->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Beach and shore fishing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:16 pm 
Enlightened

Dear Members

I am going to try my hand at beach and shore fishing for the first time.
I have absolutely no knowledge so would appreciate all inputs, right from the basics. Just make sure you explain it, like you would to a four year old :D
I have a week or ten days before I hit the beaches, so all you salties hand me a line here. Every fish caught by any member's tips gets him ten free beers or his drink of choice.

Cheers & thanks :D
Phish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Ten beers, eh? I can taste those beers now.

Here goes. These will surely get you fish.

1. use hook with bait.
2. cast far into the sea. beyond breakers
3. don't break rod.
4. watch out for boats

best of luck. I will be waiting at the nearest pub. :):)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:06 pm 
Fishaholic

First and most obvious choice to make is lure or bait ?

For bait fishing, the mantra is "keep it simple".
Mono line of 20 - 30lb breaking strain a simple rig and either whole small fresh fish or strips of squid for bait is the way to go.
Forget all the clever rigs that you see online and go for a simple single dropper paternoster. Just form a big loop in the end of your line (at least big enough to step into and pull up to your waist) and tie a "four turn water knot". Trim off the tag of line and then cut the loop. Next, just tie a hook to one line and a lead to the other- start off with a 3 or 4oz lead and a 4/O hook and go from there.
If you need to address specific problems with the rig latter, you can incorperate running leads, wire traces, multiple droppers and all sorts of other stuff latter but the simple paternoster will get you fishing with minimum fuss and hardware.
It's so simple that I can tie the whole thing from scratch in under a minute.

With lures in the sea there's no special technique, just hard work and a bit of effort to work out where the fish are going to be. For night fishing, I'd be inclined to go with a few soft shads and some shallow diving minnow lures. In the daytime, add a few poppers and heavy spoons to the selection. If you have a braid mainline, use a mono or flourocarbon leader at night but make sure it's wire in the daytime. A strong clip that allows you to change lures (I use Breakaway Fastlink Clips) will complete your outfit.

Generally the best fishing will be at night but daytime is when you work out where to fish. If you're on a flat sandy beach, look for a feature that will hold fish. A bunch of rocks will be a fish magnet so cast as close as you dare. If you have a constant surf but there is one spot on the beach where the waves break latter than everywhere else, that's probably a deep gully and there will be fish there. If you have a little creek or river, no matter how small, fish will position themselves to intercept prawns and small fish that are flushed out of it when the tide is falling.
Of course, if you see birds feeding, get the rods out straight away. Small fish arn't naturally suicideal so it they're on the surface where the birds can get them, it's a good bet that there are big fish below them pushing them up.
Use you brain and you will find and catch fish.

I could of course suggest specific tactics for catfish but nobody, not even me, can drink that much beer !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:36 pm 
Enlightened

Thanks a lot Ken & Ken is it possible to get a visual of a paternoster rig you are talking about.
What is the scene with tides etc. high tide or low tide?
Tell me more please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Phish,

Here check out these sites. And do a youtube search.

For a paternoster rig and other sea rigs :

http://www.fishingbuddy.co.uk/sea_fishing_rigs.htm

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/traces(s).htm

For knots (you should brush up on a few)

http://www.marinews.com/Double-Centauri ... 121c3e1e91

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com

Hope this helps. And I am counting the beers

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Jeebak, this article below is a very good guide for reading the surf.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... ading+surf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:27 pm 
Fishaholic

The middle rig of these is the simple fixed paternoster. The only difference between mine and the rig drawn by the artist is the inclusion of a snap link.
This is handy because not only does it allow you to change the size of your lead, it also means that you can unclip the lead, hook the hook into a rod ring frame (never through the "eye" of the ring 'cause you'll damage it) and walk to another location without having 4oz of lead swinging about and damaging your gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks bops MS and Ken
the sites are very helpful and all the experience put into one paragraph is much appericiated......
its going to be very helpful for begineers like me....
one more thing that i want to know abt beach fishing is that that there are different techniques that are used for incoming and outgoing tides!!!!!!!??????????
how this techniques are differnt or is it that that the type of fish chnges for the incoming and outgoing tides???????????
also i saw that some people prefer incoming tides where as some prefer receding tides for fishing.
experts input will be very very helpful.
regards
hozefa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Ken,

Where to get 'Bomb' Leads? I tried many fishing tackle shops at Masjid bundar, Mumbai , but no one had a Bomb type lead. We get only barrel type with thru and thru hole.

Can you help me?

Regards,

Arun

Post subject: Shore Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Hozefa,

Saltwater fishing from shore could be tried both times, that is during incoming tide as well as during outgoing tide. Because at some locations fish feed during incoming tide whereas at some locations they feed when the tide is going out. Everything depends on the location characteristics where you are fishing.

The advice of experinced local people is very useful.

When you are casting from rocks when the tide is incoming, be very alert and come backwards in time, otherewise you would not be able to retreat back as the tide would prevent you from going backwards to safer place. This is because the rocks on which you walked earlier would submerge in water. This is very dangerous. So please make it a point to look at the level of water rising and ensurethat you would be able to go back on dry rocks.

Best Wishes for a good catch.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Arun, your best bet will probably be to import a mould in the size that you want and make your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:15 am 
Fishaholic

hey Mr arun

over here in Kuwait there are no rocky beds (as far as all the beaches i have visited) and beaches here are very very flat and sandy (same as Alibagh beach).................
so even after casting a good 50-to-100 feets in the water you are at a depth of 1mtr or less during low tide and abt 2-3mtrs during high tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what can be done abt that?????????? i know fishes are there as some ppl do catch a good 3to3.5 kg fish occationally...... give your views abt sandy flat beaches.........

Mr arun one more thing
over here in Kuwait we only get Bomb leads
these are very common and i have seen that type of lead in almost all the tackle shops i have visited.
but i wonder how it can be sent to india!!!!!!!!!!!
let me know if i can do something for u..............

regards
hozefa

Post subject: Shore Fishing.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken, Thanks for info. I shall get them from Goa when I visit there. One question. How to import Mould? and from Where?

Thanks & Regards,

Arun

Post subject: Beach & Shore Fishing.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi, Hozefa,

Click on the following site: -

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/ ... ading+surf

This site gives very valuable information and I am sure you would find it very useful. Try the spots suggested and share your experience with me.

Above site was originally suggested by Bops.

As regards Bomb Leads, thanks very much, but I do not know anyone who goes to Kuwait. :? In case There is someone visiting Kuwait, I shall inform you.

Thanks, Regards and Best of Fishing, :-)

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Lots available on fleabay.
It helps your searching if you already know that the main manufacturer of quality moulds in the US id Doit with and that the Americans spell mould as mold.

A very quick look throws up loads of hits but my results are assfected my ebay recognising that my server is UK based.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tackle-Traders ... idZ2QQtZkm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Many Thanks, Ken for the info.

Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:51 pm 
Fishaholic

arun
thanks for the information
though i had no hook ups but then i had lots of fun this friday.........
i went in the night and there were lots and lots of bites but i was not able to convert those.
i guess either that was because of small size of the fishes or i was using much bigger hooks.
hopefully i will be able to catch something soon :)
regards
hozefa.

Post subject: Beach and Shore Fishing.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hozefa,

What size hooks were you using? And what bait?

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Arun i was using size 10 last friday

yesterday i changed it to size 12 and i had a hook up and it was a small (hand palm) size sea bream.......
yesterday also there were lots of bites but then i was only able to convert one.
im not sure abt the timing of setting the hook coz the guy standing next to me caught 2decent size fish of 2pounds plus.....

i was doing bottom fishing same as given in the picture above and i kept the line in my hand to sense if fish has taken the bait or not and when there used to be a sort of nibbling then i used to pull the rod in order to set the hook............. but it was only one hook up...........
the guy next to me said that u wait for the fish to take ur bait and then let it run and then try to set the hook......
today also i will try to go and catch something.......
please put some expert view on to it.......
regards
hozefa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Try going up to a size 3/O or 4/0 and a sardine the size of your thumb or a similar sized chunk of squid.
Don't strike at the first tap (it'll often be crabs or small fish), wait until you feel a definate pull and then hit it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hozefa,

If the hook size you were using was as per scale of LIMERICK hooks, then the hooks were too small. If you use a Small shrimp (Prawn) as a bait, then use atleast 5, 6 or 7 size hooks (LIMERICK HOOK SCALE).

Follow Mr. Ken's advice if your bait is either Sardine, Mullet or Squid.

Better luck next time.

Regards,

Arun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken,

You have adviced Mr. Hozefa to use either Size 3/0 or 4/0 hooks. Are you refering the scale of LIMERICK hooks?

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

Arun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

hey mr ken and Mr arun

Where there is a single number quoted, the lower the stated number, the bigger the hook, so a size "20" will be so small that a matchstick will barely fit into the gape (the gap between the point and the shank) whereas with a size 2, the gape will be about 1cm. for bigger hooks, the sizing system changes and will be shown as "1/O", "2/O", "8/O" etc with the hook size getting bigger with the size of the number preceding the "/O".

Mr ken
this is a part of message that u had posted in Hook Sizes(bait, tackle and tactics).............
and i guess in the above post u reffered to the same sizing standards........(or should i say that what was described by u in the previous post was LIMERICK hooks only)

i will change it to the above said size...........
but then i have a doubt and that is the local people that i have interacted with (mostly Phillipines and bangladeshi)
even when im using a size 10 or 12 hook......they tell me that my hooks are too big!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!
please put some light on to it.......

regards
hozefa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

It all depends is the answer.
Hook sizes are very variable but generally, a 4/O will hold a decent size chunk of fish or squid.
As to your locals, it's common to have local people using small hooks on handlines because all they're after is a feed of fish for the family and they're fishinig close in with a handline. With a sport fishing outfit, it's nice to target decent sized fish at range and on the whole, in India, they are there to be caught.
Freshwater is an entirely different kettle of fish. lakes are often so overfished that your chances of connecting with anything of a size is minimal and the only option is to target the tidlers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 pm 
Fishaholic

mr ken
you are very right that they are after anything that they can get.
i had gone to a tackle shop on the weekend and was looking for different hooks.....
there i saw bait casting hooks and other stuff.....
are baitcasting hooks different from others!!!!!??????????
and how they are different.
i have already got a set of size 5 and 6.
regards
hozefa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,
My two cents.
I find a size 8 hook to be ideal for fishing for fish like rohu. Size 4 would be good for Catla. For mahseer its 4/0 to 8/0 for use with Ragi, and 6/0 for use with Chilwa.

For smaller hooks, i prefer a hook made from slightly thicker wire, as they give a better hook hold, and i have less fish pulling free of the hook.

Bait holder hooks have notches cut into the shank. I don't trust those hooks too much after seeing a couple of hooks break off at the shank.
P.S I use only wide gape hooks.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:32 pm 
Fishaholic

mr owen
does the same rule apply for both fresh water and salt water fishing........
and what are the advatages of using wide gap hooks.... yesterday i saw octopus hooks as well what are their significance!!!!!????
your 2cents will be help ful
thanks in advance
hozefa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:16 pm 
Fishaholic

I would say that your choice of hook and its size should be dependent on the species and size of the fish that you are targeting. The third factor is the type of bait that you are going to use.

I used to use Oshaunnesy pattern sea hooks for mahseer for a long time with sucess, but now i find myself using wide gape hooks with shorter shank.
As Ken says, the shorter shank hooks make for better presentation, and a wide gape hook does have the advantage of better hookups as the fish takes your bait and turns to flee.

Octopus pattern hooks are great all round hooks.
The hooks have a slightly inturned point which helps ensure a better hook up on the lip or corner of the mouth as the fish turns to flee.
I prefer an octopus hook with a slight offset point for use with livebait.

Circle hooks require you to gradually wind in before striking, to allow the hook to reach the corner of the mouth before you strike. An early strike with a circle hook will more than likely see the hook spring free of the fishes mouth.

Hope that helps
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Mr Owen and Mr Ken
from ur advice i guess as a newbei i should try Wide gape hooks.......
coz i guess round and circle hooks need more precision and practice.........
i will go ahead with wide gape hooks..............
any suggestions on the size that i should go for!!!!!!!!!!
im looking for sea breams (mostly) and whatever i can catch (as a newbei) in arabian gulf area........
right now im not bounded with the size coz im mostly catching the toddlers tat are no bigger than 6".......

regards
hozefa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

I think size 6 or 8 or 10 should be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks alot for the valuable suggestions......
and great pictures and report of ur trip....
will give u the feedback.
regards
hozefa