->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:12 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My first MJ
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello fellow anglers,

I used to fish using a hand line during my school and college days in Goa and the only fish I caught were catfish and a few small rock cods. In 2005 I decided to upgrade to a fishing rod and reel, but never caught any fish with it. Then work kept me busy and I almost forgot about my passion for fishing. Then I came across IA.com in Oct 09 and my passion for fishing was re-ignited. I saw photos of fellow members and their catches and I was hooked to this site. My wife got fedup with me cos the first thing I would do when I woke up was check IA.com. But I used to always say to her that I would put my photo on IA.com soon. :D

I purchased some lures from Mumbai after seeing their success on IA.com. After heading out for fishing almost everyday for the last 7 months, I always came home empty handed. Tried all the locations in North Goa like Baga, Chapora, Fort Aguada, etc..but nothing. And worse, Oct to April was the tourist season in Goa, so my chances were limited with all the noise of boats near the shore. On some ocassion I felt like throwing my rod and other stuff in the sea. But my wife was the one who kept supporting me. And not to mention the photos/reports on IA.com.

Last week, I along with another friend went to fish at Zuari river. I was as usual casting and retrieving with a faint hope that something would bite. After an hour of casting suddenly my rod tip bent and then the sound I had been waiting for.."Krrrrrrrrrrrrrr". I didn't know how to react at first and thought what if the line broke. But I kept my cool and remembered how the IA anglers fight the fish. After 10 minutes or so reeled in my first MJ to the shore and my friend pulled him out of the water. And I said to myself, now its my time to post a photo on IA.com. Showed the catch to my folks at home and they were suprised beyond imagination. My father-in-law even joked if I purchased that fish from the market on my way home.

All said and done, I owe my first catch to my wife and to IA.com.

Here is the photo link. Lure used was Rapala Magnum Red Head 11cms. Rod&reel: Abu Garcia Cardinal combo and line was 15 pound test
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1842/pic001small.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Mate, keep it up....

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:51 pm 
Fishaholic

There you go. You got 2 things hooked at the same time, your wife as well as the MJ. The fishes are easy to come as compared to wives supporting you. Thats a good MJ i should say, dont worry hereafter you will be posting some more. You have a PM Mr. Braganza.

Tight lines.
DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Fantastic perseverance mate. That's what it all about.
May you get many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:27 pm 
Fishaholic

MJ are fierce fighters , so i have heard [smilie=ebil-thumbup.gif] . good one to open ur account with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:39 pm 
Fishaholic

My sincere congratulations to you for landing your first fish. Given the choice, I will rate this fish one of the best catches of this session because of the effort you put to land it.

I am sure you will be posting many more such photos.
[smilie=coolup.gif]

Best of luck for future fishing.

Regards,

Ali. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats [smilie=coolup.gif]

Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

So tell us this..... How much did you pay for it? .... just kidding! :wink:

Very nice indeed. I have fished that spot and come empty handed too often. I blame the beer form the Bar on Agacaim side. :lol:

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 pm 
Fishaholic

good size dude ,,,keep it up,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ur story similar to mine..i caught my fish after 5 months and it was a small palu bream for sardine bait and i was jumping on chapora jetty like a mad man and i was double lucky that day because i caught one tamoshi small one,i had taken my camera that day as i had the gut feeling i would catch something that
day i hav the snaps but i never post on ia because i feel i am small fry in front of these big fishing gurus and also i am not photogenic and i also had the similar feeling when i remove my first fish on spinning it was 2 kg barracuda..i felt i earned that fish be coz i had spinned for 2 yrs without catching anything such was my detemination after that i hav caught many a fish,,my spinning inspiration is santosh ,,i follow him closely
and pay attention to everything he post,,sharuk khan of our angling world...santo r u reading this mate :lol:
also there is a new addiction on the scene called ia addiction ,,i come on net twice a day just to see what new been posted,,,
braganza we can fish together baga chapora notrh goa my area ,,
nice to hav a fellow goan on ia,,cheers once again feni toast for your tamoshi :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

MERWYN MERWYN :)

Its urrak time duh [smilie=superkewl.gif] but please dont get drunk before going to fish and risk yourself. For that matter, I have read that fish dont like the smell of alcohol and cigarette. Celebrations are on after you call it a day.

By the way no fish is small or big its the fish that you catch that matters. There are times when we see people pulling rays and kings here and we only hope a dory snapper take our bait :p So go ahead and post what you caught. There are no trophies here to be awarded and FYI you think all these anglers are models/ super models here that they are photogenic. We are ok even if you are lame and squint and have rabbit tooth [smilie=dunceblock.gif]

You come twice a day to the cyber cafe. I dont even logoff from this site except during sleeping hours but my office computer is on 24 x 7 :p

Lets hope this december we will have a "ANGLING FEST" (Grrr) in Konkan.

DeZZ

Last edited by teritex on Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Well said DeZZ and I hope you were listening Merwyn,

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Abraganza, congratulations on a nice catch and hope you have many more...welcome to IA.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Lets hope this december we will have a blast in Konkan.
DeZZ

DeZZ, now you have the CIA reading your post. :lol: If there is a fishing meetup in December, do let me know. I will be home for Xmas. Perhaps all the Goans can gang up. I will get the camera and see who is photogenic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

It's a nice fish mate.
Congrats.
All the best for many more.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:33 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the nice catch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Gents,

Thank you all for your inspiration.

Ali, thanks for the kind words and Adolf, that was a good one..:)Merwyn, you are right about Santosh. Let's make that two baadshahs of IA, Santosh and Ali...I believe they have a secret weapon for the fish to come to them..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

abraganza wrote:
Gents,

Ali, thanks for the kind words and Adolf, that was a good one..:)Merwyn, you are right about Santosh. Let's make that two baadshahs of IA, Santosh and Ali...I believe they have a secret weapon for the fish to come to them..

I believe its not just the 2. There are quite a many of them who have been in this sport for ages together. You guys have barely read other posts and so did I, but i have been spending some time reading the older posts and you will see there are many other seasoned anglers. Its not just the recent posts that matter merwyn. read the older posts and see what treasure has been stored in this forum. I am certain you will come back and name the rest of them for sure.

DeZZ

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
abraganza wrote:
Gents,

I believe its not just the 2. There are quite a many of them who have been in this sport for ages together. You guys have barely read other posts and so did I, but i have been spending some time reading the older posts and you will see there are many other seasoned anglers. Its not just the recent posts that matter merwyn. read the older posts and see what treasure has been stored in this forum. I am certain you will come back and name the rest of them for sure.

DeZZ
right dezz u r right i hav read most of the previous saltwater ones but i never gave a damn for fresh water untill i had a chat with masheerken about a trip to bakranagal where he said there r big fish ,,i will appear there too ,,i hav been there as tourist,,but at the moment let me explore my backyard for goan masheer i hear they break 2mm mono handline and also cut or gash hands..let see what happens ,,aslo time for big tamo0shi for bait fishing during moonsoons,,,and i prefer day fishing because u don,t scarifice ur sleep
i want to try some tackle on this fish,,,,,wish me luck bro.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
abraganza wrote:
Gents,

DeZZ

AAwww ... How can you forget Dezz the great .. :wink: . Just Jocking..

On a serious note, We all are students of this great lore called Angling and I am sure with more time spend beside water will give you all the secret weapons to outwit the elusive monstors.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Dezz, I am not a great angler, and let me be very clear that i don’t liked to be called a pro and i am still learning. I have been on this forum loooong before you joined and have been fishing since the age of 5. Fishing then was as pleasurable as it is now with hell lot of tackle.

I wouldn’t have bothered to reply to your post as long as it did not include Ali. let me tell you few things that might change the way you look at all the post on the forum (theory).

1st, nothing is as good as going fishing with an accomplished angler, read as much as you can. Trust me, it means nothing.
2nd, when i joined IA, I had no clue how to cast (wont go in details), Fred was the guy who took me fishing. All I did is watch the master doing what he does best. Honestly, seeing Fred cast is any anglers dream.
3rd, I was helped by Fred to get me started. But Ali is the person who got me going full speed. The man has been a host to 100's of anglers in terms of giving them a chance to fish with him to sharing his tackle.
I am different than both Fred & Ali.. I'll take you fishing or talk to you once or twice. I try to connect with the person, if I feel he is as passionate as me, I share all that i know. if not, i'll be very rude and say just **** off..Ask prasad, till date he has the biggest MJ on IA under his belt, the man is a born angler.

All anglers are equal Dezz. Merwyn has a reason, I talk to him calmly whenever I have time and answer all his questions. he is not the only one. I get a dozen calls per week. (Ali gets lot more than that.)

Happy fishing mate.. don’t compare apples with bananas.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:

AAwww ... How can you forget Dezz the great .. :wink: . Just Jocking..

On a serious note, We all are students of this great lore called Angling and I am sure with more time spend beside water will give you all the secret weapons to outwit the elusive monstors.

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Ali: Please There is no way I can come close to people like you, Santosh, Fred, gosh you people have spent decades. I barely know how to tie hooks. Even if I fish at full throttle I dont think I will be as expert as you guys. I mean it. And Santosh yes sir, you are right the thing is you have learned a lot mate it was fortunate for you unlike me and I am still learning, if guys like you had not answered my queries I wouldn't have replied to any post. Ali even jokingly dont get that word great close to me :) You will scare me off this forum :p By all means I respect you guys for the knowledge you render to rookies like me. You cannot deny that, I can still pull out the PM's and other posts :) Hope to be with you people soon.

NOTE: Please don mind me replying all the post its just that I am very passionate about angling, I have barely seen 3 seasons and you know how it is when you desperately want to be close to waters, and over here?? There is water but then you are more restricted to work.

DeZZ @ 45 degree temp in Dubai and no fishing till Sep. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Hello again anglers,

Went out to Zuari river again yesterday and came back home with my second MJ. Though its a smaller one compared to my first MJ (previous post), I dont really care. After all, a fish is a fish... :lol:

Everyone's replies in my previous post gave me more inspiration to head out to the sea... 8) And hope this keeps me going for a long time to come.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

Look, I told you that you will be landing many more. Its just the beginning. Let the flame of passion burn bright in your soul and go on catching many more fishes.

Congratulations and tight lines for future fishing.

Regards,

Ali.. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Perfect. You are a spoilt kid now Antonio :)

Good fishing. tight lines.

DeZZ

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

great antonio,
solid tamoshi mure,,keep it up ,,u look familiar to me, where r u from? dude,,

Post subject: Re: hi
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

MERWYNTIGER wrote:
great antonio,

He stays in your backyard, search for him when you are sober. You both can make a good team and go fishing together.

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:01 pm 
Fishaholic

a fish is fish is a fish size don't matter bro keep it up tight lines and may the next one break you rod :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:03 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
a fish is fish is a fish size don't matter bro keep it up tight lines and may the next one break you rod :D :D

Dada, are you cursing or wishing him luck :p

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
rajatmukherje wrote:

Dada, are you cursing or wishing him luck :p

DeZZ

what do you think dezz ? I always have bet wishes for every one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats ,
on your first n the second MJ. Dont worry your self with the size. [smilie=upyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:

This gentleman even if he curses will come as a blessing :D

Dada how about directing a documentary on indian angling? I am sure we have talents hidden amongst us. Some of them have a god gifted talent of perfect post write ups and we even have voice over artists as well if not David Attenborough. We also have photogenic dudes around and you even know the recipe.

Cheers Dada :)

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:10 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
rajatmukherje wrote:

This gentleman even if he curses will come as a blessing :D

Dada how about directing a documentary on indian angling? I am sure we have talents hidden amongst us. Some of them have a god gifted talent of perfect post write ups and we even have voice over artists as well if not David Attenborough. We also have photogenic dudes around and you even know the recipe.

Cheers Dada :)

DeZZ

Dezz to be very honest with you I have this on my mind for quite a long time now but to do a proper documentary you need quite a bit of budget and also i don't want to do it for the sake of just doing it . I want some proper script and planing for that believe in me I am trying for some time now to do it on fair enough scale. It is just question of timing actually so you never know :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Fishaholic

amen to rajats post about the fish breaking the rod. after all thats going to be the rush we are after. great going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ali, Dezz, Merwyn, Rajat, Apoo, Mario and Acedoc..As always the passion for angling has now reached the next level..Also Rajat, hoping that the next one does break my rod, and I still manage to pull the fish out of the water with the line...hahaha

Ali and Merwyn, you got PM..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

AB,

Fantastic fish, as tasty as they get. I have added you and the tiger to my "to do" list. Well before the others jump :lol: ....... we will do nothing more than fishing. (or maybe some fenny)

Its a far away plan, so I will keep you posted. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:37 am 
Fishaholic

Adolph wrote:
AB,

Fantastic fish, as tasty as they get. I have added you and the tiger to my "to do" list. Well before the others jump :lol: ....... we will do nothing more than fishing. (or maybe some fenny)

Its a far away plan, so I will keep you posted. :?

Am I a outcast??? :p

Hope the vacations match.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Nice catch.

Please do not start a new thread for every fish you catch. You can post it under your earlier thread. Already done now.

IA

Post subject: Re: hi
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:25 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
MERWYNTIGER wrote:
great antonio,

He stays in your backyard, search for him when you are sober. You both can make a good team and go fishing together.

DeZZ

i am always sober when not fishing but when there is fish at the end of my line i get drunk wjth fighting the fish without the feni,,,,
viva goa viva feni
merwyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hearty congrats Anthony on your first MJ [smilie=coolup.gif]

enjoy your victory {break} dance with the M.J's of goa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:26 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Adolph wrote:
AB,

I have added you and the tiger to my "to do" list.

Am I a outcast??? :p

Hope the vacations match.

Cheers - DeZZ

DeZZ,
You are a brother from another mother. So lets go OUT & CAST. Yeah, I do hope the vacations match, last time they dint. So lets all go home for Xmas.
Viva re viva!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 am 
Fishaholic

Good fish, Abraganza.
Congratulations! Best luch to you. May you catch loads of fish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you everyone for your comments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I am back again friends..But this time I could not make it 3 MJ's in a row..Well, I had gone to the usual spot to target MJ's but at a different time. The last two MJ's were caught 2-3 hours after the low tide during early morning. This time I decided to try my luck in the evening at high tide. That's 2 hours before and after the high tide. Lure used was the same, Rapala Magnum Floating Redhead. This time as I reeled in and was just about to lift the lure from the water, I saw the unmistakeable light red colour of the MJ flashed at me, swirled and disappeared back in to the sea. This happened atleast 5-6 times. Then I changed to a spoon and again the same 5-6 flashes and vanish..

My question to the great ones..Anything I was missing? My friend suggested using different lures of varied colours and those that swim at varied depths..Any suggestions? Or is there something about the eating habits of MJ's during the day vs dusk funda?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

dont slow down the rate of your retrieve when your lure is getting closer to the shore line .. Soemtimes we tend to do that when we see a fish chase the lure ..If at all drop your rod tip down near the water and reel in a little bit faster ... That will give the fish a little more water dept to attack your lure with less fear ... Try it ..... and tight lines

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Buddy,

Most of the jack hits come very close to the shore and its very common to see MJ trying to take the lure when you are about to lift it. What you need to do is when the lure comes close to the shore, use your rod to move the lure around, rather than reeling it straight out.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi

great going...may there be many more.....these days I'm catching ziltich :D I'm happy being on the breakwaters studying lure actions, swimming depths, water colorations etc. :D it's not just the fish otherwise they it would be called Catching instead of fishing... 8)

enjoy your time out under the open sky

Pandim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Fred, Santosh and Pandim...Next time I will make sure the MJ's strike my lure and I land them..:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
dont slow down the rate of your retrieve when your lure is getting closer to the shore line .. Soemtimes we tend to do that when we see a fish chase the lure ..If at all drop your rod tip down near the water and reel in a little bit faster ... That will give the fish a little more water dept to attack your lure with less fear ... Try it ..... and tight lines

I second this..