->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:54 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

I think it's common knowledge that Barramundi fishing from the shore at night is far more successful than in the daytime.
Mangrove Jacks also love to feed at night and are happy come within casting range once the sun is off the water.

All of my lure caught flathead have also been taken at night and I've caught a single barracouda in full darkness despite the fact that they often go crazy at dusk.

GT's on the other hand have always been a daylight fish for me although I've had a few at the start and end of the day.

What are other anglers experiences ?
I'm particularly interested in hearing from those guys that target threadfin (Ravas) with lures about when you target these fish.

What about turbid (muddy) water ? Does this reverse the usual rules ?

Of course this thread will also be usefull to any freshwater or bait anglers who are switching to lures and save them wasting theit time thrashing the water to foan in full daylight when chasing noctornal species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:20 am 
Fishaholic

Ken,

You can take Ravas on lures at night as well, however, given that Ravas are so scarce now I wonder how many of us have had the pleasure of taking them at night. Barra have replaced the Ravas around the Konkan so when fishing at night you are more likely to take a Barra than a Ravas, but the odd stradler has been taken.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby.

The Ravas were definatly one reason for my question. I was wondering whether some of the "unstoppable" fish that I've hooked at night might have been big threadfin. When I hook one of these things, it always seems to happen on the beach adjacent to the estuary and not in the river itself and when they go, they just run in a straight line which is most un-barra like.
Quite apart from wanting to land one of these beasties irrespective of it's species, I'd really like to get myself an Indian threadfin (especially as Scott managed one last year) and was wondering whether I needed to change my fishing times and tactics to achieve this.
From what you've said, my timings are OK so I guess I'll just have to keep on working the shallow water on the open beach (instead of crowding the end of the sand spit with everyone else) until things come together.

Of course I would ideally like to build up a good enough knowledge of Indian Saltwater species and their habbits to be able to target fish appropriatly at any time of the day or night. Afterall, who needs sleep when there's fishing to be done ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi ken,

As per as my meager experience, the feeding pattern of fishes are spot specific up to some extent. I know of spot were Ravas only feed in day time and I know of the spot where Feeding only happens in night. I am aware about the spot you are referring and I have a strong suspicion that you may get occasional strike of a thread fin in the night only on the beach. Not very far from the spot in question, there is one more place, similar with small estuary where you can target a Ravas in day time only(Locals catch them in there cast nets :!: )…

Just one suggestion, keep an eye for surf with yellow color foam and that is the place to catch your good Ravas. :wink:

I am sure this time you will land a good Ravas if you give it a proper try.,

Best of luck..

Ali.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali.

Yellow foam ?

Should I take it that you're referring to their habit of feeding in very shallow water and the yellow foam is sand in the wave ?

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
Hi Ali.

Yellow foam ?

Should I take it that you're referring to their habit of feeding in very shallow water and the yellow foam is sand in the wave ?

Ken

When I say yellow foam, I mean yellow foam on the surf. On the many places on the cost you will find this phenomenon and the locals call it fenn or fenny. I do not know the explanation behind it but I have seen that many small fishes following this foam and also big fishes chasing them. Generally the foam created by breaking waves is white but you will find patches of dark yellow foam, particularly if you move a bit north where you fish. This time I will take some photographs of the same and post it….

Regards,

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ken,

I love fishing at night compared to a day. I have caught a lot of fish at night. The list includes Barras, Mangrove jacks, Ravas (only once), trevally, sweet lip, and grouper.

Spoonangler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

I am usually the inbetween guy. I have had my best fishing experiences at Day break. These would coincide with either an outgoing or incoming tide (would not make much difference) However, if there was that period where the tide would almost not change, I would rarely pick up anything. The full moon too would play some part where the water level would be at extremes. Unfortunately the right time, rarely conicides with my weekends :(

Yesterday was one of those days here in Dubai where the moon was full, the changing tide was @ daybreak & I was on my way to work. DAMN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:36 pm 
Enlightened

Guys could some 1 suggest couple of luers that can be used at night time in estuary's and when surf fishing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:01 pm 
Fishaholic

I have caught Barra's at night from the beach. They were not the biggest I caught but the experience was more thrilling. Fighting the fish at night in complete darkness, not knowing exactly where the fish is running makes it lot more challenging. I have also hooked a fish at night from a jetty down south of Ratnagiri that took my Rapala x Walk topwater lure in golden colour. The fish just went in one single run without stopping and cut me on the rocks.

Santosh