->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi folks...

Please excuse me for the exaggerated title of this post. But than it was my first big catch from the Shore. Here is how it went.

After a bad dream of someone landing a 16 kg cobia right in front of my eyes, I was determined to land something of the same size. It was Friday the 27th of November and the Jobless angler had nothing to do and to add to it Keyur was not able to accompany me on a friday. Had my sis and bro in law visiting me that day. So decide to take the whole bunch fishing (2 spectators). We left early morning @ 0430 hrs for a good 57 kms drive to the marina break waters. The female species decide to stay back in the car and have a nap till the first ray of the sun. Me and my bro in law, Marwin decided to walk the rocks, the most irritating part. Once we reached the spot the place looked sluggish as compared to the earlier friday. Waters were calm, not much of action happening and not many Filipinos with 4 rods around. Got my rig ready with a dead ballyhoo. Cast as far as I could and was waiting. And I kept waiting. Nobody caught anything that time and after a good half an hour I saw ballyhoos surface and running over the waters. WOW that was the sign of the barracudas around. I knew for sure that there will be a strike any moment. I a few minutes I got a hit and I gave a solid yank as I knew there was a eagle claw circle hook on the rig which I believe would reduce my chances of hooking something. The fish was hooked. Did not put a fight like the barracudas do it gave a run and then ran straight to the shore and I was trying to reel in and suddenly the line was loose. WOW what a disappointment. Saw the RIG was bitten above the eagle claw and I presume it was not hooked properly. From the runs I believe it could have been a kingfish though not big in size. Got another ballyhoo rigged for a second cast. Not long since the first strike got another hit this was for sure a barracuda from the way it was wiggling. It almost came ashore and just disappeared. When I carefully studied the bites on the bait. I had 2 hooks the eagle claw in the nose of the ballyhoo and a treble below the dorsal. The fish managed to take a bite right below the hook and took the best part of my bait. I repeated the same mistake. Had a third strike and was most certainly a barracuda as I saw it leap. This was was slightly bigger than the previous one and did not hold for long it bit off the tail portion of the ballyhoo and left me wondering.

THE ANGLER LEARNS FROM HIS MISTAKES.

It was time I changed the way I rigged the ballyhoo. I shoved the rig from the ballyhoos stomach and through its mouth in such a way that the eagle claw protrude from the baits stomach and the treble was hooked slight towards the tail. I used a wire tie to tie the wire leader to the nose of the bait. The rig looked perfect. It was 0612 hrs approx and I cast in the same direction. A good 15 mins. and I got a good a strike. One good yank and had the hooks do the job. The fish was not a barracuda this time as it made good energetic runs. Luckily for me there were not many anglers around. The fish took a 50 meter left run with full stride and then turned back with yet another run. My reel was leaving all the line it could. So I tightened the drag a bit. Three strides in all possible directions and all of a sudden a run towards the shore. I started reeling with all my might as the line was slack. Meanwhile the fish was hovering near the rocks and I was afraid the braid would give way. Finally the king showed up. My bro in law got the gaff ready and managed to gaff the fish in the right place. My excitement new no bounds. The spectators actually had a cometary recorded whilst landing the fish. Below are the pictures of the first king I landed. It weighed approx 3.2 kgs.

Gear used.
Rod: DAIWA EMCAST SURF ROD
Reel: DAIWA TIERRA
Line: POWER PRO Red 20 lbs with 40 lbs monoleader (As suggested by Ali)
Hooks: Eagle Claw Circle and a VMC Treble

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:25 pm 
Enlightened

congrats dude! just wanted to ask if you attach a weight with the bait.

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:47 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats mate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

Very cool! great fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Good catch! If possible please post a picture of your ballyhoo bait rigged up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 am 
Fishaholic

DeZZ by the BAY caught a nice little king and sure he is making hay- :lol: :lol: :twisted: :lol: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Mate,

Very nice fish.

Congratulations..

Regards,

Ali. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Bops,

we should be out fishing on Wednesday morning.

Will take a pic of the rig & the rig with ballyhoo.

regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi bops,

I use a running rig. To hook the ballyhoo we use one circle hook and one treble at a distance of 3 inches max. We so far have used bleeding wire leaders and normal wire leader coated with plastic. I guess it was a 60 lb wire leader we use. Description of the rig also appears in my post above.

Cheers - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm 
Fishaholic

teritex wrote:
Hi bops,

I use a running rig. To hook the ballyhoo we use one circle hook and one treble at a distance of 3 inches max. We so far have used bleeding wire leaders and normal wire leader coated with plastic. I guess it was a 60 lb wire leader we use. Description of the rig also appears in my post above.

Cheers - DeZZ

Congrates for the first King....
may you catch bigger and better kings and queens and not to forget cobia!!!!
thanks dez for the discription of the rig
but a picture is worth a thousand words :-) :-)
still no luck with any fish this season as not able to go out as frequent...
will try my luck this friday.........
all the best for your next trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats for the king and happy fishing.

Spoonangler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:45 am 

I'm not sure whether it should be different for the species you are targeting, but I've been told to not set the hook when using circle hooks. The fish will hook itself good and the angler setting the hook will be counterproductive. This is what I've been taught and the ideal practice may be different for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:38 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats [smilie=superkewl.gif]

Saravanan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

skunker wrote:
I'm not sure whether it should be different for the species you are targeting, but I've been told to not set the hook when using circle hooks. The fish will hook itself good and the angler setting the hook will be counterproductive. This is what I've been taught and the ideal practice may be different for you.

Thats what circle hooks are supposed to do ideally speaking :) But then I realized that the circle hook was not much required at the beak as most of the times it was the treble hook that did most of the job. Now I have changed to live bait hooks one on dorsal fin and a treble a couple or less inches ahead.

I sporadically use circle hooks and have not been using them lately so really would not comment on the performance of circle hooks. They might prove good on fish like Grouper and Cobia, considering the structure of their mouth.

DeZZ