->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:36 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Bombay Fishing Update
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Fred,

Anything happening around Bombay at the usual hotspots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby , Bon Fiest ,

No mate and to be honest ive not been fishing around Mumbai for the last 4-5 years as you waste a lot of time and energy trying to get that elusive fish and all you get back home from the wifey are those stares when you have no fish -- she thinks youve been out with the two pieces or downing the beers at Yacht restaurant . So I have been sticking to fishing of the west coast at Harihareshwar - great for Rawas and Barramundi throughout the year - Shrivardhan -- great huge big groupers on live bait -- the guys dont touch anything else - Jaygarh bay -- caught a 52 llb Trevally there unfortunately no camera as ran out of batteries and the place is in the middle of the jungle - Devgarh , just 50 kms from te VJdurg lodge is the perfect place all the year round for Barrmundi as it is a secluded bay and you can fish in perfect calm - but here you need to fish live bait mainly - large tiger shrimp or mullet rigged up with a single hook through the dorsal fin and the last great place - Vengurla Rocks -- great Giant Trevally that ive never been able to land

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
or downing the beers at Yacht restaurant.

Not to forget the chilly beef and pao.

Now that was a blast from the past. Carry on discussing....

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hell man thats the only thiing we could afford , it was called Sukha mutton but i swaer you could see the bulls horns in the plate .. and the Khemma pao was to die for on a rainy day after getting wet fishing with worms folowed by the pani kum chai Rusty ,,, those were the days .. no races in the jungle too Huh ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
no races in the jungle too Huh ??

We had our own ideas about what constituted fitness. Early Sunday mornings the building boys and girls would walk from Bandstand to the bakery opposite Yacht, buy freshly baked pao and a 100 gram packet of Amul butter and sandwich the entire slab of butter in the hot pao. Heaven! Thankfully this did not happen more than once a month. If only Shalimar opened a bit early....then again, none of us had the sort of dosh to buy ham and salami.

Chilly beef, kheema, pao and beer almost became a Sunday afternoon tradition. So much so that my old man would have it packed and take it home.

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:30 am 
Fishaholic

Yatch, I remember the last time being there, Barry (Chaka) was showing naked pictures of himself to all... [smilie=crying.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the update man, last time I was down I went over to Bandstand for old times sake, landed on small Mangrove Jack..

I do catch a lot of fish off Carter Road, but it is very difficult to land anything large there as the Bigger Rock Cods just dive down holes..gone up to a 8lb Mangrove Jack there.

I have heard about the GT’s off Vengurla and everyone I have spoken too tell me the same thing, never fished there though.

I normally fish all the other places you have mentioned, have been doing that for the last 15 years, I know how amazing they are, have even caught Bream (Paloo) on lures there but I just kept quite about it after people got to know about one of my favourite haunts near Murud and screwd up the fishing there. I do trolling (Blue water) out of Murud, Shirvardan and Devgad.

What is interesting are the Groupers off Shrivardan (never done this), are they Groupers or Large Rock Cod, I will post an image of a fish we caught off Gateway of India a few years ago with Live bait, it’s a large Rock Cod not a Grouper.

If I fish in Bombay, I fish off the Naval Jetty (Large Stinky Barramundi) or the Colaba Light House, amazing fishing off the Lighthouse, GT’s, Ravas the works..I have also made a couple of deep sea trolling trips from Bandra, the first one was amazing the second one was dead (the whole trip was screwd up anyway half of the guys had to cancel because of a death in the fly)

Anyway, news for you Ravas have been taken of Juhu this monsoon.

Post subject: Fish of Gateway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Same Fish
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Ravas in Juhu .... were they blind ??? or lost their GPRS .... maybe the reason is they cleared the Bhelwallas from the beach thats why??

Youre kidding me .. right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

No Fred, they have always been there..been getting caught in those nets the guys pull across, and pretty decent 6lb'ers as well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:03 pm 
Fishaholic

U know Bob u may be right bcoz I have always caught Rawas in that range on sandbars in Miramar in Goa and also at Vijay durg but they are different from the rawas we used to catch at bandstand or Madh Marve stretch ... they have longer tails and turn a funny black tint around their scales an hour or so after they are caught

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Freddy,

There are about 6 different species of Ravas, I think we get 3 types in India, including one like the Giant African Threadfin (that I have seen personally), and that I have been trying to get information of (where?) for such a long time.

Fred may be you have seen as well, but believe me when I say I have seen some of these fish in Bombay, about 6' in length and broader than an average human of the same height, I am not exaggerating one bit. They must be some of the toughest fighting fish that swim, you know what a 10lb ravas can do..

Largest ones that I have seen caught on lures were 26 – 26.5 lb’ers by my bro, in two consecutive years in Mhad..the steaks from this fish went our of your average dinner plate. I have pictures of them somewhere..

Last edited by Bobby on Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: fishing in BBay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:32 am 
Enlightened

Hi guys
I have been fishing off a place before madh island the rocks off the church .. caught some snapper and grouper on lures .. the place was pretty famous of the Ravas .. but recently I havent seen any action. With a stroke of luck I have been camping in Goa on work for sometimes and had some amazing luck with fishing here in the south .. lots of treveille and snapper, waiting for the weather to clear and hits some thread fin.
cheers
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dean

Wellcome to the forum

I too was a regular at Madh with Bobby ... and the rest of the gang of anglers ... No thread fin anymore around thise areas .. just Barra and grouper but few and far in between

Post subject: bombay fishing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:39 pm 
Enlightened

yes u right about the madh going dry, thou it seen some days of great action. was looking for a spots, are they any good spots left in around mumbai ... with consistent action.?
Anyway now since I will be camping in Goa for sometime would enjoy some cleaner waters and variety of game .. meeting up with Bops this weekend so lets hope the Goa waters offer some action. will post some pics later
cheers
Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:11 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Dean/Fred,

What you guys are referring to as Grouper are not grouper but cod, Rock Cods.

Anyway, here is a 26lb Mhad Ravas for you guys:

Last edited by Bobby on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby,
Is this one any relation of the estuary fish "Bahmin" talked about in the Victorian angling books ?

Last edited by Owen on Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Not a relation, it is the same fish.

Owen, I dont have blue feet :lol: (no thanks for the re-christining).

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Bobby"]Hi Owen,

Not a relation, it is the same fish.

Owen, I dont have blue feet :lol: (no thanks for the re-christining).

Sorry mate Bobby! :cry: A genuine typo. correcting it.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

No worries Owen, I quite understood that :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Nice Salmon Bobby, they should start their run sometime now. Will keep you guys informed....

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks MM,

That's my brother lucky guy caught 2 of them in 2 consecutive years. I know of only one other guy who has landed a 26 ponder (which I did not see).

Both of the fish my bro caught were well weighed and documented. He is quite good at landing these guys. I will post a picture of the other one as soon as I scan it.

My largest is about 6lbs and I have not caught one of them in years.

Post subject: hello
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:56 pm 
Enlightened

Hello bobby,
would appreciate a call when you get in.26048633
have been trying to send you a PM but not going through for unknown reasons.
Godfrey