->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:29 pm 

Hey Guys,

I am going to be visiting Bombay this weekend and I was wondering if anybody has bothered to find out what the fishing is like on the rocky beaches of the Bandra coastline. I see fisherman coming in with fish all the time I look out the window near Bandstand and I keep thinking that there has to be some fish near the rocks.

Any information would be appreciated. Specially on the lures to be used.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 pm 
Fishaholic

got some worms of a local on carter road.; he had caught some small fish on lugworm - i think thats what they were - using a float. he was fishing near the beacon. i ve tried spinning from the rocks where the wall is to the south - no luck.

for fishing around bbay youre better of asking ali, rajat and santosh and ofcourse other residents. it seems that they have made some nice trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:13 pm 

Thanks V ... will have to see what the others have to say. My interest was sparked when I drove past the fishermen on my last trip. This time I plan to stop and ask them about the local fishing and see if I get any useful tips.

I don't plan to do much in terms of traveling too far as I am on work. Just want to check if there's anything around the Bandra shoreline and maybe around the reclamation area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Lots of fish over the coastline, you just need to approach them correctly. You may not land monsters but some very decent fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 pm 

Bobby wrote:
Lots of fish over the coastline, you just need to approach them correctly. You may not land monsters but some very decent fish.

Not a problem as I plan on carrying some light tackle ... have some old crawfish and crab lures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:22 pm 
Fishaholic

The only problem you will have is with Rock Cods, they readly take lures but true to their name head for holes in the rocks. Once in they are near impossible to dislodge. You can get these guys growing to very large sizes and they are a tough proposation in those rocks. You will need to fish with a minimum 12 lb line and a logked drag or prepare your self to loose a lot of lures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Nikhil,

I have tried spinning once near bandstand but only managed to catch some plastic bags & one diaper. Suggest you go to manori or madh... you might get something over there.

And as said by Bobby, spin with tight drag.
The water wont be very clear now , better if you carry shallow diving lures in red head & fire tiger colour.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:28 pm 

santosh wrote:
Hi Nikhil,

I have tried spinning once near bandstand but only managed to catch some plastic bags & one diaper. Suggest you go to manori or madh... you might get something over there.

Santosh

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... thanks for the tips on Madh & Manori. Not this time but will do it sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Please release small fish at least below 2 lbs..

I have taken 10 - 15 fish on an outing several times, please release fish. Rock Cods you can make an exception if you choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
please release fish. Rock Cods you can make an exception if you choose.

Why Bobby???? Looks like you have lost some of your favorite lures.. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

There is only one word to describe the number of lures I have “Obscene”, and yet is ticks me off when I loose one. I used to buy Lures, whole sale in the past and I like to fish light that that comes at a cost. However I have in recent years upped my line as I have lost a lot of fish namely Rock Cods and Large MJ’s to the rocks. Dont mind loosing lures to MJ's but not to Rock Cods and so I said what I did.

I have come to a point where I want to rid myself of those old Rapala’s so I can stock up on the new ones. It has not stopped me however from buying new Lures. This is one of my latest. Very lifelike and a very good action if handled correctly.

I have also posted some action off Bandra Carter Road here http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:57 am 
Fishaholic

Let's not start about collecting lures.They are only things I pick up from anywhere lures. The kind of flack I get from my wife because of this would make a daylight mission over Berlin look like a cake walk.

The good thing is that my daughter enjoys helping me sort them out. But even this comes with its share of problems. She wants to do it by colour while I like to sort them by the depth the swim at and size. So many afternoons are spent arguing and trying to find the middle path.

Which brings me to the question. I have a rule "you can use them, you can lose them but you can't take them home". Is this fair? or am I just being a selfish b******.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mk,

I do not get flack from the wife about collecting lures perhaps it is because they are stored away in cupboards and I do not play with them :twisted: . The problem is I forget what I have like on the last trip I wanted a particular size of deep divers so I bought a load of them. Used them lost few and on returning back found another load of them that I had already and they were considerably more than what I had bought.

Pasting this link again about some fishing off Carter Road Bandra http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1535

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:53 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="Bobby"]There is only one word to describe the number of lures I have “Obscene”,

Ditto here - need to get my head examined soon - thats what the wife says - my daughter --- well she says anything that makes Dad (me) happy makes her happy - Daughters rule - Whad say Mken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup Fred!

Daughters rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
There is only one word to describe the number of lures I have “Obscene”, and yet is ticks me off when I loose one.

As it is rightly said that "Lures catch more anglers than fish" we all in pursuit of having the best (or say magical) lure have brought much more than what is used.

X rap, storm. halco, yo-zuri, berkely, bomber .. I carry ..around 40-45 lures in various sizes & colour in my fanny bag when I am fishing from the rocks.

all my jointed x raps , rubber shads, bombers are now officially labeled as tourist lures as they always travel with me, but have never produce any hits.

The most fish I have caught is on a rapala red head 7 and figertiger 9...one of the cheapest lures I have... but they have more teeth marks than on all the lures I have… . Trust me, for the fear of losing the red head I use it as a last option if nothing is working.. and it has always produced a hit....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:15 pm 

Bobby wrote:

Pasting this link again about some fishing off Carter Road Bandra http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1535

Thanks Bobby .. where did you get a boat from in Bombay? What is the tackle you were using on there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:56 am 
Fishaholic

I got the boat organized through a friend of mine...not easy. We trolled Big Minnow/Bonito Type Lures - 8" +, and Jet Heads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:54 am 

Santosh,

I may head towards Madh on Sunday. Any tips on where and what to fish for would be appreciated. How is the fishing near The Retreat resort?

Thanks in advance ... 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:53 pm 

Ok ... having some fun with Google Earth!

This is the area I plan to check out over the weekend. The picture below has the Lands End at the bottom of the screen and on the left is the Bandstand Promenade. Just curious on what the Bombay guys have to comment on the fishing possibilities here.

I noticed the fort area at the bottom near the Lands End area and am curious to see if there's good fishing to be found here. Wondering if the new Sea Link bridge area might have some fish.

Comments from the Bombay lads??? 8) 8) 8)

Last edited by Nikhil on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:07 pm 

Nikhil wrote:
Santosh,

I may head towards Madh on Sunday. Any tips on where and what to fish for would be appreciated. How is the fishing near The Retreat resort?

Thanks in advance ... 8) 8) 8)

Took a look (from the sky 8) ) of the Madh area .... suggestions again on where to fish are welcome.

Zooming out a little more to get some more area covered ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Dam I love Google Earth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

I can even see my home there!! :lol:

Dont fish below the fort in Bandra because of disturbance from the bridge being build. Try the breaker behind Searock.

And Look behind before you cast every time on you would hook a couple making out, or a Enuch!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:27 pm 

Mahaseerken wrote:
Dam I love Google Earth

Amen to that ... 8)

Bobby, where do you live? I am going to be at Mt Pleasant Apt near Mehboob Studios ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Nikhil

As Bob says, fish the breakers at Bandstand. We are now in the Neap tides, and the sea will not be rough.

Some of the boulders of the breakers,have been washed away,so watch out when the tide is filling in.

Between the Fort and the Breakers is a rock jutting out, which faces Worli, try fishing there at high tide.

This rock, to anglers, is known as middle rock.

Best of luck!!

Syd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:06 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
all my jointed x raps , rubber shads, bombers are now officially labeled as tourist lures as they always travel with me, but have never produce any hits.

You didnt give away your passenger lures away????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Best of luck Nikhil!!!!! Do keep us updated on the trip fish or no fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:

Ditto.

Quote:
And Look behind before you cast every time on you would hook a couple making out, or a Enuch!!

Or a Paowalla having his feni with Duke's lemonade. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Quote:

Ditto.

Quote:

Or a Paowalla having his feni with Duke's lemonade. :mrgreen:

OR a certain guy called Amir Salman who used to finsh his bottle of Vodka by about 930hrs and then take a nap on the rocks between those bolders. Normally with a piece of moray eel on his hook which he used to almost always catch after his tiring ordeal spinning which included a good 10 or so casts. After 1030hrs he used to perspire Vodka. :lol: :lol:

Fred will remember Amir, he was the only Amir Salman in the Bombay phone directory.

I have my place off Carter Road, live in Hong Kong now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:43 am 

Tathagata wrote:
Best of luck Nikhil!!!!! Do keep us updated on the trip fish or no fish.

Thanks ... will definitely do that.

Rustam, Bobby .... hilarious :lol: Will keep my hooks off the sidewalk/promenade. Thanks Sydney for the help. Taking the morning flight to Bombay - will see when I get time to head to the water.

Will be going to Madh on Sunday afternoon. Hope to get some fishing done in the evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:27 pm 

Its been a few weeks since my trip and I wish I could say I caught some fish. Trip turned out to be a bit harsh on the senses as I was not ready for the crap that was to hit me when I hit the water.

On the day that I landed (Saturday) one boy drowned near Bandstand and things were just not right to try fishing so I skipped the idea. Decided to go towards Madh instead on Sunday.

Sunday started out great as I headed out to Madh Marve Road with the girlfriend to The Retreat where we stopped to have a lazy lunch till about 3:30 in the afternoon. Since I really had no idea where to fish I looked at the beach around Aksa Village. Most of the beach has no access from the road. Finally decided to go to the beach near the church. Parked right at the old church (built in 1545) and walked to the water. The church was cool and is dedicated to St Bartholomew - Prince of Mystics.

The beach though was a complete disaster. Probably picked a wrong spot. Plastic trash bags strewn all over with crap floating all over the place. Tried walking around to see if there was a chance to see any opening but really the place was filthy and I had no hope. Water was pitch black with filth and I even found carcasses of a dead dog and a cat : Can't say a whole lot more but I really left the place in shock at the sheer amount of filth and damage done to what was possibly a pristine beach. Still I tried doing a little fishing but really there were none.

Walking back to the car I came across one of the locals who had been fishing the Dana Pani beach with live bait. Tried to identify the fish but really could not. The guy told me he used jinga (prawns) left to rot in the sand. He gave me the name but I can't remember now.

Anybody know what fish this is?

Haven't given up on the prospect of doing some fishing the Bombay coast but the pollution was a real shock. I suspect the environmental impact of the nearby Manori Creek is responsible. Must try heading further north to Gorai next time. Maybe some of the locals will give me some tips on where the fish are.

Better luck next time 8) :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 pm 
Fishaholic

is that a white snapper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Well, you did try..... try going to harihareshwar maybe you will have better luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Looks like a Palo (bream)..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Nikhil, you should have walked further to the rocks that are on the right side from the church.... decent place to catch MJ, grouper & Ravas (when they are feeding). The rocks are slippery & proper footwear is a must. I have seen amazing ravas feeding at this place but that was way beyond casting distance.

Better luck next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh got it right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:06 am 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
try going to harihareshwar .

Ravas time :?: maybe a last trip before the rains.. :idea: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:36 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Ravas time :?: maybe a last trip before the rains.. :idea: :?

You bet friend.... I am dying for a good strike.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:14 pm 
Fishaholic

17th May..??? 3 days before full moon and the tide timings look near perfect... looks like a good time visit H'war (OR if time permits, a quick visit to Malvan [smilie=think.gif] )... Fred, your thoughts..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:05 pm 

santosh wrote:
Nikhil, you should have walked further to the rocks that are on the right side from the church.... decent place to catch MJ, grouper & Ravas (when they are feeding). The rocks are slippery & proper footwear is a must. I have seen amazing ravas feeding at this place but that was way beyond casting distance.

Better luck next time.

Man I almost went for that. Problem was that I had my lady with me and she was not really keen on walking on those rocks. Plus there were some piss drunk guys around there which got me a little cautious.

Will have to see next time ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:08 pm 
Fishaholic

good pics and good show mate

Santo well i remember when you lost your red head once and it floated back to you I swear this could happen to all my x raps which i have lost in past pal :( :(

Last edited by rajatmukherje on Fri May 02, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:09 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
17th May..??? 3 days before full moon and the tide timings look near perfect... looks like a good time visit H'war (OR if time permits, a quick visit to Malvan [smilie=think.gif] )... Fred, your thoughts..??

Game on!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
santosh wrote:

Game on!!!!!

hey guys i hope you are counting me in :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:26 am 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:

:D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
Santo well i remember when you lost your red head once and it floated back to you I swear this could happen to all my x raps which i have lost in past pal :( :(

Well Rajat that Red head is a Devine gift... :lol: you know how many fish that lure has caught.. no wonder I found it after 2 hrs and some 50 meters away... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:

100 % Partner.. 8)
But be prepared for;
Peak summer + two KM walk + carry your own supplies .... :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:20 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
rajatmukherje wrote:

100 % Partner.. 8)
But be prepared for;
Peak summer + two KM walk + carry your own supplies .... :twisted: :twisted:

you mean to say come prepared for the hell well i will be pal don't you worry :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:32 am 
Fishaholic

Come prepared for a good time in heaven.... we going somewhere else, and now you know where... :biggrin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

yes partner I know and loving the thought of it the summer seems little less harsh now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:12 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Come prepared for a good time in heaven.... we going somewhere else, and now you know where... :biggrin:

Playing secret secret :D :D