->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Andamans- shore fishing?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:11 pm 

I'm considering spending a couple of weeks on the islands sometime this month, subject to available sailings from Chennai, which I haven't establised yet.

Can anyone give me an idea of the available shore fishng? Also, apart from inside the marine parks, are there any restrictions at all?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Because most of the beaches on Havelock are fronted by coral and/or very shallow flats, beach fishing is a bit limited. There is a place down by No5 beach that has deeper water and a clean bottom where I fished at night and hooked up with what were probably a couple of large sharks and lost the tug-o-war.
There's the jetty which can be fished at night - a lot of GT's come in to feed under the lights.
There's deeper water straight off the front of the guest house owned by Qutub from the tourist information office that looks as if it will produce fish if you can avoid the coral.
The other place to fish would be No7 beach and particularly the laguna to the right of it. Maybe not a good spot in daytime but at twilight or at night, it could produce good fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:41 pm 

Thanks Ken

Apart from heavy gear, I also have light spinning gear with me, and a 6 weight fly rod. I'm always happy to hook up with a big fish, but equally at home landing smaller prey on light tackle.

Do the shallower beaches/ coral reefs give me a chance to cast a fly, will I be restricted at all?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Yep. There are GT's and bones in the flats but not many of them and they're REALLY hard to spot for sight casting.
I did hook and loose a good bone with a tiny soft plastic on the lure rod but struggled with the fly because of the wind.

There are a couple of creeks about and you might be able to get a local boat to take you up one of these in search of Barramindi, GT's and mangrove jacks on the fly or you can fish the open coast and go for the usual suspects.

I can give you some ideas on boats etc as well is you need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:32 am 

Thanks Ken

Exploring the creeks in a small boat sounds perfect!

Just now I'm struggling to find information regarding sailings from Chennai. I'm going to Chennai this afternoon so I should know if this is going to happen, within the next couple of days.

If it's OK with you, I'll send another message when the ship is confirmed; I'd certainly like some contacts re. hiring boats etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Why sail ?
It's just as expensive as the flight, it takes 4 days each way, the food is apparently terrible, the ship is reportedly full of roaches and the crew are a bit dodgy as well - I was told about an Israeli tourist who was stabbed to death by a crew member after an argument.
OK, so Israelis can be annoying but that's going a bit far......

I'll PM you the full message that the shore fishing info was taken from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken,

I am planning to go there in a couple of months for an explicit surf fishing trip (Preferably for GTs).
Thanks for the information you have provided in this thread. If you have more info about surf fishing in Andamans, please let me know too.

Thanks,
Maruthu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Ricco. I can't seem to PM you. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:07 pm 

I fished Andamans from the shore for the first time in March, previously I have fished twice on boats, but never on the shore. I brought lots of soft plastic lures with various styles of wieghted hooks and decided this would be the method I would use, no bait.

The only place I fished was Havelock beach 5. and I only foshed two spots.

First spot was infront of Wild Orchid resort, I fished this spot many times as I was staying at the resort. I didn't catch anything big, there were lots of long Tom, but they were hard to hook and more often than not ended up in me being bitten off. I caught lots of very small fish whilst wading around, weighing no more than a few hundred grams.

I was excited to see a school of bonefish, maybe 10 fish, all around 2lb, they were moving quickly and didn't hang around long, I cast to them a couple of times but they showed no interest. This was the only bonefish I saw during my trip.

The second spot I fished was opposite silver sands resort, this looked much more promising, this is where the reef meets the flats very close in, there is also deeper water close by to you right when you are on the flats. An easy spot for bigger fish to move in and there should be more food as the as the reef is much closer to where you fish.

I only had a chance to fish a couple of sessions, Two notable catches, first session my friend hooked and lost ( at is feet, it was already beaten) a queenfish of around 2lb, he had a great fight with it on light tackle.

Second session I caught a beautiful bluefin trevalley of around 4kg, I had a fantastic fight, it nearly spooled me on the first run!

I was bitten off a few times, some with rather large plastic lures and I suspect it could have been Baracuda. I caught lots of small grouper and various other small fish under 0.5kg.

I think this spot has great potential, i'll definatley investigate further on my next trip.

These flats would be fantastic to explore with a kayak, are there any Kayaks on the Island? Someone could make a great business with Kayak fishing. No breakdown worries, no fuel, and it doesn't damage the enviroment. The mangroves would also be great to explore by Kayak.

I hope I can find a kayak somewhere for my next trip!

Post subject: ha sip andaman kayak?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:27 pm 

hey ha sip . read with interest all the posts bout gt´s and the andaman from you all and was interested in your kayak search in havelock? find any? i will be going mid january for a couple of weeks from chennai, and i am gathering as much info as possible! shame that shorefishing is more difficult there as reef bound..

i am already excited about going, should be great!! already been in contact with maruthu and written to binu. hopefully we can meet up. where are you based?

regards tightlines
greg