->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Casting distance
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Friends want you all to share your suggestion based on your experience of angling from the shore.

I have been shore fishing and rock fishing for a month now and have only landed dozens of Cats and eels. My casting distance is not more than 25-30ft.

Can this be an issue is casting distance important to hook some other species which may bee scanning in the depth. What I have experienced is that in the range of 10-15ft there are small cats around 3-4in and in the range of 25-30ft there are some decent size cats around 2ft in length.

How far should one cast from the shore while bait casting to hook on some other species?

I have been using striped macrel and prawns as bait.

I need guidance on shore fishing.

Regards,
Raj

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:35 pm 
Fishaholic

hi Raj

Go with a smaller dia line and heavier weight as per the rod capacity hope fully should help you a little bit and its realy important to have long cast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:11 pm 
Fishaholic

To my limited knowledge, it is not just the distance, but the accuracy of cast that is important. While beach fishing, both distance (to cast beyond the surf) and accuracy (to reach the bait at the desired spot) is of advantage. But while Rock fishing, often the good spots are not very far. People have caught big fishes while float fishing from the rocks at a distance barely 10' from the water's edge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:46 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the suggestion Mario and Sanju. Will try casting the distance as well the accuracy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:08 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Raj,

it is important to know/read the waters. The depth of the water, the possibility of underwater structures, the flow pattern, the underwater vegetation etc are all linked to one and another to increase / decrease the probability of the catch.

Casting distance depends on the species that you are targeting.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 pm 
Fishaholic

A couple kms from the shore... thats where the marlins are :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
A couple kms from the shore... thats where the marlins are :)

Ha ha........ On a serious note,I haven't seen any discussion on Kite Fishing on this forum. Anyone tried it??????
And also that kind in which you launch the bait via a rocket launcher kind of thing..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

sanju_freeworld wrote:
And also that kind in which you launch the bait via a rocket launcher kind of thing..............

Bait via rocket launcher #$%$%$$@#$@#
And what does the fish get??? the bait or the rocket :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Ha ha. I saw this video once. They were using launchers (specifically designed for the purpose) to cast bait beyond human ability. Extreme stuff. They were doing it from the beach. P.S. it was a Rocket Launcher kind of a thing and not the actual rocket launcher and it cast only bait, no rocket. :-)

Post subject: rocket launchers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Guys

This rocket launcher fishing is for real, not real rocket launchers, they are called kontikis, its a battery operated line launcher which can take your line and bait about 1 km out into the sea from the shore,it then turns off and u can then pull the launcher alone back to shore via a seperate line on the launcher, kite fishing and kontiki fishing is feasible where you dont have any one going across to cut off your line in a boat or craft and for kite fishing you 'll need a back wind going out from the shore, not very often in most places, always wanted to try the kite myself, have all the necessary equipment but have not found a shore without the crossing boats till now, rad mor on pauls kite fishing on

http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/

Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:04 pm 
Fishaholic

sanju_freeworld wrote:
To my limited knowledge, it is not just the distance, but the accuracy of cast that is important. While beach fishing, both distance (to cast beyond the surf) and accuracy (to reach the bait at the desired spot) is of advantage. But while Rock fishing, often the good spots are not very far. People have caught big fishes while float fishing from the rocks at a distance barely 10' from the water's edge.

I was taught fishing by a guy named Brian .. For my first lesson in casting I was taken with a Mitchell 306 reel spooled with some old mono and a full fibre blank rod to a large ground near my house . I was then given the basic tenets of casting . eg for accuracy always cast overhead . The lure may fall short or long but it will be in th edirection of the fish or feeding as we call it .

A large circle was drawn in the distance and I was supposed to land the wooden plug in the circle on the first bounce ... I practiced and practiced till i got it right 9 times out of 10 . Today I can make 200 casts and can drop the lure exactly where I want most of the time .

Also while spinning from the rocks timing is of essence . It does not make sense to cast after the fish has fed . I would always stand with the bail arm open and wait for the 1st bait fish to jump . My lure would be the first out and within a second of teh feed commencing . This naturally got me a lot more fish . My buddies Mickey , Feedi , Jerome , Windsor put it down to luck . I put it down to practice and being ready at all times .

I still prefer mono to braid whilst spinning . It has a feel that braid can never replace . I use .35 mono with 20lb strength .

Hope this helps : :wink: :wink:

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for this one Fred a real LIFE SAVER! Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
I was taught fishing by a guy named Brian ..

And I was taught casting by Fred :wink: .. Not a proper or formal training, but the first time I went spinning with him, I was embarrassed with my tackle (i was a newcomer then) However, when we changed our location that same day, all I did was to observe the master at his best. Arguably the best I have seen anyone spinning and it has to be Fred.

Now distance V accuracy, I don’t believe that overhead cast gives better accuracy while side arm will give distance. I cast side arms and my accuracy of course is not pinpoint but it's not that bad.

A word of caution, side arm casting will cause damage to your shoulder if you give it all you got over a period of time. Now a days I use more of my wrist to get that distance. For bait fishing, I prefer 20 LB braid with 3 oZ weight and I can cast over 150 yards with easy.

Here is a pic of me casting a 1/2 Oz spoon with 15 to 30 LB M/H rod. Recipe for cold shoulder.

Check the rod bend and the wrist..

regards, Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Santo ,

Your passion for fishing far outstrips anyone ive seen / known on the forum ... you embaress me with your adulation and comments ... so much that my ass turns red LOL... keep the fire burning .. its not the fish , its not the technique , its not the tackle but the passion for the outdoors and perfection that makes the difference between a fisherman and an angler .. tight lines buddy ... 50 lber at Powai next :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:29 am 
Fishaholic

Mush Mush :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:19 pm 
Fishaholic

True love! You lucky guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Tried my hands on the new tackle today (Berkley Tele rod, Daiwa Reel and 50lb Berkley braid). Casting distance has been taken care of by all the suggestions and accuracy needs to be worked on.

Tried spinning for 2hrs without any luck.

Then switched to bait fishing using white prawns. First cast and the wait begun. After 10 odd min got a bite on the line (more of a nibble), then the perfect bite, I gave a pull to hook the baby on the other end and could feel the drag. For first time in my life heard the sweet sound of reel, it was not screaming exactly but was good enough to motivate me.

I was all set to fight and land the beauty hooked on the other end. Then suddenly all the action disappeared. I thought the fish is heading towards me and started reeling in but there was nothing on the other end. The hook and the line was intact without the prawns.

What can this be now? Was there something wrong that I have done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Santo ,

Your passion for fishing far outstrips anyone ive seen / known on the forum ... you embaress me with your adulation and comments ... so much that my ass turns red LOL... keep the fire burning .. its not the fish , its not the technique , its not the tackle but the passion for the outdoors and perfection that makes the difference between a fisherman and an angler .. tight lines buddy ... 50 lber at Powai next :)

:evil: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Ha ha. I can feel your excitement when you felt the fish on the other end. What you felt was a fish for sure but can't tell which as you did not see it. You can guess with the feel when you are experienced but then not always for sure. Read "the one that got away" by Bobby.......

Nevermind, not all fishes that get hooked get landed (but they make interesting tales you would like to repeat). Fighting a bigger fish than expected (which you cannot yank out of water) requires skill and takes practice. With all that you only increase the chances of landing the fish but not guarantee.

Do not loose heart and think about what must have gone wrong, Did the line slack at any moment? Did you maintain enough tension on the line with the rod as per the fish's swimming direction etc.

Try not to repeat what you think must have gone wrong. Tight lines and big fishes.

And ya, sometimes, some conditions, bait fishing is more fruitful than spinning and vice versa. Gurus will tell you about it but you have to learn to feel it.

Even then, unexpected can happen. I like to repaeat Alibhai's quote that I heard in the first IA competition, "Agar Machli lagni ho to main chappal bhi phekunga to machli lag jayegi".

Sorry Alibhai to use the quote without permission. Ha ha. All the best.

Post subject: Re: Casting distance
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:33 pm 

Hi Raj,

Tell me the casting weight of your fishing rod?... If the casting weight is approx 200 to 300 grams...then use sinkers 4oz to 7oz.

Also tell me the line which u r using?... I suggest a Braided line since this cast further than a Mono line...(with my experience)....The Braided line thickness should be between 22 - 30 mm...

If any further assistance required, please feel to write to me..

Cheers

Happy Fishing

JK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 pm 
Enlightened

santosh wrote:
Fredfish wrote:
I was taught fishing by a guy named Brian ..

And I was taught casting by Fred :wink: .. Not a proper or formal training, but the first time I went spinning with him, I was embarrassed with my tackle (i was a newcomer then) However, when we changed our location that same day, all I did was to observe the master at his best. Arguably the best I have seen anyone spinning and it has to be Fred.

Now distance V accuracy, I don’t believe that overhead cast gives better accuracy while side arm will give distance. I cast side arms and my accuracy of course is not pinpoint but it's not that bad.

A word of caution, side arm casting will cause damage to your shoulder if you give it all you got over a period of time. Now a days I use more of my wrist to get that distance. For bait fishing, I prefer 20 LB braid with 3 oZ weight and I can cast over 150 yards with easy.

Here is a pic of me casting a 1/2 Oz spoon with 15 to 30 LB M/H rod. Recipe for cold shoulder.

Check the rod bend and the wrist..

regards, Santosh

which fish were you targeting using the spoon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 am 
Fishaholic

surf.angler wrote:
which fish were you targeting using the spoon?

The only fish I hooked on that day and for whole of my life was "ME".. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 am 
Fishaholic

Ali, this is interesting..we had a talk about same thing today.. time to go back .... :))