->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Monster Grouper snap
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:54 pm 
Fishaholic

was in goa for 2 days and just got a day for fishing with my friend Keith, a long walk towards the spot at around 4pm as we reached a big splash of about 10ft of water drenched us , and at that moment i told my friend that its a blessing from god :lol: . We then started to get ready with our rods n reels my friend decided to use a green macrel of rapala , and i used a storm red headed , we both used 60lb sufix braided lines 150meters, with him using a pioneer pinnnacle || power graphite 9 feet, (medium heavy) , and me with abu garcia tournament series 9 feet rod-(heavy), as the time hit pass half an hour my friend got a bite and moved very slowly the drag was loose thats how we realized thats its something very big who is not aware of our drag which was loose for this big guy!(prediction of blessing was true :lol:) :shock: we were not really ready for this big fish to show up.. i reeled back my line and walked to my friend as he called out. we were not sure what was on the line , after about 20min i saw something dark brown at 60mt my guess was rite it was a huge Grouper would be around 35kgs :shock: :shock: as my friend was tired fighting it for half an hour he then handed the fight to me, it was giving us a very tough fight as we were worried about the rod ,and the line too , we had only 150mts which was a big problem now , we could see the line getting over with about 90% of drag tight, it just would not give up, there was no other way than to tighten the drag full and start reeling back , it was 45min already fighting . when i started to pull him " snap" the rod broke Damn (i dint have a choice )it was already 1hour passed with no line left with us to give him drag . as the rod broke i handed the rod to my friend and caught the line with my hands and then with no drag left in about 5 min the metal line at the other end snapped and there we were lost a fight against the toughest monster , with our sad faces, but at the end of the day we were happy that we got such a incredible fight to experience. here are some pictures of the damage the monster did.

Post subject: Ohhhh
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:47 am 
Fishaholic

:( :(
So sad that you lost the fish. But glad you enjoyed the fight. Its a memory that will last for long. Hope you land it the next time :)

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats guys. You'll got an oppurtunitie to have once in a life time exprience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

thank u Fishaholic's.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

I've been hearing reports of increasing grouper numbers in Goa. Well done on getting stuck into one but tough luck on the tackle failure. Hopefully you'll land the next one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Next time you would definitely get a bigger one than this one. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 pm 
Enlightened

woooo....must be quite a fight....am sure this will make you more prepared for the next time....and will have chance to see some prized catch....all the very best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow- Some amazing fight you had there. It is amazing that the fight lasted for such a long time without the fish taking shelter under some rocks. The bend of the rod says it wall. Good fight, good fun and a fish Lost.. :D

Trust me this incident will haunt you in your dream and this will be the ultimate motivation which will pull you beside the water in search of same thrill.

Congratulations.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Wow- Some amazing fight you had there. It is amazing that the fight lasted for such a long time without the fish taking shelter under some rocks. The bend of the rod says it wall. Good fight, good fun and a fish Lost.. :D

Trust me this incident will haunt you in your dream and this will be the ultimate motivation which will pull you beside the water in search of same thrill.

Congratulations.

Regards,

Ali.

trust me its already haunting , and i am just waiting to hit goa again :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:26 pm 
Fishaholic

As Alibhai said...bend of the rod says it all. I don't know how you take it but I am glad that the rod broke (not that I do not want you to land a fish, I do hope you catch such monsters)...its an experience which I am sure has taught a lot (this comes from the person who broke two rods with nothing in water :D).
But seriously, the fun is as much in the fight as is in landing the fish.
I do hope you catch this monster and its friends soon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:22 pm 
Fishaholic

MM wrote:
As Alibhai said...bend of the rod says it all. I don't know how you take it but I am glad that the rod broke (not that I do not want you to land a fish, I do hope you catch such monsters)...its an experience which I am sure has taught a lot (this comes from the person who broke two rods with nothing in water :D).
But seriously, the fun is as much in the fight as is in landing the fish.
I do hope you catch this monster and its friends soon :D

:-) :-) :-) yes i was very happy that i faced this monster who broke the rod, and has given me a lot to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 am 
Fishaholic

You had almost won the fight coz you said that the grouper surfaced once. Surprisingly again it gave you a tough fight. Normally groupers dont come to the surface unless they are extremely tired or they have given up the fight. I have experienced this many times. But anyways you will never forget this fight in your life. Better luck next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 am 

Sounds like a great fight ...... thanks for sharing the pics and the trip report .... Sad u lost the fish but hope next time u land the monster .

Reading thru the trip report a few tackle related questions came up ...Thoughts on these points would be appreciated
1: Do u think if u had 250 mts of braid spooled on ur reel instead of 150mts .....
would it have been enuff 2 fight and land this monster ???? ( the point being .. Is top shotting with 150 mts of braid a better option or is spooling the reel all the way thru with braid a better option..... in case u land a big one )
2: Would a heavy mono of 20-30 lbs with a heavier shock lead be a better option when fishing rocky places ... ????? as compared to loading the reel with braid which dosent mix with rocky ground so well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:
Sounds like a great fight ...... thanks for sharing the pics and the trip report .... Sad u lost the fish but hope next time u land the monster .

Reading thru the trip report a few tackle related questions came up ...Thoughts on these points would be appreciated
1: Do u think if u had 250 mts of braid spooled on ur reel instead of 150mts .....
would it have been enuff 2 fight and land this monster ???? ( the point being .. Is top shotting with 150 mts of braid a better option or is spooling the reel all the way thru with braid a better option..... in case u land a big one )
2: Would a heavy mono of 20-30 lbs with a heavier shock lead be a better option when fishing rocky places ... ????? as compared to loading the reel with braid which dosent mix with rocky ground so well.

Thoughts

1) I personaly feel 200 mts min is necessary if you have a gutt feeling of monsters around(depends what fish one has on mind). Even after all the best tackle its impossible to guaranty that the angler may land the fish. But most important is the anglers presence of mind and his ability to keep control over ones nerves, and some anglers do land big fishes on light tackel.

2) Mono is always a better option when fishing from rocks.
But personaly i use braid for spinning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

websinner wrote:

i appreciate your points, No.1:the fact is that i dint have a heavier capacity reel to have more than 150 m braided line on the spool, as i said above "was not ready for such a big fish to show up" so there is no sense of top shotting than to just fill up the spool with braid which does give you more meters for sure , n yes i have a good feeling that i would have surely landed that monster if only i had more of line because if u see above , could manage with 150mts of line for almost 50min, fighting with him which surfaced up once it would have surely given up the fight in other 20 minutes , "so more line, more time, more chances." in case of monsters like these.
2: i personally don't like to cast with mono line as the lures would not reach the target , and i was very much dependent on my friend Keith for a place as he being a localite knows the place better where to cast and spin and not much of rocks to interfere our lines , it depends on your luck too as angler_ali said i was lucky that the fish dint go for shelter under the rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

mailme.mario wrote:
websinner wrote:

Thoughts

1) I personaly feel 200 mts min is necessary if you have a gutt feeling of monsters around(depends what fish one has on mind). Even after all the best tackle its impossible to guaranty that the angler may land the fish. But most important is the anglers presence of mind and his ability to keep control over ones nerves, and some anglers do land big fishes on light tackel.

2) Mono is always a better option when fishing from rocks.

But personaly i use braid for spinning.

i totally agree with you..! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 am 
Fishaholic

the first snap is amazing rod bending, reel screaming action i know very well how to feels to fight a grouper , i have caught few of them using lures, looking at the place your fishing, i also fish around similar submerged rocks area, please keep your drag while fishing atleast keep it at around 4kg drag to start of with, than you can tighten it further more if its grouper or mj, if its a barra than keep the drag as it is .
i fish with losse drag only on sandy shores where there are no rocks.
the rod you were using is good for barra and mjs but for grouper infested area good to go with a bit thicker rod it will help you fight the fish better.