->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:13 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: how to use a plug
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:36 pm 
Enlightened

can anybody please tell me if we need to use weight attached to cast a plug? using it from the shore

[img][img]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9913/plug.th.jpg[/img][/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:48 pm 

Not a good idea gives too much line tangle, but iff you really need that ekstra casting distance, use a very stiff leader ( steel ) and but the lead at the end off the leader just before the plug, lead wire is the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Though everyone says 'no' and rightly so I differ a bit here. soemtimes you have to add weight to get the plug to go far or to sink a bit deeper. The trick lies in figuring out which is the best way.

Attaching lead to the line a foot or so ahead of the plug as Rapala advises is a good method but prone to entanglements. this happens as the lead sinks faster and when is pulls the plug down the line gets caught in the hooks.

Another good way is to take thin strips of lead and stick in onto the belly of the plug. This is a permanent way so add the lead slowly and keep checking the plugs balance in a tub.

Or you could get lead wire and wrap a bit around the trebles.

As I said earlier check the way the plug swims in a tub first and then start making the changes. Then keep checking the balance as you go along.

Will try and post some pics of modified plugs later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:38 am 
Fishaholic

I do not add weights because for me it is not worth the effort. In the past when plugs were not properly balanced for casting distance it would have helped, but now adding weights to plugs like the one you have posted in the picture there will cut short the casting distance.

The plug in your picture has a magnet where the front hook is, acting as
1) Center of Gravity
2) To attract the floating bearing in the lure

When you cast the bearing detaches from the magnet and transfers the weight to the end of the lure so that the tail of the lure will always be ahead and land first. This ensures that the lure flies through the air (without wobble) straight as an arrow and smoothly giving you good distance. When it hits the water the bearing is pulled back to the magnet and sticks to it, transferring its weight to the center of the lure offering excellent balance in water.

My advice would be to buy the right plugs.

Weights would help if you want to improve your lures diving ability and go deeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

I agree with Bobby.
Thinner the line longer the cast.
Adding weights to the plug will certainly change the movement of the plug.
Ideal would be to buy heavier plugs
Ravi