->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm 

Hi everybody,

I'm planning for a trip to vishakapatnam(Andhra pradesh) this summer , can anyone provide the information about the species of fish that are usually found in vishakapatnam beach and can anyone suggest a proper equipment.(i have a 6 piece shakesphere salt extreme beach travel rod and a 2 piece 7 foot ugly stik medium will they do ?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vikram.
You're not a million miles away from me. I live in Kidderminster. Do you fish in the UK ?

The Salt rod is a bait fishing rod designed to cast 4 to 8oz. This will need to be paired with a hefty reel and heavy nylon mono filament line of perhaps 40 lb - I wouldn't bother with a shock leader. You will need to take your own leads to India as they are simply not available. As to rigs, it really depends on what you're after. Certainly take things like bait thread (I like Ghost Cocoon) and anything else that might be hard to find locally from the UK.

I'm not familiar with your Ugly Stick but would suggest that you give it a try with a mid sized spinning reel and braid line for lure fishing. This sort of outfit will also be handy for any light bait fishing.

I've never fished the East Coast but would expect the usual Indo Pacific species to be present including barramundi, MJ's, trevally etc as well as various species of sharks and rays - and erm catfish......

My suggestion would be to find out as much as you can about the coast near where you will be staying and post up specific questions related to that. Hot spots to look out for would include river mouths and rocky headlands on otherwise sandy shores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:04 pm 

Hi ken thanks for the info i'll definately search for more information.I'm not sure about the rules and regulations regarding fishing in u.k ,until now i stayed away from it but i'll sure give it a try.And thanks for "ghost cocoon" i never heard of it before but it sure looks interesting mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:52 am 
Fishaholic

Ghost cocoon is great stuff for keeping soft baits in place when you're casting and it's cheap as chips. I got mine as a freebee about three years ago and I'm still using the same spool.

Freshwater fishing in the UK is subject to a closed season that restricts most (but not all) angling until June 16th. You need an Environment agency licence to fish anywhere in fresh water and you will also need permission to fish which usually means a day ticket or anual club card. Oh and it's pretty much all catch and release.
Unfortunatly, none of my South Asian mates in the UK are into fishing or I'm sure we could have "borrowed" a licence for you for a day but if you fancy an introduction (or even a day out watching) once the season opens, drop me a line.

Ken

BTW. Does your ugly Stik give any indication of the weight range of lures that it is designed to cast ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 pm 

ghost cocoon is really cheap indeed i've planned to order one in ebay,i'll definately contact you first if i want to fish in u.k . And ken my ugly stick lure weight is 1/8 to 5/8 oz some where between 3 to 17 gms will that be enough for light sea fishing ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:37 am 
Fishaholic

It's a bit light.
To stand much of a chance, you really need a rod that will cast 1 - 2 oz (30 - 60g) as a minimum when lure fishing in saltwater in India and a rod that will cast 90g is probably a better bet to start out with.

Post subject: fishing in vizag
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 pm 

:D hi all names sergio miranda and currently working on a drilling ship off the coast of vizag from land to rig it takes 45min

to tell u the truth the water is sooooooooooooooooooooo clear u can actually see huge dorados and tuna a few turtles and some time if yur lucky u can also see black marlins and flying fish

but the capt does not allow fishing from the boat

when we r in the chopper the beach looks so b e a u t y f u l and clean
i wanna try to go fishing out here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Sergio, please read the forum rules and ensure you follow them. Do not use SMS language and try to get your spellings right.

IA