->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hi all,
This is venkatesan and a newbie to fishing. During Diwali i am going to my native near kanyakumari and thought of doing surf fishing. you guys can help me out in getting a good gear for that purpose. Let me know where i can buy in bangalore. Also suggest some tips on surf fishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:20 pm 

Hi i dont do much surfcasting here in Goa (nothing but catfish in the sand) but i do a lot of it in Portugal.
Since you will be trying to cast behind the break of the waves, distance is what you are looking for.
Go for a long rod 4,5m to 5,5m.
The strength of the rod depends on how much weight can you cast on it.
I think a 180g max is more than enough.
If you plan to hold the set in your hand all the time pay attention to the reel/rod wight combo, trust me after 4, 5 hours holding a 5m rod with a 1,5kg reel you will remember this.
I usually get a pvc tube 1m long and use it as a rod holder.

Hope this helps, and good luck

Post subject: Kanyakumari
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 am 
Enlightened

Venkatesan,
Do you know the beach in Kanyakumari where they take tourists for viewing sunsets. That's a great spot for most of the day till the tourists arrive to view the sunset. There's a lot of rough ground though and distance casting is only going to get you into more snags . You'll be fine fishing close to shore using any casting rod which can cast upto 3 oz and you dont neccasarily need a beachcaster. Hope this helps
Cheers
Wingz

Post subject: Gear
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:15 am 
Enlightened

Venkatesan,
If you plan to do a lot of surfcasting go with the Beachcasters DMartorell suggests with a 4-6 oz casting weight. The latest carbon rods are lightweight and around 13 or 14' 3 pc and though a wee bit expensive well worth it. With a biggish reel like a Daiwa Emcast Sport or Plus 6000... which holds about 300 yds of 25 pounds test you'll be fairly covered.
Good luck and happy fishing
Wingz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks to DMartorell and Wingz for ur suggestions. Can anyone tell where i can buy Daiwa surfcasting rod and real in Bangalore, or it has to be imported only.

Post subject: Daiwa
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:59 pm 
Enlightened

Venkatesan,
Unfortunately there isnt a Daiwa Dealer in India and you'd have to shop overseas. There are however other brands available and please check with Bops for options. Keep looking in the tackle section of the forum too and if you're lucky you'll find a good reel and rod.
Good Luck with your tackle
Cheers
Wingz