->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 pm 
Fishaholic

I was curious to know how many salt water anglers here still can honestly say they fish with silver spoons any more. I for one cannot remember when was the last time I cast one into the surf. With all these fancy lures available now I feel use of the spoon is dieing out. Similarly do the anglers in the north fishing rivers find that the Gold Spoon is being used sparingly?

Many old timers will tell you how effective the silver spoon is on Threadfin (Ravas), I still see Ravas on the market but catching one spinning in the surf is unheard of anymore. I appreciate that the environmental toll has played it’s part in this but could it be that the reason we are not hooking into any Ravas any more is because we do not use the silver spoon anymore of when we do, we do not do justice to how much we use it.

My brother who is perhaps a more accomplished angler than I am has a very different lure box composition, there are a lot of spoons among other fish type lures like plugs etc. He had gone fishing to Goa and taken one of my lure boxes, he washed and left his lures in the same box. This time when I was packing for my fishing trip, I opened that box and was pretty surprised to find so many spoons in the box. He narrates his experiences fishing when we chat over the phone and has several times told my how when fish had stopped taking Minno type lures he has switched to a silver or gold spoon and caught a load of fish.

Perhaps a lot of you guys still use silver spoons and I may be grasping at straws. I am not on the local Bombay angling circuit any more so I do not know. But it would be nice to get some response as to the use of silver spoons regularly.

It would be a sad day indeed if younger anglers who have never used spoons, never feel the need to do so some day, the pleasure casting the heavy ones and see them go a distance is something else. We should revive the art and not contribute to the death of the silver spoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:25 pm 
Fishaholic

12 years ago when I first went to the dam the only thing we used were spinners. Silver, gold and other dressed ones. The bites used to be frantic and hard. Then the fish stopped hitting them and we shifted to spoons. Tobies, Lil Cleos, Krocs and other homemade stuff were like precious metal. Once again in a few seasons the bites slowed down. And we shifted to plugs. Now the bites have slowed down on them too.

Last week a friend went back to the lake after many moon. He is a total metal man. And carries around 3 tons of spoons and spinners. Never any plugs. After a few hours of drowning a Lil Cleo he switched to a Mepps and BANG!. He got 12 nice fish, all sizes, in the next two hours. Probably his best day at the dam till now.

Life comes a full circle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobster .. my tackle box always contains the "silver Spoon" - Daleys , Silver Tongues , Abu tobys and Halco Twisters , - Also have a couple of "pepsi's" , Aluminum Plugs and the good old wooden latnis - I make it a point to spin from the boat towards the shore /reef when trolling from the boat . Trolling can get boring at times - Have caught something or the other always . Species that take a spoon that I have caught are barracuda , Yellow tail Trevally , and sometimes grouper - While spinning with the latni's , or aluminium plug it has mostly been GT;s a couple of small queenfish and the occasional barramundi on the slow latni retrieve .

Not much spinning to be had nowadays specially in and around Bandra .. the rawas have disappeared altogether .

But i agreee fully with you . In the old days when fish were around nothing could beat the good old spinning from the shioreline . Pulling the spoon in the crest of a wave and watching the Rawas take the spoon in a burst of white

I still carry my sppons along and on the last trip to Harihareshwar with Santosh used a couple of spoons when the minnow type lures were not working too well ...

Brought back old memories of standing onthe rocks , at Bandstand with 8 - 10 anglers , bale arm open , waiting for the feed , and being the first to cast out when the feed took place -

Compared to today those memories are in one word - PRICELESS [smilie=upyeah.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:

Compared to today those memories are in one word - PRICELESS [smilie=upyeah.gif]

Right on buddy, pity we could not afford cameras then or we would have load of photos?

Did see the tuna action pictures I posted? Under Niels post? Tuna Action..

I carry silver spoons as well, but somehow cannot get myself to tie one on. On my last trip to Vengurla from the Jetty I saw what looked like Ravas feed. I cast a lure in there and it could not have been more perfect but there were no takers. Come to think of that, had it been a silver spoon, may be, just may be there would have been a take :cry: and I would have had that long awaited Ravas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

I have one silver spoon with which you can cast a mile, tried it last time in H'war and was surprised with the distance it covered... Vishal does lot of spoon fishing even now but not with much luck.

I am going to Mangalore next week. while returning thinking of fishing either at Karwar or Tarkarli. Anyone having contacts in Karwar for a Boat???

Fred, can you make it to Tarkarli for next weekend..(18th - 19th) ..? I will drive down from Mangalore and v'll come back to mumbai together..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

I have some metal lures like Castmasters, Hopkins and several other metal lures though I am a newbie (as you are aware). They may not be spoons, but metal lures.

Sometime back, I was throwing metals almost all the time from the surf without any sucess, but after I bought a couple of Hopkins lure with bucktail hooks the story was different. I fished the Hopkins metal only once and had a hit from a GT as well as a 4 foot Barracuda that was fat and colourful. I missed the hook up on both these fish but had a great exitement when the barracuda took the metal in the air like a rocket. Lost those metal lures in the next trip. One fell in the sand and burried somewhere. The other one snapped in the middle of a cast.

I will receive some more this weekend :-)

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

Coming to think of it metal has become a thing of the past in my tackle box. I used more metal in freshwater.... infact I still do. I guess with the saltwater fishing it's more surface fishing that I specalise in and since metal doesn't float I don't have any :wink: :lol:
Getting back to metal.... what I do have and on occasion have used very effectively are Raiders....125, 65g are deadly for blue fin trevally. I also use the Sniper 50g wedge made by the same company.
In a couple of months I'll be looking for those spoons as it'll be freshwater fishing then.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:34 pm 

This is a great read for me as I prefer to use spoons myself. Great to hear that they work (or used to work) on the surf.

Must try it out on my trip to Bandra this weekend .... 8)

Post subject: Still use them
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:56 am 

Metal spoons is my favourit up here in denmark, for pike & trout, but i use them in the andamans as well. i have caught trevally/. They are Garfish killers, use long thin spoons with a lot off bling, just remember to but a second treble in the first split ring, andaman garfish salways strike
in the first 1/3 off the lure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Kastmaster - Chrome

Hi Andersen,

Hows the fishing in Denmark at the moment ? I should be there on monday (20th April) for a month. I will be in Esbjerg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby/Guys,

I was out fishing today and it was flat calm. We saw schools of bonito feeding and had only our heavy rods. We landed some on jig.... but this was the day for spoons and there were none on board. Has some dorado strike popper but all managed to throw the hooks.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

What's a latni lure ?

thanks

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:20 am 
Fishaholic

Lathni lure, is what we used to fish with when we did not have the money to buy plugs.

Basically it was a lathni or (chapatti Rolling Pin) shaped piece wood, to be more accurate a cigar shaped piece of wood painted silver, wire through with trebles at either end. More advanced shapes later emerged where it began to look more like a gillie (as in gillie danda) and then later as it evolved further the balance of the gillie shifted so that one end had a longer taper. Some of us filled lead at one end for longer and better casts and casting balance.

We used to take barramundi with that lure, believe it or not on a very slow retrieve. Maybe Fred can post an image of these lures I do not have any with me in Honks..

Last edited by Bobby on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the reply, Bobby

It is really a innovative use of the latni :D

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:42 pm 
Enlightened

hey bobby

here is a spoon i bought when i was 10 years old and a mepps lure around the same time 30 years ago, you think they'll be any good trying out with the threadfins
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... zj4qh7.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:02 am 
Fishaholic

Pictures of improvised Latni Lure... please excuse the bad picture quality.

Hooks are more expensive then the lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:02 pm 
Fishaholic

lure_fisherman wrote:
I will receive some more this weekend :-)

Tried deadly dick metal from the surf couple of days back and had hard hits from Barracudas.
I usually change the hooks to VMC on all my lures, but had the hooks on the metal as such as they appeared to be quite different.

But the Cudas proved that these different looking kind of hooks were crap. The fish didn't hook up, but the hook got bent :x

Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

vincent wrote:
hey bobby

here is a spoon i bought when i was 10 years old and a mepps lure around the same time 30 years ago, you think they'll be any good trying out with the threadfins
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... zj4qh7.jpg

No mate they will most likely not work on threadfin, they like more streamlined spoons like the Toby. Poppers work too. Threadfin like a fast..ish retrieve. But having said that when they are really on the bite/feed they will take just about anything even a rag of cloth retrieved at a fast pace. Guys who handline with lures use a piece of lead where they tie a strip of rubber from a car tyre tube cut into a V at the end, paint it silver any use it, they have a lot of success with this lure. Or what we used to use was a aluminum tube of about 4 - 5 inches flatten it at the ends after filling 25% of it with lead and stuffing paper or styrofoam at one end. Fix trebles at either end and use on a very fast retrieve, deadly stuff for Threadfin. Fred can you post a picture of the Pepsi mate?

Tathataga, That Lathni looks like a weapon of war mate!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Tathataga, That Lathni looks like a weapon of war mate!! :lol:

Yup :D :D :D it was designed for total damage on Mandovi river (Goa). As usual NO STRIKES!!!! They are sold for 5 bucks without hooks. :D Someone please put pics of Pepsi lure.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:54 pm 

Here in SA east coast spoons are still used quiet a bit most popular i think S bend tin spoon alot of game fish are taken on spoon during the sardine run

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hay Bobby,

If you think that the spoon is extinct, you just come to Mumbai and I will take you to some rocks where all die hard anglers and locals alike assemble in hope of landing a fish or two. If you talk to every one on how to target Ravas, it is always Spoon and spoon only.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to join such type of gathering where some feeding was taking place and a frenzy of casting :twisted: :shock: . There were at least twenty anglers and locals fishing and the spoons and poppers were flying every where :!: :?: :shock: . My god, it was amazing to see so many persons targeting solo feeding and the frenzy on part of anglers was something to witness :lol: . Any way, to sooth your fears, at least 75% fishing that day, were using Silver Spoons.
Like others, I too was letting my popper fly in all and every direction and on every other cast, retrieving some plastic bag. I was lucky enough to induce one strike from a big Ravas (The only Ravas) but unfortunately no hook up. It was amazing to watch a monster of a fish literally jumping on your popper :shock: .

I witnessed some amazing casting skill that day from the locals with their fancy rods and spoons. Rajat was casting a popper and while casting his line broke and the Popper flew and fell a long distance away. One local guy, standing beside us, calmly casted his spoon on the popper, floating far away, and retrieved the popper in the first cast :shock: 8) . Amazing casting. :roll:

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:31 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the post Ali,

I trust this action was at Mhad...

Anyways, what I was getting at is affordability, a lot of these guys who fish locally do not have access to modern lures, be it availability of affordability. If they do have a couple of lures, they are like the crown jewels and kept in the box for display more than anything else, they will only use them out of desperation :lol: . Like you said and your mate were using poppers :lol: . Yes the spoon works really well on Ravas but I believe that poppers are better than silver spoons for Ravas, we used to make out own poppers out of alu pipe, described above in the thread.

But it is nice to see the silver spoon still in action and nicer to hear that there was some Ravas action. Time for those 40grams silver spoons to come out.

Were there any guys called Noel or Desmond out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:

No :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:

Dont know who you are referring to, but I'm supposed to be going fishing tomorrow with Noel & Desmond :lol:

I guess you would now have to describe those 2 that you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:05 am 
Fishaholic

silver spoons are like antique cars, they will never be extinct

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:58 am 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Bobby wrote:

Dont know who you are referring to, but I'm supposed to be going fishing tomorrow with Noel & Desmond :lol:

I guess you would now have to describe those 2 that you know.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Keyur, but I can tell neither of these guys are in Dubai.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:23 pm 
Enlightened

Hy!

I often use silver spoon for pike fishing in austria.
It´s a really good lure, it often catches.

I think the biggest advantage of the silver spoon is
that they can very easily be castet.
I prevere the spoons with the "heavier" weight like 30 or 40 gramm.

They are so easily castet very far, so compared to for example a rapala magnum you can cast double distance.

This is maybee an important profit of the spoon especally for shore fishing.

I´looking forward to use silver spoons in the indean see.

Hope to meet up with some anglers from IA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:41 pm 

Its an intersting reading on the use of silver spoons as lures, let me add to my experience of fishing in fresh water bodies here in and around Hyderabad, almost every angler worth his salt uses locally available silver spoons, as mentioned in earlier posts it casts longest plus its the best lure one can use for cats in fresh water ( "pattans" as its called locally) besides we have caught Snake Heads using this lure, its cheap, freely available in two sizes (tea spoon size & table spoon size) and highly effective, I have used expensive imported spoons but let me admit the spinning momentum one gets with these local spoons are never achieved with these expensive fancy stuff.