->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:21 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Cochin - Threadfin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Enlightened

PICTURE OF 4.75 KG THREADFIN CAUGHT AT 7 AM ON A OUTGONG TIDE ON A 39 GM TOPWATER POPPER AT MUNAMBAM ESTUARY, 30 KM NORTH OF COCHIN, PICTURE TAKEN AFTER I GOT HOME ONLY

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/vincentthomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vincent,

Good fish. Been a long time since I saw one caught near cochin. Where you fishing from the shore or in a boat.
I also would like to know if there is a check dam between alwaye and Vypin Munumbam on the Alwaye river ( Periyar) I am talking about the the one that runs behingd UC college?

Regards,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice to know they are comming in. Wish we could say the same over here.
Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:05 am 
Enlightened

hi jeen

was fishing from shore, have caught two more today from the same spot,
will post pictures later
regarding the check dam, i'm not too sure, i have seen a temp sand bund that they used to build across the river at several places to prevent the saline water coming in, and i hear that they are still in place, you can see that from google earth also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:11 am 
Fishaholic

That is a nice fish Vincent, my guess about 5lbs? I heard stories about fishing for Threadfin in Cochin and how they come in huge shoals (Herds the the guy described it :lol: )

One of my favourite fish to catch.

Vincent when you post the pictures, paste the first link below the image from imageshack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish vincent. Now it is time to take the camera when you go there next time.

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:03 pm 
Enlightened

here are the pics from yesterday, this time caught in xraps 12cm
http://img518.imageshack.us/my.php?image=190408xx0.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:08 pm 
Enlightened

hi bobby i dont think there are shoals of any fish in cochin these days, going by the meagre catches seen with the commercial fishermen there, only thing most of them catch are the small variety of catfish and none of them have the slightest idea about lure fishing from shore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vincent,
Good show. Yes I have also seen the bund on google. I am making a house on the river bank at Aluva behind Uc college on the Periyar. Plan to have a boat there and was thinking of boating down to the Munambam area. The Bund makes that difficult I persume. Well, got to find a way around it.

Have you seen any Barramundi (Kalangi or Narimeen) in the markets there.
Bobby is right .About 30 years ago I have seen local fishermen on small canoes and palm stick rods with multiple hookups at the mouth of the back waters between Fort Cochin & vpeen ferry. You can see these guys hooting from their canoes, rods bend and Rawas air borne and from all around you can see other canoes paddling desperately to join the action.
I' ll be in cochin for 2 days May 25th and 26th.If you have the time may be Ican join you for a few casts. If you are free and its ok with you please Pm me your tel no.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 pm 

Hi Jeen/Vincent,
Most interested to read about fishing in Cochin area. My office used to overlook the Fort Cochin boat jetty and my bungalow was not far away overlooking the Chinese Fishing nets and I can confirm what Jeen says regarding local fisherman in small canoes with a piece of line attached to a palm frond which was dropped into the water and followed until the fish were tired enough to retrieve. They called these fish "Bahmeen" and were up to 5KGs and very good eating. My recollection from some 40 years ago is that this took place just before monsoon season, April/May.
I am planning my next visit for early 2009 and hope to do some sea fishing. Jeen, any news of the charter boat mentioned inearlier correspondence.
Kind Regards, Piscatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:29 pm 
Enlightened

hi guys

i have to agree with you, those guys with their canoes and their palm fronds (panamkayi) are still very much out there, and they are the only guys who still catch anything worthwhile when the going is good that is, not everyday though, the other day one of those guys and i know him personally went about tiring out a monster ray about 60 kg when they landed it on the docks, he spent about 4 hrs behind that one guy and it dragged him and his canoe all around the harbour. about the threadfin they call them vazhumeen not bahmeen out here and you're right they are very good eating. want to try out a spoon the next time, have had a few spoons which i bought when i was 10 years old that was about 30 years ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:43 am 
Enlightened

hi guys

here a picture of a 2 kg barra caught last sunday on a live prawn at midnight from a canal connecting two mangrove swamps near cochin at vypeen. and this sunday a few baby gts each around 1-1.5 kg from cochin harbour between 7.30-9.30 am and evening fishing 4.45 - 5.45 pm from munambam landed 2 threadfins again together weighing 7.5 kg

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00010di5.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 091ya0.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00012pe1.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 241yn7.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:02 am 
Enlightened

hi guys

the gts and the threadfins were all caught on the xrap 12 using a storm downrigger 9' rod (a bit Heavy for spinning) and a cheap chinese golden 4000 fx reel on 20 lb mono doubled at the end with a 25 lb triple fish flourocarbon leader

vincent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Vincent,

Hats off for making me believe again. With the amount of netting going on in the cochin waters what you are doing is unbelivable.

Regards,

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:23 am 
Fishaholic

good going mate...
keep them coming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 am 
Fishaholic

Interesting the Threadfin were caught using a downrigger. This is something I always wanted to do, because in Hong Kong they are always caught on the bottom. In Bombay we always catch them top water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Interesting the Threadfin were caught using a downrigger. This is something I always wanted to do, because in Hong Kong they are always caught on the bottom. In Bombay we always catch them top water.

Bobster ,,, I think what Vincent meant was he was using a downrigger rod to spin .... youve been drinking again in the morning ????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:47 am 
Fishaholic

Actually been off the sause for a bit...