel, is a Japanese Daiwa Firearms 4000, funny thing was that we were fishing in another spot the previous evening and I was trolling with a 30lb trolling reel.

I had set up the same rig as in the photo to spin which I did not do, while packing up late that evening, I had taken off the reel off the rod and kept it at the back on the car and my mate swung his hand and hit the reel by mistake, it landed hard on the ground straight on the bail-arm. Which bent slightly. Other than that no damage.

So I had damaged the reel even before using it. I managed straightnening it out later that evening and I worked just fine on the fish!

Post subject: Re: Mangrove Jack
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:45 pm 
Enlightened

Hi bobby
u are right about the colour, this weekend I was using a green fire tiger which usually gives me good hits, but as soon as I chaneg to blue grey (slight orange at the bottom) broken back Storm lure I was hit by an MJ. I was fishing in the south of Goa a little after vasco and rode a dirt track and trekked for about hour before I reached this amazing spot .. there was a lot of sea weed in the water ..(any idea what game could be found close to sea weed). I caught a snapper and then while I was packing up .. I saw Ravas feeding close to shore down from the hill .. in fact the place was so wooded that i frightened a Peacock on my way back in the afternoon .. will go back for the ravas asap
cheers
Dean

Bobby wrote:
Hi Guys,

Here's a picture of a Mangrove Jack caught on my last fishing trip in India.

Just before I took this one I lost an even larger fish who cut my 80lb leader over some rocks. It was another MJ, after I lost that fish I must have cast around with another Red-White lure for about halfhour - 45 minutes to no avail. As soon as I switched lures to this blue-mauve lure I was hit on my first cast.

Note how he has taken the lure from behind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats a nice fish Bobby. How much of a fight did that pretty thing put.
Was it caught from a beach or from a Jetty. What size lure were you using.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

It was a bit of a scrap, I had lost another one just before it managed to cut my 80ln mono trace on the rocks.

The fight was not very long considering I was using 20lb fireline, the worring thing was getting cut of as I was fishing from rocks and the terrain was rocky both large and small rocks all round.

MJ's are like streetfighters, they hit the lure real hard and run for the rocks the moment they realize they are at a disadvantage. But unlike fish like Rock Cod that "stay" down a hole they keep moving about so you always have a chance, but you need to get the timing right.

The lure was 5 inches in length.

Regards,

Bobby

Last edited by Bobby on Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

I saw a guy in a Jetty who took a smaller one may be around 18 inches with a dead shrimp. It was in maroon colour, I thought it was a red snapper before I visited indian angler. I had been fishing with poppers and heavy tins while the bigger ones were not around and while others were catching small barramundis (with live shrimp) and MJs, ignoring smaller fish which are of sure fun.

I should be going with smaller fish catching plugs, that was the reason I was selling that big Gibbs lure.

Thanks,
LF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi LF,

Yes a lot of people call Mangrove Jacks, Red Snapper thats the problem with common names, a kingfish in Australia is not what a kingfish is in America. :D

I have had 2 tussles with really huge MJ's one at night when he took the lure about 8 feet away from me and ran the entire length of the jetty proceed to Rub the leader on the corner at the other end, I could feel it. then cut through the leader and when I got the other half of the leader back the swivel just disintegrated in my hand, it fell appart into crumbs. I have never experienced anything like that ever before or after. The swivels were top quality Yo-Zuri ones.

On that same trip earlier that day my father-in-law hooked into a 2 - 3lb GT. After the GT came a huge MJ he was all lit up and swam around the guy saw about to hit and then dissappeared into the depths, I immediately changed lures to a 6" lure, he took it first cast, but considering I was only using 6lb line and the terrain I did not stand a chance the cut me off on the very first run.

Poppers while they work sometimes on Barramundi they do not work with MJ's, as they like to take slightly below the surface.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:03 am 
Fishaholic

:wink: nice pic mate :wink:

Keep up the good work. :wink: