->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: How to Get Live Bait?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:26 pm 

Hi Friends!

Can someone tell me how I can get live bait here in Pondicherry? I usually walk down to the rocks and try to catch my own with a jig, but I have not been very successful with this approach.

Do you think the local fishermen would be willing to use their nets to catch some sardines and sell me a dozen? Or would this cause a problem of some sort?

-alann

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Alann, build a cheap minnow trap using galvanised mesh. You should be able to catch small baitfish and crayfish with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:54 am 
Fishaholic

Try getting yourself a castnet, they should be available locally and then learn how to throw/cast it. It should help you catch enough of baitfish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:00 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Alann,

Other option is to use a Sabiki rig.
You can catch baitfish on the bare Sabiki hooks. Tipping the hooks with a bit of shrimp or cut bait, will make it more effective.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... &noImage=0

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:17 am 
Fishaholic

if you are looking for net try local shops you will get a goood deal for money

Last edited by Tathagata on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Go talk to a local who has a cast net.
He'll sell you some fresh sardines or baby mullett but you can probably persude him to teach you how to throw a net of your own for a few bucks.
The nets are cheap enough if you buy one from the local chandler, learning should be a laugh, you get fresh bait when you want it, you go home with a new skill and your teacher gets a much needed cash injection and your net when you go home.
Everybody wins.

Post subject: Live Bait
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:51 pm 

All good ideas - thanks folks. The real problem is that this thread is in the SHORE fishing section. You see, I've basically only fished from the rocks here in Pondicherry, and I can't even imagine trying to throw a bait net from the rocks. The home-made jig I have is as close as I can get to a Sabiki jig, but still the sardines just leave it alone.

I have another idea. I made a float out of a kids toy cricket ball. My plan is to put a jig on and use this float, casting the whole mess way out onto the waves. The wave action should make a nice jigging motion. So I could just watch it bob up and down for a while, checking it now and then and particularly if it looks like something is on the line.

Oh, I have had good success catching what look like catfish here at the jetty in Pondicherry. I'm not at all interested in eating any of them, but the locals are happy to take them off my hands. It's a riot - nobody understands what I'm trying to say in English until I get ready to throw the fish back in the water. Then invariably someone speaks up, "Hey, hey, hey, I'll take it!" (only in Tamil) and then we all understand each other just great!

My other plan is to get onto a boat. I am making friends with the local fishermen, and there is one guy who speaks decent English. He is the other person in Pondicherry who has a fising pole, and twice now we have fished together. I think I'll get him to help me hail a boat and get off the shore. If that happens, you all will see a post or two from me in the BOAT fishing forum!

Can someone recommend an amount of rupees I should offer to pay one of these fishermen for an hour or two of their guide services? I'd like to offer them about half of what they would make in a normal day's fishing. Maybe the way to look at it is half of what the boat would make in a normal day's fishing. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:44 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Alann,
I feel a decent wage for the boatman would be to offer him the cost of fuel for each trip, and share your catch with him.
If you catch nothing offer him some extra cash to cover his other expenses and also as an incentive for the next trip.
I think Fred maybe able to give you a better opinion.
Syd