->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Kashid advice
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:49 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of heading down to Kashid this weekend and I thought I would do a bit of Shore Fishing while I am there. Do you have any suggestions for bait and rigs?

What might I catch in that area?

Thanks,

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:49 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bill,

It might be hard going at Kashid at the moment thanks to the monsoonal weather. I've not had any personal experience of conditions at this time of the year but i'm sure some of the other guys might be able to throw some light on whether its worth fishing.

When I passed Kashid last there were some nice barras jumping off the beach which was quite exciting to see but they didn't seem interested in getting caught!! :D

I imagine the way to go would be some smelly bait such as sardines, prawns and squid on small hooks to see what might be around. Maybe you could find a local estuary where you would get some shelter and calmer waters to fish. I'm sure if the water is couloured up there will be various species looking around for some tasty morsel. (avoid the estuary if too much fresh water is pushing out)

leger you baits hard on the bottom as the fish will have more diificulty than usual to find it if the water is coloured. a static bait will give you more chance.

look forward to hearing how you get on.

all the best, Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:04 am 
Fishaholic

Scott is correct, fishing at this time of the year is a bit of a hassle, but it can be fruitful given the varied species of fishes that can be taken.

Lures are out as water will be reddish-brown, strong wind and rough seas. The only way is with live/fresh bait, the problem with smelly bait is they tend to attract a lot of eels. So make sure your bait is very very fresh.

With prawns, the best ones are the Bananna Prawns, opaque ones (you get them live in the local market) they are locally called "white prawns", the common reddish white ones do not work that well.

Sardines may be a problem to get, but you can try mullet, you can get fresh mullet during the monsoons quite easily and they are the baitfish that are taken by barra etc normally.

Try crabs as well and mackerel presented well will work.

During this time of the year you can expect to catch a lot of catfish (on prawns) which can be a bit of a problem, stingray and small sharks are something you can expect.

But having said this, I have always caught the most variety of fish during the monsoons and it can be a wonderful experience.

Pick you rod wisely and beware of lightning

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Have any of you used the saltwater eel as bait? Do other eels touch this bait?

The last time I bait fished for snapper using sardine heads we were catching an eel every cast. Quite a pain getting them off the hook.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:29 am 

Thanks everybody for the advice. Unfortunately work has kept me from going on this trip. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 am 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:

The last time I bait fished for snapper using sardine heads we were catching an eel every cast. Quite a pain getting them off the hook.

Bops

I knew a guy called Amir Salman who used to arrive at Lands End Bandra at 0600 - 0700 hrs to fish, with a bottle of Vodka, by 0900 - 1000 hrs the bottle was finished as was Amir, but normally by then he used to manage to catch an eel which cut up into little bits for bait, cast them over and it was siesta time. By 1100 hours even he was perspiring pure vodka :lol:. He never managed to catch a fish with eel as far as my knowledge goes. Don’t know if it was the bait or the smell of vodka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:59 am 

EDITED. Please watch your language

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:04 am 

Bobby wrote:
IndianAngler wrote:

Bops

I knew a guy called Amir Salman who used to arrive at Lands End Bandra at 0600 - 0700 hrs to fish, with a bottle of Vodka, by 0900 - 1000 hrs the bottle was finished as was Amir, but normally by then he used to manage to catch an eel which cut up into little bits for bait, cast them over and it was siesta time. By 1100 hours even he was perspiring pure vodka :lol:. He never managed to catch a fish with eel as far as my knowledge goes. Don’t know if it was the bait or the smell of vodka.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:14 am 
Enlightened

What the local fishermen telling me is that when there used to be longlinefishing for sharks (10 years ago) they usually used eel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 am 
Fishaholic

I had similar problem when I was in harbor fishing. Ever cast would get me an eel and I thought it was a snake had to cut the line off. Sardines and squid both had same results.

Did you unhook them or had to cut the line off ? Their resemblance to snakes scares me !!

I thought surf may not have much eels as the harbors/jetty would, Looks like I am wrong in that guess.

IndianAngler wrote:

Bops