->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:32 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

I have been thinking about buying an abu ambassadeur cs pro rocket but had thoughts about other options (like daiwa saltist). I am hoping to get one reel for throwing bait from surf (and if I can throw lures with the same reel, I know its too much an ask, all the better). What would be your suggestion ? I am planing to spend not more than 175USD on this.

TIA,
Sabarish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Abu 6500 is a nice reel. You can also have a look at Avet Sx MC. I think it has better drag than Abu, But abu is more customizable, you can upgrade the drags and do all sorts of things (mods) to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:49 am 
Fishaholic

The Saltist overhead reel (baitcaster) has a very good reputation for being a
solid,quality reel amongst Aussie fishos.

Apparently, stocks run out as soon as they reach the shops here.

I do not own one of these so I cannot vouch for them, however I suggest
you look up reel comparisons on the internet to get a better idea before
purchase.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

I just stumbled on this thread which I have started a while ago. I was too impatient to get one good casting reel and was about to order a saltist when I heard a local in mumbai had sealine X 50SHA in stock. I would have really preferred a 30 or even 20 but I was too eager to get hold of one reel as I was in the vicinity of beach couple of weeks before. Ordered along with a daiwa accudepth pe type 8 line to go with. I initially spooled 20lb mono to test as I was not at all familiar with distance casting and a reel without levelwind. Though I was not able to try it on the beach (as the delivery was delayed by a stupid courier service called 'trackon'), with the 9ft rod I have and around 80grams of lead for weight and every time I cast had very bad thumb burn and/or birds nest. The burning was too bad that I was scared to thump the spool while casting.

I have been curious, what are you, baitcaster's regular surf rig setup ? I like bait fishing and not much of a plug thrower (mainly because I have never tasted success with a plug yet to get addicted).

PS: I have heard from a friend that braid will reduce the thumb burn unlike mono. Fact ?

Post subject: Surf Casting Reel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:27 pm 

Hi kryptoz.

One cuesstion of which line you whon the reel for surf casting, which diameter of line you ussing in mm not in lb. you whon fast ratio or slow ratio that is acording to the type of fishes or how you go tu ussing this reel. Surf Casting, on beach, rock fishing, sea spigning, boat fishing, light trolling, etc. for aster not have any problems.

For my the best is Daiwa but Shimano have also nice reels.

Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Alberto,

Thank you for your suggestions. I thought the PE line 85lb, though its an overkill, thought it would be close to a 20lb mono's diameter and since its thicker a bit, it would help the line not digging in while winding it back. I have a non levelwind reel which I am new to. I am going to use this mostly on surf/beach. From rocks also maybe, I am not sure, maybe would switch to mono for that. I am not planning to throw plugs as I am mostly a lazy bait fishing fan!

I am planning to buy a 11 ft to 13ft casting surf rod to pair with the sealine 50. I was thinking of the cheaper sealine surf/penn torque surf. Any help/advice is highly appreciated !

Warm regards,
Sabarish

Post subject: Fat line
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:12 pm 

Hi kryptoz.

For ussing lines more heavy that 15 or 18 lb 30 or 35 mm I recomended to you reel whit slow ratio not more that 5.1/1 becouse the rotor can have problems in the future when you stack in the rocks or stop te biges fishes can braeck eassy the smmal rotor in the sistem and for bigest efforts.

have many models in the marked whit more capàcity and slow ratio similars to boat reels but for surf casting the difference are the tipe of spool need to be casting instead of boat but the body of reel same as boat example Seagate E of daiwa or Exceler E this reels in spain market tthe cost are arround 185 to 280 € depending sice I recomended minimun 5000 or 5500 sice 6000 is for 230mts of 50mm or 30 to 40 lb depending manufacture. The first one have one nice drag incredible can stop all fishes and weights.

Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:06 am 
Fishaholic

That is why I suggest that people buy a threadline reel rather than an
overhead.

The latter is just too complicated to manipulate, even for those who are
familiar with such reels.

I am just wondering, does the reel not have a backlash reducing setup?
This usually is a magnet system which enables the spool speed to be adjusted... tighten to stop overruns and lose distance or loosen and
risk birds' nests.

Not for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:37 am 
Fishaholic

@ Alberto, Thanks much for the suggestions !!

@Kingfish, for some reason I find it easier to hold and cast a baitcasting/conventional reel (apart from the birds nest which is a big pain). My first reel was a abu blackmax and I had birds nest every second cast when I started with it, but now I get birds nest very rarely on that, mostly because I am now used to that reel, I guess. Hopefully that would be the case with the sealine too! I have a penn 750ssm which is on a 10' abu rod and I only casted 5 times with that reel/rod so far and 4 times the line snapped, maybe because my throw/action was wrong/whipped it. The reel does not have a mag break, but has centrifugal breaks which I will install and try next time!

Anyway now I have the reel, I need IA member's help on a good rod suggestion for my sealine 50SHA. I have been thinking about buying penn torque surf rod 12', but had two other options also in mind, daiwa sealine surf and tica (tica is 10' only and I really am keen to get a 12 or 13 ft). Can you guys suggest me a good surf rod that would go with my reel ? I can only spend as much as 130usd apart from shipping for this.

I see in some youtube videos, some guys have the rods where the reel seat is way low almost at the bottom of the rod butt. What are those rods ? I am guess its some movable reel seat or like that ?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:41 am 
Fishaholic

penn torque surf rod 12' zindabad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:58 am 
Fishaholic

hamour, thanks for the reply. Do you own a penn torque ? Any issues faced ? What is the reel that you paired with it ?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

I have come down to two choices now,

Lamiglas SK11MHC Surf King Surf Casting Rod
    Penn TS2040C12 Torque Surf Casting Rod

Though I am tempted to go for a 13 ft, I came to Lamiglas for its reputation. Penn is irresistable as it is one ft longer than the lami. Cannot decide between the two :cry: SOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 am 
Fishaholic

kryptoz wrote:
Cannot decide between the two :cry: SOS

Just toss. 8)

I would go with Penn, just the name is so much cooler :lol: