->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:23 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:04 pm 
Enlightened

hi guys

Wanted to share with you guys the threadfin Toji and myself were able to land last 3 visits to our favorite spot in cochin, special thanks to our fellow indian angler member Kevin Paul who very genorously shared with me the joy of using the silver spoon by sending us two from his personal collection, have to say they were an instant hit with the fish here, couldn't beleive it myself either, the fish just couldn't resist them, so who ever started that thread death of the silver spoon, i had no idea what they were talking about then, but have to say this, here in cochin i think the silver spoon has just been born, to say the least all the halco spoons at the only tackle shop in cochin have been sold out after lying there with no buyers for nearly 3 years.

[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/728/image033fz6.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image033fz6.jpg/1/w800.png]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/108/image3336gb3.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image3336gb3.jpg/1/w800.png]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4919/image3344aa0.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image3344aa0.jpg/1/w828.png]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1012/image3347xm9.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image3347xm9.jpg/1/w1000.png]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/662/image3352sm0.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image3352sm0.jpg/1/w1000.png]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4655/image3366rz8.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image3366rz8.jpg/1/w803.png]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3347/image3367tl3.jpg]
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/image3367tl3.jpg/1/w875.png]

Post subject: pictures
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:14 pm 
Enlightened

sorry guys the pictures had to be resized will add them later

Post subject: pics
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:48 pm 
Enlightened

pics had to be taken after getting home, got too dark for any good photos on site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Wow....
nice catch...
and im sure you are having a blast out there....
what are you doing guys???
im sure you are making lots of people hand itch on this forum....
its a wonderful time for all those people who used to talk and talk about ravas....
and here is a chance to catch a few and bring back the old memories....
what are you waiting for???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

Too Gud....U guys are rocking :D :shock:

Keep it coming....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

Great show guys.

this thread is going to make a few people I know cry. [smilie=cwl.gif] [smilie=cwl.gif] :shock: :? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Good one Vincent. Thats a pretty good ctach you have there. Just a note though. Try and avoid taking pictures of landed fish on a GAFF it looks a bit gruesome :cry: . They look better in your hands.

Once again thanks for the report.

DeZZ

Post subject: fantastic catch
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:44 pm 
Enlightened

fantastic fishing vincent!!!!

i feel sorry couldn't meet up with you when i was in Cochin
too many logistical issues, did venture out one evening to vypeen for an hour 1 eel and a catfish, but i am definitely gonna look you up in the summer when i am there, so save some for me:):)

cheers :D :D :D

[URL=http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0643dl7.jpg][IMG]http://img207.imageshack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:58 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:29 pm 
Fishaholic

wow
congrats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:15 am 
Fishaholic

Hey you guys are having a good time there man.. Congrats :-)
How far are you able to cast your spoon from the shore?
How near do the fish strike your spoons..

Cheers,
Binu

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 am 
Enlightened

Point taken DeZZ regarding the gaff, will keep it out of the pictures next time, I agree does look ugly on a photo

And Hi Binu

When we started I was Using the 40 gm spoons sent to me by Kevin, and I tell you they were casting further than any of the lures I was using till then, but then I realised I had a few heavier Halco Twisters for the last 2 years that I did not know how to use till then and since the weather is a bit too windy I decided to use them instead 70 gm twisters and man do they really cast a mile like somebody said and yes sometimes the strikes come from pretty close about 30- 40 metres from the rocks I'd say and sometimes farther away.

Vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Vincent,

Congratulations once again. I pray that these Ravas, after feeling fed up by the onslaught of you guys will move away from there and decide to head towards the Mumbai shore. :twisted: and we will welcome them with open hands. :twisted: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject: ONE FOR THIS WEEK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:06 pm 
Enlightened

Hi guys

Here's one caught for this week on last saturday using a whole new home made silver spoon made by myself except for the split rings and hooks

cheers

vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

Once again, Congratulation. landing a fish on once self made spoon is real great.

Keep it up.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

great going mate....
once again congrates on such a fine catch....
can we have picture of spoon that you made....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Vincent,

Do you tie a note to your spoon saying "Big Fish Only" or something like "18 and above" :) You seem to be landing some good size fish there :) Post some pics of your home made spoon as well.

Tight line duh !

Regards - DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vincent,

Some fantastic fish...again. I noticed the yellow tinge on some of the Ravas the ones that were taken home. I presume that that yellow tinge or coat appeared after they were dead as the pictures of the ones that were freshly caught did not have the same. Please advise. A similar thing happened to the queenies that Fred caught, Fred told me that they developed a yellow coat after they died.

I have seen pictures of some African Threadfin that were alive with that yellow coat on and around the belly. The reason I want to know about the Ravas as they could be another species of Threadfin.

I had started the thread "Death of the Silver Spoon", Ravas love spoons, you can also try weighted aluminum pipe they love them too.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm 
Fishaholic

The appearance of yellow pigmentation on the skin of the Queen Fish was really intriguing. The way they changed color was really fascinating. Now this phenomenon can be attributed to many factors. I think, this pigmentation is caused by some kind of Alga Bloom. This rapid bloom can be attributed to exposure to sun light or air. The other factor could be some sort of hormonal disorder caused by cut off oxygen supply to the body. Only one expert can tell about it.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Hi Vincent,

Some fantastic fish...again. I noticed the yellow tinge on some of the Ravas the ones that were taken home. I presume that that yellow tinge or coat appeared after they were dead as the pictures of the ones that were freshly caught did not have the same. Please advise. A similar thing happened to the queenies that Fred caught, Fred told me that they developed a yellow coat after they died.

Bobby

hey Bobby
is that slime of fish you talking or is it colour of fish itself?
as it happend with a couple of fish i caught namely baracuda and bream and one more fish (i dont know its name).....
baracuda had yellow slime on to it, where as bream had grey color while / after they died...
i guess its slime of fish and it usually develops on the side on which it is kept...
and it usually appears on
vincent
can you please post pictures of spoon.....

Last edited by hozefaishaqali on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hose,

That is what I am trying to findout, see what Ali has written. I am trying to findout if those fish Vicent caught with the yellow tinge was on the fish i.e. its natural pigmentation or did it appear after (post morte) like in the case of Fred's queenies.

Bobby

Post subject: hi again guys
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:17 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Hozefa, Dezz, Bobby, Ali

Hope this photo explains itself, this is a photo of the same fish seen last taken about 3 hours later after lying on top of a hot stone surface till I was ready to go home, As you can see there is no yellow pigmentation in the 1st photo and that fish was alive then.
If you want my opinion regarding this, all fish have mucous on them and all fish have some kind of pigmentation and all living flesh has a normal appearance when alive which changes as soon as the blood stops flowing thru it, the pigmentation comes from the pigment cells in the skin which functions properly only when alive, have you guys seen the male blue gourami when mating, have you guys seen the colour of the live mahi mahi or dolphin fish and what happens once they die or when you see them in the market what colour are they they turn from flouro yellow/green to grey or shinning blue and the mucous also I'm guessing undergoes a colour change once the fish surface dries up or lies under the sun or on exposure to air giving it the sick yellow clolour, just my opinion all of this may not be true!

And Hozefa
I did not have photos of the spoon I made neither are they my design, I just copied them from the spoons Kevin sent me, I've caught one each on the last two spoons seen here.

DeZZ

The note usually says 'No Fooling Around here, I mean Business, And I'm no Pedophile' and the little ones usually get the message and stay away from my hooks

Cheers

Vincent

Post subject: Re: hi again guys
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

vincent wrote:
have you guys seen the colour of the live mahi mahi or dolphin fish and what happens once they die or when you see them in the market what colour are they they turn from flouro yellow/green to grey or shinning blue and the mucous also I'm guessing undergoes a colour change once the fish surface dries up or lies under the sun or on exposure to air giving it the sick yellow clolour, just my opinion all of this may not be true!
Vincent

I will check out further regarding this yellow colouring, I am quite intrigued, I cannot recall this happening to any of the Rawas I caught in the past. I am leaning more towards Ali’s theory. Anyway about the Mahi-Mahi changing colour after death, perhaps it will be of interest to some of you to note that if you cut a piece from a live Mahi Mahi that piece will still retain its brilliant colour even when the fish dies and and the main body of the fish turns grey (that piece will still retain its colour). With the Mahi-Mahi it appears to be some chemical that the fish releases at the time of death that causes the change…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:49 am 
Fishaholic

That Yellow Colouring had me a bit Confused too Bobby,maybe its because these fish frequent the estuary .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

Here's a picture of Giant Africian Thread fin that I had posted some time ago and that is why the yellow on Vince's fish put me in a Spin.

Post subject: gr8 Fish pal!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:46 pm 

Hi Vincent,
Amazing catch pal ;)

Jan I'd tried my luck at munambam with my travel rod for three hours without any luck.. :( I guess it was the lures that did me in.. I only had a lure given by my bro which he called cluster.. it's red nylon thread cluster with hooks in the end..

Pls share the lure shop details in cochin.. Pls also recommend best lures for shore fishing threadfins/ mullets.....thanks

Riyaz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm 
Enlightened

Heres a late post of a few days ago when I actually lost 2 fishes after playing them for a while and managed to land only these together with Toji

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:28 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Vincent,

Congratulations once again. I pray that these Ravas, after feeling fed up by the onslaught of you guys will move away from there and decide to head towards the Mumbai shore. :twisted: and we will welcome them with open hands. :twisted: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Ali.

you bet partner with all the band and baza :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: but guys you rock seriously making us in Mumbai turn with envy fantastic fishing keep going