->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:08 pm 

Going to Candolim next week and want to do some shore fishing. Will be taking a Simano Beastmaster and would like some advice on what reel and end tackle to take with me.. ie: lures, traces, line and hooks. Also, can anyone recommend any good places to fish. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:19 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Granpafisher, keep an eye on this post, as Bops may move it to the sea fishing section!

Candolim has been very heavily fished by trawlers for the last ten years. Best option is to get in a boat from the quay opposite Coco Beach.
Head south from Candolim, towards the Taj Resorts near to Fort Aguada. At the 'T' junction, take a left and follow the road down to the quay. Ask around to see who will take you out to fish the rocks underneath the prison.
Ladyfish and rock perch on prawns are the best bet. Chance of a grouper or salmon on trolled lures after dusk, but they are very few and far between nowadays.
I've caught fish ledgering a prawn off the rocks under the fort, fish like you would for any rough ground mark in the UK.

If you want to catch barramundi, snapper, grouper and the chance of barracuda, head to one of the river estuaries in the north. Somewhere around Siolim or even right up to Tiracol. Again, the best option is to hire a local boat and get out into the river.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:27 am 

Thanks Steve,

Can you tell me what sort of end tackle/type of rig you used when you were out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Although I live in Torbay, I'm not a sea angler at all, so I keep it ver simple. A running leger rig, 15lb mainline, same strength trace to a size 2 hook for prawns.

I may have a bit more of an idea after Thursday, as I have to shoot a sea fishing article; my first ever. Fishing for wrasse from Brixham Breakwater for Southern Angler.
The point of the article is that I'm a sea fishing novice. But hopefully I'll learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:12 am 
Fishaholic

Try a range of plugs and soft plastic but definatly take some of these http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models. ... elID=15056 in 4" and 5".
If you're taking plugs etc, change the splitrings and hooks for 4x strong saltwater jobbies. These fish have destroyed size 2/0 3x trebles on my lures so many times you wouldn't believe it.

I personally like at use a 20lb Berkley Fireline mainline with a 60lb mono leader of about 18" tied on with a double uni knot. Locals use wire but we get better results with a mono leader although you will need to check it for fraying every now and then.
The uni knot beats a swivel conection every time because you're fishing at night and will eventually knock the liner out of you tip ring with a swivel. Practice the knot until you get a good strong connection - we use 4 or 5 turns on the mono and 7 or 8 on the fireline.

For clipping on lures, there are lots of options but my number one choice would be a Breakaway Fastlink. These things are incredabley tough and have never let me down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:42 am 

Thanks very much for the info Steve and Ken. Will give this a go and let you know how I get on when I get back.

Steve ~ I have a bit of luck off Poole Quay with Wrasse and Bass using the running ledger. Hope you have a good time and let us know if you learn anything new.