->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: my first trevally(s).
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:46 am 
Fishaholic

got my kit together on this friday and spent the saturday casting and getting a feel of the rod and reel. hit the port at 0600 and went all the way down the jetty , past the first break. hooked on a roosta popper 80 with a 30 lb floro leader and made a cast. was just getting the hang of working the popper in the surf when it vanished.i did not realize immediately that i had a bite. then with a grin and some trepidation i started the fight. the fish was making fast runs and stripping some reel from the 6000 hyperloop. i had set the drag very low (nervous after loosing a few lures to mulleys with the drag locked down) and subsequently tightened it up. the beef stick and the reel were more than a match for the fish (which felt like a mulley of around 3-4 pounds would have felt like). when finally reeled in it was a whitish fish and is what i think a trevally i dragged it out and my man friday secured it. the fish gave an odd croaking sound. the treble position indicated a clean hit from behind.
changed the spot by around 15 mts and kept on making casts but did not get a bite. after around 10 min saw a few small fish jump clean out of the water and made a cast just ahead of the spot. this time i saw the strike , two actually as the fish missed the first time. another fight with what i felt like a fish of around 3-4 lbs. after getting the damn thing near me it turned out to be another one of 2lbs plus a few oz.
wound up business at this jetty and went away to the pier. saw locals hand lining there , tried my lures and sabiki rig but did not hook up.
went back to the same jetty and for a lark changed the color of the lure. wham ! another hit. this time a small one of around 1-1.25 lbs.
these fish fight hard for the size.
sorry guys have only one photo , the setting for the mobile cam were off and the photos i took were lost. took this one after i started the pc and tried to upload and found that the pics were not there.
sorry dezz! tried the image shack but could not figure it out.
rod - daiwa beef stick
reel - shimano 6000 h
line - 20 lb storm
lure- roosta popper
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt42 ... lly002.jpg

Post subject: good one
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Ha ha ha :)

Good show doc. Its time to get a new camera now :) I will upload the pic for you. No worries. Go to know you start with Trevallys.

Tight lines mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

i was not carrying a camera at all. the pic is from my mobile. i had earlier set my mobile to the wrong mode. but u are right i shall get a pocket cam just after i buy my next rod and reel :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
this is an addicting hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:43 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats on your first trevally.
Good one.

Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

congrates mate.......
thats a great fish to start your account with saltwater fishing......
wish you luck and hope you catch bigger and better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:05 am 
Fishaholic

Good show Mate. Congratulations,

At the rate you are going, the Big one is around the corner. :lol:

Just one word, be p repaired. :wink:

Regards,

Ali.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:09 am 
Fishaholic

thanks ali bhai ! have posted details of the tackle i am running presently. any guidance with regards the same ?
i use a short leader of around 7-8 inches. for my next rod am planning a graphite 10-20 lbs rod in the 8 ft range,with fuji guides and seat. reel is going to be a daiwa regal bri 4000.
do u think i need to up the lb test. am currently using the storm mono from IA shop and am very satisfied with the same.
rest i am looking to catch something in the league of what ali bhai, dezz , m'ken and jeen catch. however as things stand i shall be satisfied with a 4-6 lbs fish the next time (incremental increase).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Ace,

I dont think I should be included in that league :) You may add Dilip and Santosh and Fred instead. I am still a rookie. Suggestion: 20 lbs line on your rod is good enough. The whole idea is once you set the hook, you play the fish till the time it gives up and then reel it in. For me its not the size that matters its the fish you intend to catch. However, there are exceptions to the rule of playing the fish, say for example the grouper, dont even think of playing the fish, if it dives into the rocks it dives for good, even after that they do make occasional runs but then that is where patience plays a role, when the opportunity strikes yank him out, thats the best you can do else there are good chances of your line getting snagged and you loosing your tackle.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:21 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Ace,

I dont think I should be included in that league :)

DeZZ is just being modest..

also great fishing Ace...

regards

Post subject: apologies
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:35 pm 
Fishaholic

sorry ! i forgot the aforementioned maestros and other gurus as well.
any way , after this first salty foray the lake with its murrel and rohu does not look good any more. i do not even want to catch a koi or small rohu any more. looking forward to this sunday.
i shall be hitting chilka in june and see what i can rustle up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Dilip Kawad wrote:
teritex wrote:
Ace,

I dont think I should be included in that league :)

DeZZ is just being modest..

also great fishing Ace...

regards

Your profile pic says it all :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Well done doc. Congrats.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject: Re: apologies
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Ace_doc wrote:
sorry ! i forgot the aforementioned maestros and other gurus as well.
any way , after this first salty foray the lake with its murrel and rohu does not look good any more. i do not even want to catch a koi or small rohu any more. looking forward to this sunday.
i shall be hitting chilka in june and see what i can rustle up.

Hi Doc,

I think, and that is my personal view, that one should enjoy landing every fish, irrespective of its size. :wink:

Getting in the race of bigger and bigger fish is reflective of the rat race we are living today. To me, angling is just opposite to your above thoughts. Once again these are my personal views and just wanted to share with you as a friend. You are free to enjoy your fishing as you like. :P

Regards,

Ali.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Hi Doc,

I think, and that is my personal view, that one should enjoy landing every fish, irrespective of its size. :wink:

Getting in the race of bigger and bigger fish is reflective of the rat race we are living today. To me, angling is just opposite to your above thoughts. Once again these are my personal views and just wanted to share with you as a friend. You are free to enjoy your fishing as you like. :P

Regards,

Ali.

Masha Allah Ali Bhai. You said it the right way. A Trout will equally amaze you like the salt fish.

DOC, if you manage to find these movie, "Passion For Angling" go ahead and buy them they are good very good in fact they will boost you spirit as an angler.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm 
Fishaholic

well ! in us desi "texans" bigger is better. :D
i used to enjoy catching 1-2 pounders and had a ball when i caught those tiddlers in the earlier post. but working a lure in the surf, feeling the fish strip the line and reeling it in to see the flash of silver is better than watching a float for hours.
note - i am not bored of catching murrel and mulleys.
probably even the koi will do on a slow day.
but i really want to hook up with the salties.

ps- need tips on using bait in saltwater. am thinking of using a paternoster rig. but spoke to bopps yesterday he was using sardines without lead. any suggestions ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:32 pm 
Fishaholic

It all depends on the tackle we use.
Trout - Black widow rod, Daiwa 500ZX reel, 4lb maxima chamaleon and
a 2lb trout at the end of the above tackle will give you that
fighting pleasure much as a 30lb barra on a 30lb line.
I have caught a 10 lb mahseer on a 12 lb maxima mono line and an abu allrounder rod, a fight that i can never forget. it took me a good 15 minutes to land the fish before i could photograph it.

more over, i have found that the present day anglers prefer to use a tougher line and tighter drag to land the fish.
In Andamans, I was told, that they pay heavily to fish and the charters are interested in catching more number of fish and hence they fight the fish on tighter drags. I was also told somebody landed a 15lb kingfish (spanish mackeral) just within 2 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are we looking at dear co-anglers? Quality of fishing or the quantity?

Cheers
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

ravinp58 wrote:

more over, i have found that the present day anglers prefer to use a tougher line and tighter drag to land the fish.
In Andamans, I was told, that they pay heavily to fish and the charters are interested in catching more number of fish and hence they fight the fish on tighter drags. I was also told somebody landed a 15lb kingfish (spanish mackeral) just within 2 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are we looking at dear co-anglers? Quality of fishing or the quantity?

Cheers
Ravi

Hi Ravi, there are a couple of ways you look at things. One is from your perspective & the other from the world around you.

1) Not everyone uses heavy tackle to fight fish.
2) fish have a higher survival rate (Catch & release) if they are reeled in faster, when compared to fighting the fish & exhausting it.
3) you cant put everyone in the anglers bracket. Some are anglers & some catch fish with rods.
4) I've caught a 4kg king on a 4lb rod & landed him in 2 -3 mins. The trick is to NOT let your line slack. Once the king is hooked, he will make a run in the direction of the pull (in your direction) & thats when you reel him him really fast.

I'm sure that landing a 15kg king in 2 mins is not possible, unless the fish was dead. He must have dropped his watch in the water & lost track of time in all his excitement. (you will need 2mins to heave a 15kg dead fish out of the water) :lol:

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm 
Fishaholic

here are my 2 cents !
the quality is decided by the angler as keyur rightly pointed out. also i would rather use heavier gear till the time i learn how to fight fish with light gear. i have had break off's with mulley and murrel on 12 lb line. i do not relish a fish running around with an entire popper in its mouth (there are 2 such candidates in our lake). so i would go heavy to avoid such a situation.
further i think as a newbie the zest for hooking larger fish is a part of the game. gradually u learn the nuances and finer points as ali bhai pointed out. i was initially satisfied with catching koi , moved upto rohu and catla (2 pounders), lost a 4 lb catla when the line snapped. discovered lures and murrel/mulley. now this ! each increment gives u a jolt. and later an appreciation for the levels gone by. i also agree that to land a 15 lb kingfish u need it to be dead. i took more than 2 minutes / trevally. that was when my rod/reel/line out classed the fish by a factor of 10.
any way waiting for this sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,
It's easier to land a live fish than a dead fish!!!
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

ravinp58 wrote:
Hi Keyur,
It's easier to land a live fish than a dead fish!!!
Ravi

Ravi, I agree with you, provided that the fish is small.

As per what I have experienced, I have been pulled by something that seemed like an underwater 'Truck' (just 3 weeks ago while live baiting). I managed to fight it for some time, till my 30lb line gave way on the rocks @ 10mtrs from where I was standing. :evil:
I dont think a dead fish would do this to me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:03 pm 
Fishaholic

what bout some tips on how to fight a fish better and the what and how of bait fishing in saltwater ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Ace_doc wrote:
what bout some tips on how to fight a fish better and the what and how of bait fishing in saltwater ?

thats a good question put forward......
it will be better if anyone can describe how to handel the fish while fighting it?
what are the methods and the tricks?
how to try to bring the fish on surface, driving it left/right?
sure will help new comers.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:24 pm 
Fishaholic

that question certainly put the hydraulic brakes on this thread ! say hoze what have been ur experience ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:09 am 
Fishaholic

There is a lot you can write about fighting a fish but I will make a few pointers that I hope can help and I am sure others can contribute.
Here are my 2 cents.

1. When a fish takes the bait, try to stay calm, it is difficult but try to, it will help you to think more clearly and not do something stupid that will cause you to loose your fish or injure yourself or someone else in the process.

2. Striking v/s not striking – depends on what you prefer, today’s hooks are so sharp that at times there is no need to strike just raising the rod and holding it firm is sufficient to drive the hook home, however I still strike. I fish with lures, and some sea fish have real hard mouths so I find it hard not to strike.

3. Always maintain steady pressure on the fish and do not let your line slack, with barbed or barb-less hooks, In a long fight especially the puncture that the hook has made will widen with pressures and if the line slacks the hook can just come off.

4. Adjusting the drag, again different schools of thought here, some say never, use your palm or thumb, never adjust the drag, While I use my palm I also adjust the drag, have always been doing so and never had a problem. With Game reels especially, lever drags shifting the drag is almost a must. It is a good idea to use a scale to adjust your drag, I must confess though I only do that on my game reels.

5. Stopping a fish, if you have strong fish on and he runs there is really nothing you can do but wait, if possible move with the fish to avoid obstacles that could cut or snag your line. You could use pressure to guide your fish away from objects. Applying pressure directly against the fish is least effective if you are trying to turn or stop the fish, if you want to try and stop a fish or turn it, you need to apply if from the side either side will do depending on the circumstances. Applying pressure from the side will throw a fish off balance and is more effective then pressure from over and behind. Bear in mind which way the current or water flow is and try to use it to your advantage or you will be fighting the fish as well as the water.

6. Fish do not try and cut the line against rocks etc., what they do is try and rub the lure or hook against a structure, rock or bottom, your line can get cut in the process. Try to guide your fish away from any such objects.

7. As line goes out of your spool, the spool diameter reduces, so the drag pressure increases because of decreased leverage, simple physics. Ensure your drag is adjusted well, 1/3rd to 1/4th (of your lines BS) experienced anglers on lever drag reels apply max pressure from the start and compensate accordingly with the shrinking/expanding diameter, of the spool.

8. Your rod is a spring use it to its best advantage during a fight. Don’t wind the fish in, your reel is not a winch.

9. A fish always looks slightly smaller in water than it really is. (hope this does not fuel the "one that got away" tails) :lol: so never underestimate the fish.

10. Some may not agree with this, but it is my personal preference, when I have got a fish in real close and feel I have sufficient control over it I tend to loosen the drag and play the fish with soft hands, as the angles are now reduces and at such close quarters pressure could be more, if a fish is not hooked to well then the chances of a fish tearing off the hook is high if they make a sudden run at such close quarters.

11. Landing a fish is as important as fighting it, make sure you stay calm, do not try and lift the fish out of the water, gaffing or netting should be done in one smooth stroke, if you choose to beach the fish use the waves and current to your advantage, and guide the fish in. Pump with the wave, hold against it.

12. Your knots are important, when you are fishing fine diameter lines make sure the knot you use spreads the pressure over the line so that it does not cut into itself. Cut off a few feet of line after a long fight and before you start fishing again.

13. Take care of your equipment, check your guides regularly, overhaul your reel, clean the drag washers, check your line, test it and change it if required. Check your terminal tackle like swivels etc which often get neglected. Wash your equipment immediately after fishing especially when you do so in Salt Water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:20 am 
Fishaholic

thanks bobby ! a great post for newbies like me. i did not know that u need to reduce the drag as the line goes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:22 am 
Fishaholic

Ace_doc wrote:
thanks bobby ! a great post for newbies like me. i did not know that u need to reduce the drag as the line goes out.

Well you don't need to do so and I won't recommend it, this is the reason you set your drag to approx 1/4th of the BS of your line. I was talking lever drag reels and big game fishing, what very experienced anglers do.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Ace_doc wrote:

congrats DOC on your first salty ! Man I'm glad you finally added some salt to your fish ing plans :wink: how does it feel upgrading on a bigger pitch :lol: ? did you enjoy the action ? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:21 pm 
Fishaholic

puts life in perspective. the big league has not even begun yet and i can still feel the pull exerted by these fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Ace_doc wrote:
puts life in perspective. the big league has not even begun yet and i can still feel the pull exerted by these fish.

:lol: :lol: you ain't seen nothin yet my dear :lol: remember Doc what I said about underarm gully cricket and international stadium match :wink: you are now in transitional phase , brace your self, hold on to your dear rod tightly :wink: the big mama of that baby trevally is furiously searching your popper :lol: :lol: Welcome to the thrill seeker's League , It has been more than a decade since I last caught a freshwater fish,

{psst Doc when fishing saltwater EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED }

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:05 pm 
Enlightened

hey its a nice fish :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Good fish Doc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:58 pm 
Fishaholic