->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:40 pm 
Enlightened

Last week was at my hometown. Went to the beach. I was very eager to try the new equipment, Sheakespeare Salt Travel Beach Rod, 11.6FT and the Shakespeare Salt Surf Reel (080). This was my first time. The line was 11.5kg mono. I tied the lure (Fladen Stavenger, sinking) and cast and started reeling, within 5 seconds the reel started making noise, the rod bent, I pulled hard, reeled in a few times and then noticed the line had twisted under the bail, the line was real tight, I pulled the rod up and was finding it extremely difficult to hold on, tried to get the line untangled from the base of the reel but could not do so. Ultimately, gave one hard pull with the rod and the line snapped. All this was within 1 minute. What could it have been, a fish or the sand engulfing the lure in the waves and burying it?
After that with the second lure (Abu Tormentor, floating) went to a nearby stream which emptied into the sea. This is a very wide stream, more than 60ft across. I cast the lure and saw it floating towards the sea. Then after a point I started reeling in and once again, reel started making big noise and the rod was bent again. This time was able to reel in somewhat but after a certain distance it was not possible. I traced the line to a huge rock, the water was not deep but very murky after the rains, put a hand into the water following the line but was cautioned by my relative not to do so. So pulled the line with all my might and broke free. Lure number 2 gone too.
I then tried the swimshads (rubber type) with no luck.
Was it a fish in both the cases?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Sounds very unlikely. It may not be a fish.
When the fish strikes it certainly will run with the lure. But your narration does not say anything about your line paying out. Probably your lure was stuck onto some rock or branches.
Try and tag along with an experienced angler who would be able to guide you.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rajesh,

As a suggestion. Before you start casting your lure what you could do is tie just a sinker to the line and cast as far as you can and reel in dragging the sinker. This will allow you to study the shore and the waters. the sinker most definitely will drag sediments and moss if around telling you what probably you could get. And most importantly you can also figure out likely structures that would eat up your lures. If possible use a bank sinker. Its anytime better then losing a lure :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:55 pm 
Fishaholic

The best sinker is an old sparkplug. You can get them cheap from any garage. tie them on with strong cotton thread. This way you do not lose line when you break of the sinker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:56 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks for your replies, guys. But how did the reel make noise. My understanding is if something is pulling on it only then will it make noise. Am I right?
I don't know what a bank sinker is but will look in the web. Thanks for the idea. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Your reel made a noise because you were cranking (reeling in). Try the same at home. Tie your line to an immovable object, in my case it is my wife, and try reeling in. You'll see and hear what happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
Tie your line to an immovable object, in my case it is my wife, and try reeling in. You'll see and hear what happened.

Ken, you are a brave man.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Mahaseerken wrote:
Tie your line to an immovable object, in my case it is my wife, and try reeling in. You'll see and hear what happened.

Ken, you are a brave man.. :lol: :lol:

while doing this do you set your drag tight or loose??????? :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:

Do you tie it on the neck. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

******Disclaimer >> try it on your risk *******

Ken you missed the disclaimer.

Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
You'll see and hear what happened.

You mean you waited that long to find out ... Brave man LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:54 pm 
Enlightened

Mahaseerken wrote:
Your reel made a noise because you were cranking (reeling in). Try the same at home. Tie your line to an immovable object, in my case it is my wife, and try reeling in. You'll see and hear what happened.

I understand what you are saying. That may be it then.
You have some guts, no doubt! :0 ;0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken...I just took a screen print :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:59 pm 
Enlightened

Thats a nice video, Santosh. :) Wonderful collection of fishes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Rajesh.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rajesh,

it would be best to talk with others fishing in that area to learn a little about the topography there. Probably the area is rocky & not suitable for lure fishing. It could also be a MJ or a rockcod that took your lure into the rocks. Also note that you should probably change your lure to a shallow diving lure, 2 to 6 feet (Max) and give it another go.

Please note that the speed of retreive & the position of the rod (held in your hand) will change the way the lure moves.

I dont really know what experience Ken has about trying out stuff with his wife & it will be nice if you could install a video camera in your house & film what happens & when !!!

This video would be of use during the court settlement. :twisted: Or maybe it will just be a good lesson for all of us :lol:

Mahaseerken wrote:

Ken, I dont think he will hear the same sounds or see the same things as those while he was fishing. There is a 99% chance that he will hear a CRACK ! a WHACK ! and see stars !

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hello Rajesh,

Just a small tip so that you don't lose too many lures...try not to pull
hard immediately you feel your lure is stuck.

Instead, walk away from where you are standing, go past the lure position
and then try gentle tugs from the different angle now between you and the lure.

This invariably allows the lure to back out of the snag.

There are gadgets available that allow lures to be pulled out of snags but
that is a different topic altogether.

Good luck for the future!

Kingfish

Post subject: what noise???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:

I believe if you set the drag tight in this case you will have multiple noises and then you have to have a keen ear to differentiate the reel noise from others including your own. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

People!

You would be gad to hear that I have survived the last few days. I might never fish again. But I am lucky to still have all my fingers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:13 pm 
Enlightened

Mahaseerken wrote:
People!

You would be gad to hear that I have survived the last few days. I might never fish again. But I am lucky to still have all my fingers.

Now, what did you indulge in? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:14 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks for your inputs, Kingfish! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:17 pm 
Enlightened

Yes, I am going to set the hook against some immovable thing and see if I can reproduce what I encountered back at the beach. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Ken,
Hope every thing is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
People!

Now where did you stick your fingers, that you seem to have found something more interesting than fishing ? :lol:
Never mind, we dont want to hear about it & forget about the video I requested in the earlier post. :twisted:

Some day you will come back to the waters to fish & we will all announce 'The Prodigal Son Returns'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:42 pm 
Enlightened

Once again went to the shore. I cast 3 or 4 times and twice the lure was stuck in the rocks (?). I pulled hard but it wouldn't budge. Finally it let go. I am using the rubber swimshads. Cast once more and same thing. Pulled hard, it seemed to have released but still felt it getting stuck in-between, again pulled hard and I saw something land near the rocks. That is when I noticed it was a fish of probably 2kgs. Got it shore, another person helped in unhooking. I cast probably 10 to 15 times and the lure was stuck 6-7 times atleast.
As mentioned above no reels spinning sound, nothing but just stiff resistance and so during my earlier trip to beach I probably hooked a big one(?).
How is one to know that the fish is on the other end of the line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajeshnamb wrote:
How is one to know that the fish is on the other end of the line?

Normally when someone asks me that question, I say, you will know. I cannot tell you that same thing, as you had a fish and did not know. This one makes the mind boggle :lol:

What fish did you catch? Can you post us a picture?

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Rajesh,

Going through your first post, I am sure you had hooked fishes on both occasion and in probability it was an grouper or Jack.

You can easily know that you have hooked a fish by pressure on you rod. The reel will never open unless or until there is a fish on the end of your line.

Congratulations that you have landed a 2 kg fish. Post the photo and lets see what fish it is. Looks to me like a grouper.

Keep on trying and you will improve your skills within no time. :P

Congratulations once again,

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Rajesh,

Probably the drag was too tight and the line would not have paid out. If there is a strike and the line pays out, be sure it is a fish.
Next time you go fishing reduce your drag and you will see that even with a 500 gr fish your reel will spin.
Lets have a picture of the fish you caught.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:12 am 
Enlightened

Thank you all. :) I am at Kannur and will post the picture once I am back in Bangalore. I will be going again today, to a new spot that was was mentioned earlier in one of the threads (fishing spots in Kannur) (?), near the Valapattanam bridge, take the road that leads to the jetty.
Evening I will be heading to the same spot by the sea as yesterday.
This fish that I caught was dark red/Maroon, with stripes, spots and a big mouth. It had a small crab in its mouth.

Last edited by Rajeshnamb on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:18 am 
Enlightened

I lost 2 rubber swimshads yesterday in the tug of war. :) If I am correct I spotted 2 dolphins(?) too yesterday. :) Their backs came out of the water (with small upper fine) and went back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:58 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Dear Rajesh,

Going through your first post, I am sure you had hooked fishes on both occasion and in probability it was an grouper or Jack.

You can easily know that you have hooked a fish by pressure on you rod. The reel will never open unless or until there is a fish on the end of your line.

Congratulations that you have landed a 2 kg fish. Post the photo and lets see what fish it is. Looks to me like a grouper.

Keep on trying and you will improve your skills within no time. :P

Congratulations once again,

Regards,

Ali.

I agree with Ali, it would most likely be a Rock Cod or a Mangrove Jack, both fish are caught inshore and have the habbit of diving for cover. That is why I asked for a picture, I am inclined to guess Rock Cod, but once down a hole they are very diffucult to get out and at 2 kgs + almost impossible (unless it was not down a hole). I would say you hooked Mangorve Jack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajesh,

it sounds like you are using a trawling set up used to catch whales.

nevermind my comment, try toning down your gear. Use a lighter set up (lower rated) rod, reel & line & you will surely enjoy your fishing a bit more.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajesh,

Here are the pics of what you could have probably hooked.

Mangrove Jack: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/images/Fisher ... ulatus.jpg
Red Sea Grouper: http://www.aboveandbelow.net/FotoBelow/ ... ernia2.jpg

But I guess if you can provide the pic it would be far more easy.
Grouper will take a deep dive and run for cover and carries a lot might when it comes to pulling power. There are fair chances that you could have landed a grouper.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 pm 
Enlightened

Ravin, I did loosen the drag, no difference. Lost one more swimshad in the Valapattanam area. In the evening headed to the shore, was late, no luck this time. The lure did get stuck once or twice though.
Teritex the second picture comes very close to the fish I caught. I still didn't get the chance to transfer it from my mobile. :)
Keyur, The equipment is a Shakespeare Salt Travel rod (11.5ft) and the Shakespeare Salt Surf Reel (080). The line is mono 25lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:41 pm 
Enlightened

Small one caught in the afternoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Rock cod all right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

That is why you were using so many lures. :D

You can not allow this fish to go in a hole Rajesh.. :twisted:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
Enlightened

The problem is I just can't make out if it has taken the bite. All that I encounter is stiff resistance while reeling in and then its a tug of war. I remember setting the drag a little loose, may be I have to loosen it somemore. But when I loosen it very much I can't reel in as the reel just makes noise.
What is one to do if this 'runs' into a rock? Wait for it come out?

Thank you all for your encouragement. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Its a Malabar Grouper

Use a paternoster rig with one hook setup and a fairly short trace of line to the hook. Set you drag fairly tight and the line should not be slack even a little so that you can feel the slightest of bite. This holds good if you are specifically targeting Groupers. The bait that they willing take is prawns and prawn heads. Use large hooks for this fish and large chunks of bait or full prawns. You need to be casting where the rocks are as that is where they take cover unless you have found a reef close to the shore :)

With lures, they will ambush it so there is no doubt you will not get the feel of it.

Hope this helps.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:49 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks Teritex. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

raj wrote:
Mahaseerken wrote:

Do you tie it on the neck. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

******Disclaimer >> try it on your risk *******

Ken you missed the disclaimer.

Raj

No I am sure it was tied to his neck...... later!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:30 pm 
Enlightened

I have a doubt with regard to the usage of the Surf Travel rod. The sections cannot be completely inserted into one another, thereby leaving some part exposed between sections. Is that normal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Make and model please? Pics would be even better.

Cheers-DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Rajeshnamb wrote:
I have a doubt with regard to the usage of the Surf Travel rod. The sections cannot be completely inserted into one another, thereby leaving some part exposed between sections. Is that normal?

This is something that I am not too sure of myself and I didnt ask for fear of being embarrassed and ridiculed, however I did ask the shop keeper and he said, they have to go in all the way! otherwise you will come back to me saying I gave you a bad rod and it broke! he said since its new they won't go in as easy, try applying vaseline a few times, I did just that! then the problem was removing them from the slots alone! it was very difficult and I was scared i'll damage the rod, however after a few times it works perfectly fine, they go in and come out without as much effort as earlier and them being in place makes the rod more sturdy which keeps me confident it wont break or dismantle by itself when there's a fish on the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 pm 
Enlightened

Dezz, the link to the actual rod is as follows:

http://www.spottydogtackle.com/contents ... p1539.html

Thanks Omesh, for the information. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am 
Fishaholic

Looking at the spigot joints it appears that the need to all the way in till the insert stops. Use a smaller diameter section to move around in where the sections are not being inserted completely just to be sure there is no external object of some glue lump dried up inside the joint. Try not to twist the sections whilst inserting or removing, I have had seen someone damage his brand new rod on the first day.

Personally havent used this one. Its a 11' with six sections. How do you find it? Do you feel reluctant whilst casting thinking your sections might fly off?? Need just the review of it :)

Cheers- DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

The sections on these type of rods are supposed to be that way ie they do not go all the way in ... I have the shimano Exage series travel rods and the FOX series and also the Reflex series and all the rods sit in the way that you have mentioned ...DO not .... i mention Again DO NOT try to force the things with vaseline or any other lubricant to get it all in s ............you will screw up the rods ... Also always remember that any liquid when used to so called " free" rods infact makes them jam together even more tighter as the liquid acts as a vaccum ...that is teh reason why when dismantling your rods you face the problem that you have ..

Keep you rod as it is ... it will work fine .. and will not break

Im sure you will find something useful to do with teh vaseline if you have already bought it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
I have the shimano Exage series travel rods

And one of them is swimming somewhere in Konkan.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:07 pm 
Enlightened

Dezz, I insert till the extent it accommodates. If I insert too much I will have problem taking it out. It may be because of vaccuum. They could have considered drilling a minute hole in each of the sections for airflow.

I have never felt that they could just come off during casting but always felt that the leverage and strength may be compromised because they are not all the way in.

I have ended up breaking one rod and am now using my brother's. Its because of the struggle to get the lures free. The rod broke when I was in Kannur, at the fort. I have asked for spare sections and they tell me it will cost 15GBP each and 5GBP towards courier (within UK). In all, I have 2 sections that are broken, section 4 and 5.

Fred, thanks for all the information. I am not a big fan of vaseline but KY Jelly should be a better option for lubricating the 'rod'. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Well I now know its different for travel rods. Thanks for bringing it up Rajesh and thank you even more Fredfish to make this clear.

Regards,
Omesh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 pm 
Enlightened

Omesh.Moorjani wrote:
Well I now know its different for travel rods. Thanks for bringing it up Rajesh and thank you even more Fredfish to make this clear.

Most welcome, Omesh :)