->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: The King Comes Calling
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

Had a decent day fishing at the breakwaters in Dubai over the weekend.

Using my regular spinning gear...... 4lb - 12lb rod, 10lb line & 4000 series reel, I got a take on a rapala. I didnt have a clue where my line dissappeared from the front of me.......I turned to the right & saw a king jump @ 1 meter out of the water, but this was @ 40meters to my right. I was fishing straight ahead & not on the right...I just went WOW, as I was too busy trying to land the fish that was on my line.

It was still a bit dark & my reel was singing a very sweet tune :lol: & I tried to make sure that there was some tension on the line. I gave a good strike & now I was sure I had hooked a decent one.

I then realised that it was my line that had actually moved to the right in a flash.

The next run that the king made was towards me & I reeled him in quickly & soon landed him.

The king was landed in 7 enjoyable mins.

Bottom fishing all through the morning provided no results at all.....this could only mean that there were big fish in the area.
The Divers (snocklers) were a bloody pain in the A** & kept on swimming all over the place while we were baitcasting & spinning....... The did catch a few small barras, orange spot trevally & a queen (biggest fish being a 14 - 16 inch barracuda). Not to forget the 'N' number of little juvenile fish that were slaughtered by them.

Later on, I went back to my rapala (a different one) & on my very first cast landed a barracuda @ 2feet long..... I was pleased cos everyone else was catching little ones.
I caught 4 more in a short while & but now I was bored & let the last barra loose on the line & then handed the rod over to a friend to feel the fish.

I called it a day shortly afterwards & had a catch of 1 king measuring (34inch - I always carry a measuring tape & leave my weighing scale at home for luck) & 5 barracudas all over 2 feet in length.

The rapala that took the hit from the king had 2 deep gashes. I can only imagine the ferocity with which the kings strike.

AMEN !

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Great fish mate.

And that little one in the last picture. Now that's a real beauty.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Super! Nice catch, Keyur.

The little one is a doll :-)

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Forget the fishes,

Your baby is a doll.

Congratulation.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Good fishing Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Nice fish and love that tiny doll!.This season looks good early up.

Happy Diwali,

Cheers,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:55 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi Keyur,

This season looks good early up.

Happy Diwali,

Cheers,

Jeen

Hi Jeen,

Happy Diwali to you & your family too.

I only decided to start the season early as we encountered a similar situation last year in Dubai where the pre season brought in a better catch than the inseason....... However there has been a lot of action in Ajman & thats how I got hooked up.

Dubai shows some promise this season & hopefully it wont dry out with the divers spearing even tiny little fish.

Last week a 4 ft long cobia was spotted in 3feet water off ajman beach. it returned @ 6 times in an hour, before moving out of the area. A friend took a pic of it with his mobile phone.

warm regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

Nice catch.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish Mr. K :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 am 
Enlightened

Keyur, graet catch! Congrats! :D

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:34 am 
Fishaholic

nice catch

congrats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Keyur,

Nice Catch and Sweet little one.

Hearty Congratulations!

Warm Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

This friday, 14th November was another day to remember......I was spooled out :(

Was using a heavy setup (medium heavy for some), 15 to 25lb rod, 30lb power pro & livebaiting with Ballyhoo.

I cast the live bait out, placed the rod in the rod holder & picked up spinning rod, was about to cast, when I got disracted by an onlooker & happened to turn around......my rod was U-shaped & my reel was screaming.....I place the spinning rod down, picked up the rod from the rod holder & struck. I had hooked him alright.....this I was sure, but he would not be stopped. I tightened the drag slightly, never the less, I was spooled out of 250+mtrs line in less than a minute & this giant would not be slowed down. I then heard the sound that anglers hate to hear.....Plink ! it was gone :cry:

Earlier that day, I had another hit on live bait, where my treble hook straightened out & my wire leader was a mangled mess when I retreived it. The leader just crumbled in my hands (literally)

I could only imagine the size of those monsters, but had not seen the size before. But this friday, I realised that there is no such thing as heavy tackle, especially when you are fishing in the sea. We catch some, we lose some. This is what makes fishing so interesting.

That same morning I had an aweful start with my car getting stuck in sand at 5am, I didnt expect much that day, but the 2 lost fish incidents surely made up with the thrill it gave me.

The spear fishermen got a 5ft long kingfish that morning, barely 20 mtrs from where I was fishing.....this was proof enough for me & good enough for me to realise what I am up against.

Like we always say....maybe next time or the time after that....I'll keep on coming back :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:31 am 
Fishaholic

Keyur,

These are 10 to15 kg king fish. Your takle is right.Just fish with a little extra initial drag. The king's first run is for a maximum of fifty Meters,if your drag is right, after which it stops and starts arcing towards the shore when you retrieve.Check your drag and start with an intial drag of 3 kg ( you can use your scale to set it )if you dont have ascale use a bag with 3 kgs of rice or sugar init.

Regards,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Jeen,

will do that. The mistake I made was to place the rod in the rod holder, so I couldnt keep the initial drag too tight. Will try this out this weekend.

Just wondering......I actually stopped carrying my scale, cos everytime I do, I dont catch any fish :lol:

Lets try it out & will keep you posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:19 am 
Fishaholic

It could be a large king but I think it was more likely a Large GT, Large GT's feed alongside kings. I may be wrong but having caught a few large kings, I think it is unlikely that a King would be capable of spooling you out of 250 mtrs of 30lb line. Even if you had set your drag 1/10th as you loose line it gets more difficult to pull line out because the diameter of the spool lessens and you loose leverage, and pulling that much of line through water requires tremendous power.

Anyway bottom line...no matter what you got spooled and what Jeen has suggested is good advice and like you said holding the rod will help :D

Post subject: HI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Nice pics Mate :wink: Keep going.