->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

After landing the sting ray on the 13th of Nov, I decided to head out once again on the weekend 20th Nov & kept telling myself that its been really late for me to 'not yet' land a kingfish this season.

Come thursday night, I get a call from Roger, a buddy off the dubai forum who has finally managed to come from sweden on a holiday & wants to experience fishing in Dubai. Since my pal with the boat is in the UK, its only shore fishing for me & I tell him so. Roger is a guide for salmon fishing & is mainly a fly fisherman. Anyway, he says that he is ok with lures, but last did some spinning / lure casting @ 5 - 6 years ago.

anyway, his preference is to go light too (just like me) & I agree to pick him up at 5am.

By the time I pick him up & we reach the spot, Desmond has already caught 2 barracudas with ballyhoo & says that they are hitting all over the place. I rig up a little xrap 10 & cast away, I get a hit on my first cast, but lose the fish. just then the chap standing at the side of me, fishing with what looked like 70lb line & a towering (long) telescopic rod gets a huge strike (on sardine), his rod bends over & soon he is being taken for a long walk around the rocks. He was upset saying that he doesnt want to catch a stingray & someone else from the other end of the rocks shouts out 'No sting ray, no catfish, its kingfish my friend". During this time I made me second cast & managed to hook up into something. Just then Desmond shouts out, keyur, thats not a kingfish, he has hooked a cobia.
I managed to land my first king this season in a matter of minutes, & then whipped out my camera.

In all this commotion, I forgot to take pics of my fish, & started taking pics of the cobia that was just landed. (Actually my king weighing just @ 3kg seemed really tiny compared to the cobia).

I weighed the cobia on my digital scale & it weighed 15.85kgs. not bad for shore fishing.

I went on to land 1 king & 3 barracudas & I lost 9 fish which I couldnt land. (what do you expect with a rod rated for 8lb ?)
I had a field day which I thoroughly enjoyed after a very long time & my hands were aching with all the fish fights.
Desmond landed 3 barracudas & Roger had 5 strikes, but couldnt land any.

I should have some pics soon, which Roger took & will send them to me once he is back in Sweden in the next couple of days.

for now, I just have one pic of the cobia that was taken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats a good size fish Bro.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:52 am 
Fishaholic

The action must have been explosive guys...that that Black King (Cobia) is one special fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

Very nice day! Fantastic fishing there mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

That was a big one.

Post subject: pic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:19 pm 
Enlightened

Hi guys

I think justice was not done to that picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

A very Good Report mate, and thanks for sharing picture of that Superb Kobia. With The 70 lbs. line he was using, did he pulled the fish just like that? Looking forward to your pics with your king Fish.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:10 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Arun,

like I mentioned in the heading......he was taken for a walk......or nearly dragged over the rocks. Our of courtesy some of us stopped fishing till he moved out of our way while fighting the fish, while everyone else was hurling abuses at him for disrupting their fishing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
HI Arun,

like I mentioned in the heading......he was taken for a walk......or nearly dragged over the rocks. Our of courtesy some of us stopped fishing till he moved out of our way while fighting the fish, while everyone else was hurling abuses at him for disrupting their fishing :lol:

hurling abuses haaan :twisted: :twisted:

Hay man, you should all be proud of this gentleman for landing such a great fish from the rocks.. :twisted: :wink:

Good report and nice photos.

Regards,

Ali/ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Keyur wrote:
hurling abuses haaan :twisted: :twisted:

Hay man, you should all be proud of this gentleman for landing such a great fish from the rocks.. :twisted: :wink:

Good report and nice photos.

Regards,

Ali/ :D

Hi Ali,

right now the water is much cooler & the big fish are in.

Fishing here in Dubai, we never know what we may end up hooking from shore, especially off the breakwaters as the water is moderately deep (20 to 30ft) & enough for the big guys to come it.
Last year around this time, I got spooled out with a 20lb line & couldnt slow the fish down. 5 weeks back I had hits from tuna & lost 3 lures in a span on 2-3 mins.
Already taken a 11.65kg stingray (my heaviest fish from shore), loads of barracuda & kingfish. (all in 2-3 weekends)

Here, people dont usually care about how big a fish you caught & landed, unless you are going to share it with them. Here the concept of giving each angler his space, ceases to exist. These guys can sometimes be a pain especially when they use 4 & 5 rods each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:42 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Wonderful fish caught. Congrats for the cobia and happy fishing.

Spoonangler.