->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Dancing with the queen
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

I went to Ajman last weekend & was very dissappointed as no one was fishing for anything but kindfish & queenfish. I wasnt prepared with rigs, rod or lures so decided to go again this weekend.

Went there with Desmond & Noel & decided to leave early inorder to hit the water before sunrise. Left at 4am, reached ajman at 5:10am & after walking on rocks for 30mins we were finally there. People were already there, may spent the night camping & ready for the morning fiasco.

I rigged one rod and kept it ready for live bait which I intended to catch with the light tackle. However, after 45 mins, I couldnt catch even a single ballyhoo..... I gave up & decided to cast lures. I had some new silver shads & tried them out first. On the 3rd cast I had a shoal of 4 - 5 trevally's follow the lure & that got me a bit excited. Naaaaa not the big guys, but just @ 1.5 to 2 feet. At this point anyfish would be exciting.

By this time there might have been @ 30 - 4 anglers desperately trying to get a catch. Apart from one chap who managed to catch 1 ballywhoo & rig it up. This chap was a pain who couldnt throw straight & always managed to cast over 3 - 4 other lines. He would then shout careful! careful !

Anyway, I was getting a bit bored as I hadnt yet innaugrated my new fenwick rod (IM7, 6lb to 12lb) & then decided to try a rapala skitter popper which I picked up in Denmark. I managed to get it @ 50mtrs out on the first cast & after pausing for 2seconds after it hit the water, I decided on a fast retreive, 2 cranks of the reel handle & Wham ! A hard hit & an enormous splash sent my reel screaming. I had set the drag @ 6lb (I was using a 10lb line) so it was even more fun.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

Fish caught: Queen fish, 39inch long. (sorry didnt carry my weighing scale as I NEVER catch any fish when I carry it, but did carry my measuring tape)

Tackle used:
Rod: Fenwick HMXS, 2pc, 6 - 12lb
Reel: Daiwa Tierra
line: 10lb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Very nice catch! Good going Keyur, looks like the little one brought you luck :-)

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Thats a nice fish and a decent sized one too.
Am sure you would have had a very light drag since you were using a 10 lbs line. I can imagine the fight it would have given.
Nice going, keep going
Ravi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 pm 
Fishaholic

That is a nice Queenie Keyur, congrats...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish... :D

Keep up the good Job :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 am 
Fishaholic

Nice fish. Did you keep it ?
From what I hear the flesh is very good but only when it's super fresh and it's pretty lousy if it's not. Definatly one for the ceviche or sashimi if you can get it home fresh. Mmmmm

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:52 am 
Fishaholic

:wink: Nice Catch :wink:

Keep up the good work. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm 
Fishaholic

No Ken,

I didnt keep the fish.....for various reasons.....

1. Wife says "you catch fish, you clean fish, you cook fish, I eat fish"....didnt want to be a loser all the way....so I'm happy with just photos.

2. I have tasted smaller queens, but its a damn lousy fish to eat.....not even when its fresh. The meat is too tough & it has tendons all over.....feels like eating rubber.