->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Setup for lure fishing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello all,
Can any of you explain how can we setup a spinning rod for lure fishin.
ie, the basic setup of lines,how to connect the different lines,the swivel setup, the lure setup etc. If anyone can give an image for the same, then that would be a great help for budding anlgers like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:49 pm 

Dear,

I have posted the Image which will be helping you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

There are a few ways to do it:

1. Run your lines to the guides on your rod and tie the lure directly to the end of the line using a simple knot like the uni-knot.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/videofis ... /videos/9/

2. You could use a trace/Leader of Mono line, Flurocarbon line or wire, wire should be used only of necessary as it will reduce your strike rate.
- The trace or leader should have a matching swivel (to match your line) at one end and a quick release clip at the other you could use uni-knots to tie these to the trace.

- If using smaller lures do not use a quick release clip and tie the lure to the trace directly using a uni-knot. If using wire I twist the wire around to attach the clip and the swivel.

- You also get ready made cable trace lines that you can purchase directly. You can make your own cable leaders using crimps where you would tie the knot.

- The length of the leader will vary depending on your fishing conditions you can take 1 - 2 feet as an average guideline.

3. If you use a leader or trace to fish, then after you run the main line through the guides you just tie the swivel end of the trace line to the main line using a uni-knot.

Hope this is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:48 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
There are a few ways to do it:

Hope this is helpful.

need to know one thing.....
in the above picture (carolina rig)
some weight is attached.....
can i use 1oz weight so as to throw the lure far without affecting its action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:16 pm 
Fishaholic

balaboxi wrote:
Dear,

I have posted the Image which will be helping you....

Thanks for the info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:17 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Bobby"]
Thanks for the wealth of info bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:20 am 
Fishaholic

Starting off I would advise you to stay away from adding weights, besides the action (though it will not really affect it if done properly, it can be a casting nightmare) Weights are used to get the lure to go deeper.

Start off with standard floating Minnow type lures. Go in for the ones that have bearing and magnets inside for casting distance and balance.

Remember one thing, with lures you are targeting predatory fish, from shore these fish are not swimming in the deepest part of the pool but waiting to ambush bait fish behind some cover, it could be weeds, rocks, a hole, behind a sandbar or if some coloured water edge where it meets clear water. These are the places you need to target not trying to cast as far as you can, this is the most common error made by novice anglers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
with lures you are targeting predatory fish, from shore these fish are not swimming in the deepest part of the pool but waiting to ambush bait fish behind some cover, it could be weeds, rocks, a hole, behind a sandbar or if some coloured water edge where it meets clear water. These are the places you need to target not trying to cast as far as you can, this is the most common error made by novice anglers.

Yup I second Bobby on that .. a lot of my sucesss whilst fishing is because I would normally go at LOW TIDE and look for these possible hideouts / ambush points that predatory fish would hide to ambush the bait fish and make a mental note so that I could target the same spots at high tide ...

At outer rock in Bandstand , whenever i was the first there .... I would NEVER go close to the rock edge to cast but would stay back and flip the lure just 8 - 10 feet from the rock and start reeling in .. I can tell you that I caught a lot of Barramundi 2- 3 feet from the waters edge and big ones at that .Some even took the lure as i was going to lift it out of the water

Also such ambush places also act as resting places for the fish as they are shielded from the main current so fish naturally stay behind this cover ... ALWAYS facing the current ... The natural thing whilst working your lure from the shore is to make sure that you work your lure downstream WITH the current . This is the most natural presentation of the lure and is closest to the Bait fish that these predators are waiting to Ambush ...

Hope this helps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="balaboxi"]
hi, i have a basic doubt .In the image you have shown(carolina rig) the leader is tied to a swivel, when this setup is attached to the pole , the swivel wont go through the topmost eye of the rod na?. so the entire length of the leader (1to 1.5 times the length of the rod ) would be hangling from the tip of the rod, wouldnt this affect the casting distance???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:26 am 
Fishaholic

Depending on the size of the swivel and your top guide ring, if the inner diameter of the top guide ring is smaller than the swivel width, then the swivel will not pass through the top guide and you will not have a problem.

In a case where the swivel is narrow enough to pass through the top guide, common sense dictates you do not make a cast when the swivel has passed through the top guide (I hope you are not yanking my chain with this question). Any of these things could happen:

1. Yes casting distance will be hampered, but this is the least of your worries.

2. You could damage or break your top guide.

3. The swivel could get stuck in the top guide and your entire top section could fly off with the cast.

Though there is no hard and fast rule of how far the swivel should be away from the rod tip, you should allow enough of room so that when your rod bends in the cast the swivel is not drawn into the top guide ring or in a case where the swivel is large pushes against the top guide ring which could damage the top guide. I like to keep approx a foot of line between the top guide and trace swivel.

FYI unless you are really devoid of basic senses or seriously distracted you will always know when the guide has passed through the top ring :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi

An experienced IA member explained the futility of using a swivel on a spinning setup to me in a PM.

Thereafter I use mainline (braid) - double uni knot - leader - lure. If you use a wire trace for the toothy critters then the trace will come with swivel at one end and coast lock snap on the lure end.

I use max 3 ft leader so the knot is well outside the tip guide when casting, I fish saltwater from the shore.

Regards
Pandim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:54 am 
Fishaholic

I would suggest that you start with the basics.
For General lure fishing from the shore in India, the simplest outfit would be a spinning rod of about 2.4m (eight feet) and capable of casting between 20 and 80g - if it's a bit heavier that's OK but to long or to heavy and it will get to be hard work.
Partner the rod with a mediun size reel (about size 6000 if you're using Shimano sizings) loaded with nylon monofilament line of between 7 and 10kg (15-20lb) breaking strain.
To start with, get yourself a pack of 4" and a pack of 5" soft shad type lures and a couple of shallow diving minow plugs in the 5 - 6" range.
Simply tie on a lure and you're ready to fish.
There are lots of knots that you can tie the lure on with but do take the time to learn how to tie a few properly or you will loose fish and expensive lures.
The "Rapala knot" is popular but personally I think that once the loop has been strained once, the alledged improvements in lure action are gone and you're simply left with an inferior knot and a loop that's prone to tangles.
The simplest and esiest to tie of the reliable knots is the "tucked half blood knot" which you can learn to tie from internet demonstrations in abouth four minutes.
That's it. The mantra is KIS or Keep It Simple !
Just cast your lure out and wind it back - SLOWLY! - Most people retrieve far to fast.

Slightly more advanced stuff include clips to make changing lures easier and faster, imparting lure action through the rod, braid mainlines with mono or flourocarbon leaders, thinking properly about fish location and lure presentations, soft plastic lures rigged Texas, Carolina and wacky style, walking the dog with surface lures, using jig heads in combination with soft lures to acheive specific actions and a whole world of other stuff and that can wait for other posts.
To start with though, I suggest that you remember KIS and go out and throw some lures about to see if you can catch some fish - just remember that treble hooks are dangerous and make sure you have some unhooking tools before you go on the beach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Very well put, Ken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

@ KENL - wow ken, u really know how to teach newbies like me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Glad it was useful. The scope of your question was so wide that I had to assume that you know nothing and I was wary of sounding patronising if that wasn't the case - and that's the sort of thing that can put peoples backs up when using an anonymous medium like the internet.

One thing that I should have mentioned is your reels drag system. This is there to prevent your line or (more likely) your rod from breaking if you hook a big fish and simply allows the fish to take line before something snaps. It ifs adjusted by the knob on the front of the reel.
Forget all the stuff you may have read about setting it to this or that percentage of the lines breaking strain and simply set up the rod and hook your lure onto something solid and pull. You should adjust the drag so that the reel gives line when the rod is under load. Exactly how much pressure it should take before the reel gives line is up to you but the drag should be tight enough so that no line is given when you cast (the line will cut your finger if that happens) but should certanly be loose enough that it is giving line before the rod is bent to the stage where it looks like the rod in this link.
http://paddlefishguideservice.com/
Personally, I think it's better to have to little drag than to much because it gives you chance to learn without endangering your rod.

As for outfits, Bops used to sell some combo's through the site. I don't know if he still does but I'm sure he could advise you if you get in touch.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
To start with, get yourself a pack of 4" and a pack of 5" soft shad type lures and a couple of shallow diving minow plugs in the 5 - 6" range.

Just as you have assumed, i am just a novice..and like u suggested i was thinking of buying some minnow type lures.... i was thinking of the halco laser pro 45 or the halco socerer 35.. which one do you suggest is best suitable for indian conditions.please do suggest the type... the types available are given in the attached images

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Glad it was useful. As for outfits, Bops used to sell some combo's through the site. I don't know if he still does but I'm sure he could advise you if you get in touch.

Ken

its posts like urs in this forum that draws ppl like me to the forum.. regarding tackle i have a
7' shakespeare spreva combo
with a 12lb line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:35 pm 
Fishaholic

[/quote]I have a 7' shakespeare spreva combo with a 12lb line[/quote]

OK, that outfit is perhaps a little light but it'll certanly be good enough to get you started.

In order to avoid overloading the rod, I'd stick with 4" soft lures like the "Wildeye Swim Shad" made by Storm lures.
For the same reason, start off with just the 5" minnow lures.
The Halco lures pictured in your post both have large diving bibs set at a shallow angle at the front of the lure. This will cause them to dive deeply and you'd be better off with shallow running lures to start with (you can use the soft plastics for deeper water as their single upturned hook is less likely to snag) and these will have a smaller bib that is set at a much steeper angle. There are a lot of excellent shallow diving plugs on the market (and available in India) but the sort of small bib set at a steep angle that I'm talking about is clearly visible on these lures made by Bomber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Bobby wrote:
with lures you are targeting predatory fish, from shore these fish are not swimming in the deepest part of the pool but waiting to ambush bait fish behind some cover, it could be weeds, rocks, a hole, behind a sandbar or if some coloured water edge where it meets clear water. These are the places you need to target not trying to cast as far as you can, this is the most common error made by novice anglers.

At outer rock in Bandstand , whenever i was the first there .... I would NEVER go close to the rock edge to cast but would stay back and flip the lure just 8 - 10 feet from the rock and start reeling in .. I can tell you that I caught a lot of Barramundi 2- 3 feet from the waters edge and big ones at that .Some even took the lure as i was going to lift it out of the water

Also such ambush places also act as resting places for the fish as they are shielded from the main current so fish naturally stay behind this cover ... ALWAYS facing the current ... The natural thing whilst working your lure from the shore is to make sure that you work your lure downstream WITH the current . This is the most natural presentation of the lure and is closest to the Bait fish that these predators are waiting to Ambush ...

Hope this helps :wink:

hey thanks for this useful information mates.....
but here we have perfectly flat beaches where i have rarely seen any hiding places for predatory fishes.........
there are no sand bars as well.....
what should be the strategy in this case.......

last week water was crystal clear
i used a green color minnow and saw a couple of breams and flounders follow it and caught a squid / cuttle fish on the same minnow....
it was for the first time that i caught anything on the artificial lure.....
then i used a shad and it was chased by gars and flounders..... got only one strike from gar but mostly they just chased the shad......
and to the most amazing part is when i was casting my bait fell off and i was retreving without any bait....... suddenly i felt a jurk and i to my amazement i caught a fish....... for sure it looked like a predatory fish and it was hooked properly in the mouth......... this was a lot of things in one day of fishing.... i will post pictures of fish so that it can be identified....
please give some advice on to fishing the flats......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken

please share your thoughts on the Bomber Magnum Long A lures in terms of best color pattern. I've ordered the silver flake/red head and silver flake/chart. The fire river looks a sure fish catcher, unfortunately the color was not in stock when i placed my order.

also your opinion on 'fish can't really distinguish colors' would be appreciated.

Cheers
Pandim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Obviously they all work but if I were stuck with a choice of two from the ones pictured I'd go with the Rainbow trout for nighttime Barramundi (The feed on squid a lot and pale colours work well) and the other for daytime fishing would have to be starlight black as it combines a stron siloete with flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
There are a lot of excellent shallow diving plugs on the market (and available in India) but the sort of small bib set at a steep angle that I'm talking about is clearly visible on these lures made by Bomber.

alas ken, my dealer is only supplying halco lures, i searched for bomber lures here,but no luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:44 pm 
Fishaholic

You could always try http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1876
The 12cm X-Rap should suit and I see that Bops also has the Storm shads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
The 12cm X-Rap should suit.

which color should i opt for

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

I've no idea what Bops has in stock but the general rule would be to go for pale colours (or solid black) for fishing at night, something naturalistic with a bit of flash for daytime and flouro colours for dirty water.
There are endless theories about lure colour choices bit I stick to KIS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Lets see how things work out this weekend ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 am 
Fishaholic

We seem to have a lot of success with Red-White (red head) here night fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:25 am 
Fishaholic

hozefaishaqali wrote:

hey thanks for this useful information mates.....
but here we have perfectly flat beaches where i have rarely seen any hiding places for predatory fishes.........
there are no sand bars as well.....
what should be the strategy in this case.......

last week water was crystal clear
i used a green color minnow and saw a couple of breams and flounders follow it and caught a squid / cuttle fish on the same minnow....
it was for the first time that i caught anything on the artificial lure.....
then i used a shad and it was chased by gars and flounders..... got only one strike from gar but mostly they just chased the shad......
and to the most amazing part is when i was casting my bait fell off and i was retreving without any bait....... suddenly i felt a jurk and i to my amazement i caught a fish....... for sure it looked like a predatory fish and it was hooked properly in the mouth......... this was a lot of things in one day of fishing.... i will post pictures of fish so that it can be identified....
please give some advice on to fishing the flats......

Hi Hoze,

I have noticed that Garfish will follow almost anything that moves over the waters. I have caught many a garfish here in dubai and the righ had 2 of # 10 hooks and shrimp as bait. You have to use a relatively small chunk of shrimp that barely covers the hook and once you cast you see the gar jumping away from where you cast but if you try retrieving the live they follow and bite.

For breams and Nagroors I would suggest you use a paternoster rig and shrimp or squid as bait as they work the best at least for me. But the imp. factor for this fish is the spot where you find them. You must be surely having some sort of a breakwater or a jetty structure out there. Try those place for better chances.

For that matter even I have experienced breams following the lures and they are hesitant to give a bite and once they come in close proximity.

If you are fishing the flats. You should read on of the links which Ali had posted about how to read the surf. Most likely you will end up hooking a sting ray, bartail flathead or a flounder. However, if you cast at the right spot do expect a good size bream or nagroor. These 2 fish are a pain to clean though :)

Cheers

DeZZ