[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 571: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 627: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1075: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Death of the Silver Spoon? - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:23 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

I was curious to know how many salt water anglers here still can honestly say they fish with silver spoons any more. I for one cannot remember when was the last time I cast one into the surf. With all these fancy lures available now I feel use of the spoon is dieing out. Similarly do the anglers in the north fishing rivers find that the Gold Spoon is being used sparingly?

Many old timers will tell you how effective the silver spoon is on Threadfin (Ravas), I still see Ravas on the market but catching one spinning in the surf is unheard of anymore. I appreciate that the environmental toll has played it’s part in this but could it be that the reason we are not hooking into any Ravas any more is because we do not use the silver spoon anymore of when we do, we do not do justice to how much we use it.

My brother who is perhaps a more accomplished angler than I am has a very different lure box composition, there are a lot of spoons among other fish type lures like plugs etc. He had gone fishing to Goa and taken one of my lure boxes, he washed and left his lures in the same box. This time when I was packing for my fishing trip, I opened that box and was pretty surprised to find so many spoons in the box. He narrates his experiences fishing when we chat over the phone and has several times told my how when fish had stopped taking Minno type lures he has switched to a silver or gold spoon and caught a load of fish.

Perhaps a lot of you guys still use silver spoons and I may be grasping at straws. I am not on the local Bombay angling circuit any more so I do not know. But it would be nice to get some response as to the use of silver spoons regularly.

It would be a sad day indeed if younger anglers who have never used spoons, never feel the need to do so some day, the pleasure casting the heavy ones and see them go a distance is something else. We should revive the art and not contribute to the death of the silver spoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

12 years ago when I first went to the dam the only thing we used were spinners. Silver, gold and other dressed ones. The bites used to be frantic and hard. Then the fish stopped hitting them and we shifted to spoons. Tobies, Lil Cleos, Krocs and other homemade stuff were like precious metal. Once again in a few seasons the bites slowed down. And we shifted to plugs. Now the bites have slowed down on them too.

Last week a friend went back to the lake after many moon. He is a total metal man. And carries around 3 tons of spoons and spinners. Never any plugs. After a few hours of drowning a Lil Cleo he switched to a Mepps and BANG!. He got 12 nice fish, all sizes, in the next two hours. Probably his best day at the dam till now.

Life comes a full circle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobster .. my tackle box always contains the "silver Spoon" - Daleys , Silver Tongues , Abu tobys and Halco Twisters , - Also have a couple of "pepsi's" , Aluminum Plugs and the good old wooden latnis - I make it a point to spin from the boat towards the shore /reef when trolling from the boat . Trolling can get boring at times - Have caught something or the other always . Species that take a spoon that I have caught are barracuda , Yellow tail Trevally , and sometimes grouper - While spinning with the latni's , or aluminium plug it has mostly been GT;s a couple of small queenfish and the occasional barramundi on the slow latni retrieve .

Not much spinning to be had nowadays specially in and around Bandra .. the rawas have disappeared altogether .

But i agreee fully with you . In the old days when fish were around nothing could beat the good old spinning from the shioreline . Pulling the spoon in the crest of a wave and watching the Rawas take the spoon in a burst of white

I still carry my sppons along and on the last trip to Harihareshwar with Santosh used a couple of spoons when the minnow type lures were not working too well ...

Brought back old memories of standing onthe rocks , at Bandstand with 8 - 10 anglers , bale arm open , waiting for the feed , and being the first to cast out when the feed took place -

Compared to today those memories are in one word - PRICELESS [smilie=upyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:34 pm 

Post subject: Still use them
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:56 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:50 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

Last edited by Bobby on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 pm 
Enlightened

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:02 am 
Fishaholic

Pictures of improvised Latni Lure... please excuse the bad picture quality.

Hooks are more expensive then the lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:31 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:05 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:58 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 pm 
Enlightened

Hy!

I often use silver spoon for pike fishing in austria.
It´s a really good lure, it often catches.

I think the biggest advantage of the silver spoon is
that they can very easily be castet.
I prevere the spoons with the "heavier" weight like 30 or 40 gramm.

They are so easily castet very far, so compared to for example a rapala magnum you can cast double distance.

This is maybee an important profit of the spoon especally for shore fishing.

I´looking forward to use silver spoons in the indean see.

Hope to meet up with some anglers from IA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:41 pm 

Its an intersting reading on the use of silver spoons as lures, let me add to my experience of fishing in fresh water bodies here in and around Hyderabad, almost every angler worth his salt uses locally available silver spoons, as mentioned in earlier posts it casts longest plus its the best lure one can use for cats in fresh water ( "pattans" as its called locally) besides we have caught Snake Heads using this lure, its cheap, freely available in two sizes (tea spoon size & table spoon size) and highly effective, I have used expensive imported spoons but let me admit the spinning momentum one gets with these local spoons are never achieved with these expensive fancy stuff.