->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Jarbua Terapon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:04 pm 
Fishaholic

I see these little beasties in all sorts of salt, fresh and brackish water locations along the coast.
Usually they're tiny but the biggest one I've caught was a little over 30cm in length.
I really struggled to identify the species but after posting how I tend to try to identify freshwater species on Ali's "exotic Powai" thread, I decided to trawl through the saltwater species present in India to see if I could get an ID.

So, for anyone else who has struggled to ID this little beastie, here's his photo. Not mine though, this one off the net.

Photo Resized

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:07 am 
Fishaholic

i have heard them referred to as terapon.. for quite some time...for their size the put up a good scrap.. a 30 cm on should have been a good fight... i have mostly caught them on beaches when casting out small baits for whiting (ladyfish) and juvenile fingermark...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

Taraporewala Aquarium in Mumbai labels them as Target Perch in English and Hajaam (common name as I have heard of it from locals too) in Hindi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Caught a same sized beauty in UAQ once, good eating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Started of my fishing catching these .....We call them Zebra fishes or "nakira" as the local kolis call them ... get them in scores during the rains and other times just behind my house in shallow water ...2 / 3 feet when the tide starts coming in ... the smaller ones we catch on sea roaches and the larger on salt water worms ............never known them to take a lure .... largest ive caught is around 5 inches on bait .......good eating .... infact the locals staple during this time of the year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

It looks very similar to what we call a Spanish Flag .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:30 pm 
Fishaholic

They call it a tiger fish in south africa..used to get them in plague proportions in st lucia on the east coastof sa..plenty in indian waters..mainly on bait but can pick them up on soft placcies..spikey little buggers!

Last edited by worldfisher on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
spikey little buggers!
That they are but the one I had was big enough to both look and feel like a slightly deeper bodied version of a European (Sea) Bass so it was easy enough to handle.
They do look similar to a Spanish Flag but they are Lucjanids and the Terapon isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:34 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Started of my fishing catching these .....We call them Zebra fishes or "nakira" as the local kolis call them ... get them in scores during the rains and other times just behind my house in shallow water ...2 / 3 feet when the tide starts coming in ... the smaller ones we catch on sea roaches and the larger on salt water worms ............never known them to take a lure .... largest ive caught is around 5 inches on bait .......good eating .... infact the locals staple during this time of the year

My first salties as well, good ol zebras, we used to tire of them due to the sheer number we used to catch, we were after Bream and Whiting when these buggers used to be a real pest taking the bait. Fred I have taken them on lures in both Bombay and Hong Kong. They hit the lures more out of aggression than anything else, I have seen them strike the lure several times before gettign hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby. Welcome back. We missed your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:15 pm 
Fishaholic

I watched a small group of them hunting earlier this year. Next thing you know, a prawn leapt from the water and lay completely still on the sand. The Terapons just milled around looking vexed so I went for a look at the still unmoving prawn. I picked it up, had a look at it and tossed it back into the little lake where it was immediately torn to pieces by the terapons.
It was only afterwards that it dawned on me that leaping from the water and remaining completely still was the prawns escape strategy. Flopping about would either get it back into the water before the terapon had moved off or attract the unwanted attention of birds.
Sorry prawn....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:45 am 
Fishaholic

hahahahahahahaha... tragic comedy ken .. for the prawn... such is life ... we think we're helping out , but we're just instead , it's the frying pan to the fire story...hahahaha..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hehehe nice one Mr. Ken! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:19 pm 
Fishaholic

On the positive side, I have some flies and some lures that look just like little prawns and although I have caught Terapon before, I haven't had one since I started keeping a proper year by year species list. Can you guess what I'kk be doing next time I visit the place ? - even if it's only for 10 minutes of messing about...