->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: How to use Sabiki Rigs?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello,
I have seen people here use sabiki rigs from sea pier,they use handlines and resort to vertical jigging. They usually catch small fishes using this. How can sabiki rigs be effectively used to catch fishes. what are the other methods to use sabiki other than vertical jigging?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Cast & retreive.

Have caught 4 queens & 3 orange spot trevallys on one line (altogether) while casting & retreiving. Each were just @ 750gm to a kg, but it was fun reeling them in.

I started off this fishing season with 2 queens @ 3kg each, on a sabiki while casting & retreiving.

I have also used sabiki before a lure while trolling.

regards,
Keyur

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Cast & retreive.
Have caught 4 queens & 3 orange spot trevallys on one line (altogether) while casting & retreiving. Each were just @ 750gm to a kg, but it was fun reeling them in.
I started off this fishing season with 2 queens @ 3kg each, on a sabiki while casting & retreiving.
Keyur

Hello keyur, i have a lot of doubts :)

how many hooks did your sabiki have?
what was the length of the sabiki?
what was the sabiki made of (feather/plastic).
where do you use the sabiki from ie shore / pier / bridge ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:10 pm 
Fishaholic

We have sabikis with 6 / 8 / 10 hooks. Sometimes we cut them if there are too many hooks. The number of hooks vary with the brand that makes them. the most common is 6 hooks.

I have sabikis made of plastic (of different colours) and also feather.

Here most people use the sabiki & then discard them as they are difficult to keep. I roll mine up on a piece of thermacole & keep on inserting the hooks one by one in line (on the thermacole) while it is being rolled up. I then rinse it in fresh water, dry it & store it.

I use them from shore, breakwaters & also from the boat.

A lot of people use a sabiki on a boat & let it hang off board. With the drifiting motion of the boat, they (including myself & my friends) have caught some big species (Grouper, Diamond trevally, queenfish, orange spot trevallys & even small reef sharks).

The hooks on the sabiki rig keep on moving with the underwater currents & it looks like a shoal of small fish.

The reason we used it for trawling is that it would appear like a fish (our lure) is chasing small fish (sabiki rig) & would attract more fish to strike at the lure & sabiki rig. Te difficult part is when the sabiki rig reaches the top guide on your rod & you cant reel anymore. You then still have a couple of meters of line still out, the fish on the lure & @ half a dozen hooks that get in the way :lol:

regards,
Keyur