->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:39 pm 

Hi and sorry for the late introduction everyone. It's only fair I introduce myself since I've been on here several months already and yous don't really know my background.

Started fishing when I was 9 (not seriously) in Saudi Arabia for sea bream with my father. Was one of the highlights of the week being in such alien surroundings and being foreign and all.. Still remember casting out a hand line - cowboy style - with a bit of prawn or squid, or feeling for clams with my feet and hoarding them in a bucket; treading my way to a wooden stand at low-tide and to return again once the tide receeded with loads of bream for the pot. We upgraded to beachcasting once I really got the hang of it.

The Gulf War brought us here to London where now I just do some carp fishing of a weekend, listening to buzzers and braving the weather. But I've realised now that fishing has so much to offer worldwide and my current state just doesn't cut the mustard. Since, I've returned to my motherland the Philippines to fish for grouper and sailfish on a pumpboat, experienced the fight of a mekong catfish in Thailand and fished for the mahseer on the Ramganga River in India. I can now brave the Indian midday sun (barely in April), take a moutain-cold bath without swearing and sleep on a choppy pump-boat overnight at sea.. Wild fishing is numero uno for me now.

My future trip will be in the Luzon/Philippines this coming December where I'm entering a tournament for sea bass and giant ludong! A real adventure.. can't wait!! :D

Glad to be amongst such enthusiasts.

Wish me Luck
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rich

That was nice introduction. Welcome to the forum and wish you luck on your next fishing trip.

Cheers
Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

All the best to you. Glad to know that someone is taking his fishing really seriously & actually enjoying it :lol:

Post subject: Welcome 2 the forum
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:49 pm 
Enlightened

Hey Rich welcome 2 the forum and good luck fishing.

Vinayak

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:45 pm 
Fishaholic

hi ya there mate,

welcome to the madness

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:27 am 
Fishaholic

OK, I give up. I don't know what a "giant ludong" is and nore does my friend Google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:42 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Rich,

Welcome to IA :D

Checked with fishbase for refernces to Ludong. It's from the mullet family.

http://www.fishbase.org/ComNames/Common ... chList.php
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Species ... hp?id=5659

Haven't caught a mullet on a rod. Was informed by many local fishermen that mullet are difficult to catch on hook (since they mostly eat moss).
But I have read of mullet being taken on a flies (nymphs).

So what gear/tactics, do you plan to use for Ludong ?

Wish you many screaming drags, and tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:22 am 

Yep it's goes by the name of lurong/ludong by locals and get this, is also ceremoniously titled "The President's Fish". The laughable reason being, only the president can afford it, selling for a whopping £40 a kilo! This is due to its rarity, distinct taste and aroma. Move over sashimi :o

It is a mullet but I also heard its spawning habits are just like salmon which is confusing.. I'm still awaiting feedback on the type of bait used so then I can start thinking of tackle. Really want to try out my new 9ft Powermesh Rod and practice my multiplier skills (bit shabby).

For the competition we would be catching weights of upto to 10kg normally and the possibility of a potential 100kg (work the maths :wink: )which have been caught and sighted. An official will also be present to work out a price on the fish once caught. All I know is that mullet are really tough to catch anywhere.. even a 10kg specimen would be totally outrageous. I'm getting excited just talking about it. :lol: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Rich,

welcome to the forum.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Rich,

Welcome to the madness !!!

Regards
Saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:51 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome and the very best of fishing and winning the 1st prize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:27 pm 

A belated thanks for the warm welcomes peeps. :D

Just an update on the ludong fishing. Here's a picture forwarded to me by one of the comp organizers there:

Now I'm really confused because it looks like some sort of Asian sturgeon or arapaima to me but with a longer snout (not a mullet). As I mentioned it spawns just like a salmon or Canadian sturgeon so it wouldn't be classified as freshwater/saltwater, and takes livebait. This specimen was reputed to be around 500lbs.. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:23 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Carpernicus

Been watching your exploits, specially the BKK one.Could ya please let me know about the angling locations in Thailand. I am planning to go there in December for a holiday.

All the best for your competition. All IA people will be cheering for ya I am sure.

Take care

Phish

PS where in Saudi where you fishing i was in a place called Wadi Jizan when i was kid, but unfortunately it was a sea of sand everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm 

Hi Phish, I was on the Gulf of Dhahran fishing for sea bream and bass. Ray and squid were also caught there too. What did you catch in Wadi Jizan?

Sea Fishing: The Andaman Islands, Ko Rok, Similan Islands, Ko Sameet, Phuket or you could always try Pattaya Beach lol..

Freshwater: Bangkok, Hat Yai, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, Phuket, Khao Laem Dam

These are just the general hotspots I've mentioned, but there are hundreds of venues all over mate, just depends what area and species you're targeting. Not too sure on the saltwater front.. as long as it's far from the mainland.

Here's a shot of me and a friend in the Gulf '90

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:56 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome to the form!!!