->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Season First fish.....
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:12 pm 
Fishaholic

It was Thursday evening and weekend was starting……
Both my brother and I had already made a plan for Thursday evening and we were ready to head for the beach. In the evening got a call from one of my friend and I was informed of a small get together. Had to cancel plan for the evening and my brother left alone for fishing…..
At night he was back home with nothing except a few juveniles breams. We decided to go in morning and to try our luck with float fishing as we knew from last week experience that float fishing in morning will be very productive. From last one month we have decided that we will not target smaller fishes as we are now looking for some big action and wanted to experience what is called singing of the reel and bending of rod…
As I was trying to target breams and got to know that breams get attracted to green color I got myself beads of fluorescent green (one that shines in dark) and places it just above hook. At night we kept on watching updates of Bombay attacks and till early morning we were watching news. Tried to get up in morning but had no energy to go fishing so finally it was postponed till Friday evening. In the evening just after sunset we headed for beach as water was rising and it was very calm and clean. First look at the sea and we thought of a very good chance to hook something substantial. We started with casting cut bait … we were getting small bites and knew these were small breams…. As we were not interested in these juveniles we never tired hooking. Person next to me was catching loads of small breams and was very happy with his catch.
I took rod from my brother hand and started to cast…. First cast and I got a hook up, it was a small cat fish which was only a couple of inches long but that bugger was able to take the hook in its mouth…… hook was removed and fish was released back. Second cast got a small bream; I should say that I was desperate to catch anything at that time….. After a few cast bites stopped and there was no action…. We were thinking of leaving….. My brother suggested putting smaller hooks so that we can catch a few smaller ones but we decided not to do so….. In the mean time another cast and I started retrieving to make line tight.
I was retrieving when I felt a small tug and line became loose!!! A couple of round of handle and line was again tight
I thought it must be a crab so here I set the hook and the moment I pulled rod I felt as if it is stuck in rocks but this time I was lucky :-) :D :lol:
I started to feel pressure increasing on the rod so I removed anti reverse and with a flash reel started to scream (drag was set to max but I think its not working) ….. pull was so intense and I felt I had hooked a torpedo or something….. I had to use both my hands for holding the rod and reel was left open and it kept on rolling and rolling till finally my brother stopped it with his hand by that time I guess fish had taken 25-40 mts of line….when I again took reel in my hand line was free and I thought I lost the fish
Dammnnnnnnnnnnn I lost a big one…….. :? :( :( :( :x :x
So I started retrieving and again line was tight…… then I realized that fish is swimming towards me and coz of that line was loose……. :P 8) :lol: So immediately I was back in action…. I had to retrieve very fast to catch up with the fish speed…. Again one more run against me and reel started to scream….. this was a short run of 10mts but again I was holding rod with both my hands and my brother had to stop reel with his hands……
Everyone fishing near by saw this and they surrounded me giving their valuable advice to do this and that….. I should say till now I was not playing the fish but fish was playing with me…… :oops: :oops: :oops:
One more run towards me and I reeled in very fast I was worried as the fish was swimming towards the rocks and I didn’t wanted to loose this opportunity so I tried hard and this time I was successful in dictating the fish….. Now fish was only a couple of feet away I could see something big… A small run again and finally the fish was reeled in and landed……… took a deep breath and realized it was a barracuda of decent size….

My brother holding the fish

After hook was removed we realized that other hook was missing on the line….. line was cut cleanly like butter with hot knife and we were amazed with POWER and SPEED of the fish…. When the fish was cut open we found decent size fish inside its stomach and it was cut into two pieces as if it was cut with a knife…….. we only got the fish because hook was set in such a manner that hook was in between its teeth and fish was not able to get any line in its mouth.... we were using 20lb mono and i realized why its good to use a leader....

Over all it was a fight that I had dreamed off and I’m not going to forget it so soon….

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice show Mate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

You are lucky Hozefa, to land a barracuda without a leader :-)

cheers,
Binu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

binu wrote:
You are lucky Hozefa, to land a barracuda without a leader :-)

i was not so luck, one line with hook was cut by the mighty jaws :shock: :evil: :roll: :twisted:
what leader would you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice catch Hozefa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:38 am 
Fishaholic

Congratulations. 8)

I think guitar wire leader is the best. Check it for every use for corossion.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,
For leaders you can also use the normal metal leaders that you get at the tackle shops. It would have a snap swivel at one end and a normal swivel at the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

After waiting for almost 6 months got a flounder...
saw some nice action in water and tried plug but nothing worked......
saw decent size breams near to shore but they will not take anything and im wondering how to get them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:16 pm 
Fishaholic

great going mate........

saiki