->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Urgent Advice needed
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:55 am 

I fly to goa on Monday, i will be visiting north and south goa during my holiday, and i will be fishing from the shore, my current tackle is very light 7ft spinning rod and reel, lures + hooks+ sinkers etc. i chose a 7ft rod as anything 3lb over will be great fun to pull in through the surf. anyway i need advice on bait, should i go for prawn or mackerel?

2 years ago i went to goa and caught severel catfish from the shore this time i wanting to expand on the species caught! please would you be able to name some more target species!

thanx in advance Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:02 am 
Fishaholic

Barramundi and mangrove jacks are the main target with the former averaging about 12lb and the latter averaging about 4lb but macking up for their size with attitude.
Other common species include grouper, barracouda, bartailed flathead, queenfish, GT's, mullet, murray eels and sand sharks.

For bait you can use whatever is available with squid being easy to obtain, easy to set up on a hook and cheap and sardines being a good alternative if you can get them fresh. Prawns arn't so good as the ones available are often freshwater prawns and don't make great sea baits.

Baitfishing will see you plagued with catfish and eels so why not put some lures in ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:48 pm 

What kind of lures? Can you post some names and sizes of the lures! Thanx for your help ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:48 pm 

Stronger rod i the first thing you need ( i use 20 pound braid as main line ) and then some 3-5 inche shads + long slim spoons and posible a few poppers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:06 pm 

it's quite a strong spinning sport rod it will handle anything up 6lb, that's all i'm after really. do the shad's need to be any specific colour? last time i had 4 inch orange shads and they failed to catch.
maybe you could post a picture? thanx Sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Shads work well with a base colour of white with tint of blue ,browns,The rod you using is a bit on the lighter side especially if you gonna fish from shore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:49 am 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
Shags work well with a base colour of white with tint of blue ,browns,The rod you using is a bit on the lighter side .

Fred, what is this with Niel and Shads?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
heliox1965 wrote:
Shags work well with a base colour of white with tint of blue ,browns,The rod you using is a bit on the lighter side .

Fred, what is this with Niel and Shads?

Is Fred involved with Neil & his shads ???

[smilie=holyshit.gif]

Something fishy going on !