->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:01 pm 

Hi everyone,
I am new to fishing. I have little experience in fishing (I have totally caught some 40 fishes in a pond near my home). This saturday, I tried my luck with shore fishing. I have no experience in sea fishing. I went to a place called Rameshwaram (in Tamil Nadu). There is a beach called Ariyaman Beach. I waded to waist deep water and I cast my line there with prawn as bait. But to my bad luck, I was not able to catch a single fish. I tried for almost 4 hours but returned empty handed. I could see fishes jumping out of the water but none took my bait except for one time when the prawn I cast was taken before I could realise.
Can you help me with my fishing as I am deeply interested in it.
Regards
Vivek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vvek,

I have fished Rameshwaram. You need to hire a traditional boat from the north of the temple beach and go out abt 1 km. There is good fish there. If you are based in Rameshwaram , you can try Tondi whch is 100 km north of Rameswaram . This is a great destination for barramundi between october to january.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Wow! I always wanted to fish in Rameshwaram.

Vivek Peter, Can you tell what time you were fishing?

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Also what kind of rig you were using would help in terms of figuring out what is the reason also is the beach flat or it has gradation in terms of depth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:23 pm 

lure_fisherman wrote:
Wow! I always wanted to fish in Rameshwaram.

Vivek Peter, Can you tell what time you were fishing?

Maruthu

I cast my line in the afternoon in Ariyaman Beach. I knew it was an odd time but I still gave it a try.
Moreover I have got a local fisherman friend there with whom you can hire a boat. I can give you his number if you want.
Also, I saw another fisherman land a big fish (I dont know the name of the fish) at 7.00AM in the morning from the Pamban Bridge. He was using a murral fish (Tamil Name - not the Murrel) as bait.
I talked with him and he said we can get pretty big fish while angling from the Railway Bridge. I am planning to go there this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:46 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vivek,

Always try to hit the water in the early morning or after 3pm. This is just a trial and error method of identifying fish feeding time.

My father was a professional fisherman. He had enough of experience in fishing.

He lived in Rameshwaram for couple of years for fishing. He told rameshwaram is an excellent fish resource area. Please never give up.

I may join you sometime in the month of MAY. Please do all R&D about the places Dear Vivek.

Salmon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:10 pm 

rajatmukherje wrote:
Also what kind of rig you were using would help in terms of figuring out what is the reason also is the beach flat or it has gradation in terms of depth?

Hi

I used an Abu Garcia Bruiser Combo Rod. I used leader with weights for casting. I am not sure about the specifics of the line and all.. :?

Vivek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:12 pm 

rajatmukherje wrote:

Also the beach was flat.. not even a single wave. The water was crystal clear and I waded about half a kilometer into the sea just to gauge the depth. The max depth was about 6 feet (that was how far I went). But the watwer was crystal clear there also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm 

salmonmani wrote:
Hi Vivek,

Always try to hit the water in the early morning or after 3pm. This is just a trial and error method of identifying fish feeding time.

My father was a professional fisherman. He had enough of experience in fishing.

He lived in Rameshwaram for couple of years for fishing. He told rameshwaram is an excellent fish resource area. Please never give up.

I may join you sometime in the month of MAY. Please do all R&D about the places Dear Vivek.

Salmon

I ll try to do some research and get some details mani. Also thanks for the support. You may gladly join me.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vivek,

Time of the day is important, dawn and dusk seem to be most productive, however you can take fishes throughout the day. You also need to pay attention to tides and tide turns. By this I mean the incoming tide and out going tide. Sometimes fish will feed on/after the turns, for e.g. if there is nothing happening on the incoming tide, you wait and as soon as the tide turns they start to bite on the outgoing.

You also need to pay attention to the Moon and the level of the tide, fish tend to be more active as far as feeding goes towards the Spring Tides. As far as the moon goes, in most places (India included), it is simplistic, the moon phases and tides are in synchronous, you will note that as the moon gets “full” or we move towards the “no moon” the tides get higher. You will find that fishing tends to get better towards these periods (few days before the full moon and a couple of days after and the same applies to the “no moon” days). It is a matter of personal preference between anglers as to which period is better the full or the no moon. This I guess is dictated by what they have experienced over their angling lifetime. I prefer the full moon, but a lot of my angling buddies who have been around as long as I have prefer the no moon.

You have described that you fish on a flat sandy beach, try to look for places where there is some unevenness in the flats when the tide is out and cast your baits in and around that area. You will also be tempted to fish where the water tends to be “smooth” not breaking and surfing, instead you should do just the opposite. If possible look for an area that "surfs" and cast your baits there. These are just tips what you eventually teach yourself through trial and error will be invaluable.

Hope this helps.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:17 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Hope this site will give you an idea about tide timings. I was advised by one of my fishing friends to hit the water + or - 2hrs of the high tide.

http://www.myforecast.com/bin/tide.m?ci ... onID=T1306

Give a try and let us know the feedback.

Salmonmani