->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Hi all fellow anglers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:18 pm 
Enlightened

Hi all fellow anglers my name is Vinayak. I am form Panaji, Goa.

I was just browsing thru the net, to get information on angling and stumbled upon this site, seemed great and I joined up. I was awestruck looking at the pics posted by fellow anglers. I liked the pics posted by Keyur.

I wish to have good interaction with fellow anglers to help me improve my angling skills, since I am new to it and trying hard to catch some good fish.

I have been fishing for a year now, using a 70lbs test line, and a 7' spinning reel telescopic rod.

I use a size 2 hook and fish at the divar jetty in north goa
I only manage to catch cat fish weighing abt. 0.5 kg, where as the others manage to catch big fish namely tamaso (local name), i try hard but i think i have still not mastered the art of hooking, can u please help me.

Some times i get frustrated, when others manage to catch good fish, and i cannot.

I have asked my other angler collegues, but they say everything is fine, but yet i dont manage to catch fish as them.

Can u fellow anglers please tell me where i went wrong.

Bye all.... :-) :-)
Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vinayak,

Welcome to the IA.. nice intro, mate and i would be guessing you are a Salty :P ... Just hang in there and help will arrive..
We are here to answer your questions, so cast away :wink:

Post subject: Thanks buddy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:33 pm 
Enlightened

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Hi Vinayak,

Welcome to the IA.. nice intro, mate and i would be guessing you are a Salty :P ... Just hang in there and help will arrive..
We are here to answer your questions, so cast away :wink:

Thanks buddy, i appreciate that.
Have fun
Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Vinayak,

welcome to IA.. send dean a PM, ( he is in Panaji)... I am sure you'll soon be landing some big tamaso (sounds Japanese :lol: .. I guess that's a barramundi).

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi V,
Welcome to the site. Next time I'm in Goa, I'll track you down for a fenni and a chat!

Might help your problem if you post the same on the saltwater part of the forum. My guess, although I'm not a sea angler but I've caught plenty of those cats up the Nerul estuary, is that your line is way too heavy for that kind of gear. Also, your rod may not be up to the job of bottom fishing.
Perhaps you should get into a boat and do some spinning, you'll certainly avoid the cats then.
Otherwise, ask on the saltwater forum about the kind of gear you should be using.

Once you've posted a few times, send Ken L a PM, he does loads of sea fishing in Goa and catches all kinds of things, not just your usual GT, Barra's and Snappers.

Good luck,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:41 pm 
Fishaholic

welcome aboard mate :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:39 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum Vinayak, I agree with Steve, your gear is quite heavy, try and use light tackle first, that way you dont tire yourself and you will be less frustrated. The joy of angling is to enjoy what your doing even if you dont catch anything and learn from everything you do everytime. I dont think there is a stop to learning in Angling

Post subject: Tamasi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:57 pm 

I think what you're talking about is the Mangrove Jack or Tamoshi or Taam. Anyway, welcome to indianangler! I'm sure that 70lbs line and 7ft rod will be done away with pretty soon! Haha.

Post subject: Re: Tamasi
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:28 pm 
Enlightened

carlmichael wrote:
I think what you're talking about is the Mangrove Jack or Tamoshi or Taam. Anyway, welcome to indianangler! I'm sure that 70lbs line and 7ft rod will be done away with pretty soon! Haha.

Hey, thanks for the welcome mesg.
But i did not get why u said I'm sure that 70lbs line and 7ft rod will be done away with pretty soon! :? :?

My Angler collegues here use just about the same.

And yes its Tamoshi what i was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

70lb line is too thick to use for bait fishing, which is why Carl suggested that you do not continue to use it.

The fish can easily see 70lb line so it would be better if you switched to 20lb or something similar.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:04 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome. I might very well be in Goa next January. Drop me a line nearer the time and if you're still struggling, we'll arrange a meet up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:46 am 
Enlightened

IndianAngler wrote:
70lb line is too thick to use for bait fishing, which is why Carl suggested that you do not continue to use it.

The fish can easily see 70lb line so it would be better if you switched to 20lb or something similar.

Bopanna

Thanks Bop, I will take ur advise.

Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:49 am 
Enlightened

Ken L wrote:
Welcome. I might very well be in Goa next January. Drop me a line nearer the time and if you're still struggling, we'll arrange a meet up.

Thanks Ken L., i will surely drop a line.

Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:12 pm 
Enlightened

Aye up! (hello)

Back in the UK I used 18lb mono on my 12ft 4/6 oz beach rod.
I got snagged.
I couldn't break 18lb mono with the rod fully bent and locked!
It was like a giant elastic band.
I'm not a big or strong guy, 5'9'' 12 stone.But I'm no weakling either.
I had to point the rod down the line, hold the spool and walk backwards.
When the line snapped I was about 20feet from where I started walking.
It was like a pistol shot when the line finally broke.
And I fell on my backside, I felt very silly!

Good luck with it all my friend.

YB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:29 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Vinayak,

welcome to the forum. I'm sure there is lots to learn here & you can be sure that almost everyone here who gives advice knows what they are talking about.

Like everyone else said, your gear is too heavy. Try using a max of 30lb line. The lighter the line, the more chances you have of landing some fish or the other. Besides, I'm sure that you will enjoy your fishing much more as you will be able to feel the bites.
If you cant catch anything or not getting any bites, try changing the leader set up.
Try enjoying your fishing, without concentrating too much on the big ones....when the time is right, you will surely land one. It would be more fun to land a big one with light tackle & that will come with experience.

Dont feel backword to aks any questions no matter how silly they sound. Everyone here is very very helpful & wont let you down. If you take some time off & read the previous posts over the past year, there is lots to be learnt.

TC & have fun reading the posts & experimenting with your tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Yorkshire Boy wrote:
Aye up! (hello)

point the rod down the line, hold the spool and walk backwards.

YB.

Lesson no 1 ... when snagged .. handover rod to someone else ... stand closest to the water edge ... take up all the slack you can ... then holdingthe line tightly wrapped around your fist ... swivel like a ballet dancr and take up more slack around your body ...make sure line is not in touch with anything sharp like a belt buckle etc .... then with your back to the water .. start walking slowly with a slight bend in front one step at a time .. invariably the line WILL snap at the knot .... and whats more ... no falling on backside feeling // looking silly

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject: Thanks buddy
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:51 pm 
Enlightened

Keyur wrote:
HI Vinayak,

welcome to the forum. I'm sure there is lots to learn here & you can be sure that almost everyone here who gives advice knows what they are talking about.

Like everyone else said, your gear is too heavy. Try using a max of 30lb line. The lighter the line, the more chances you have of landing some fish or the other. Besides, I'm sure that you will enjoy your fishing much more as you will be able to feel the bites.
If you cant catch anything or not getting any bites, try changing the leader set up.
Try enjoying your fishing, without concentrating too much on the big ones....when the time is right, you will surely land one. It would be more fun to land a big one with light tackle & that will come with experience.

Dont feel backword to aks any questions no matter how silly they sound. Everyone here is very very helpful & wont let you down. If you take some time off & read the previous posts over the past year, there is lots to be learnt.

TC & have fun reading the posts & experimenting with your tackle.

Hey Keyur thanks for ur advise, i will surely try that.

Happy fishing buddy.
Bye and TC

Vinayak :-) :-)

Post subject: Thanks Santosh
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:30 pm 
Enlightened

santosh wrote:
Hey Vinayak,

welcome to IA.. send dean a PM, ( he is in Panaji)... I am sure you'll soon be landing some big tamaso (sounds Japanese :lol: .. I guess that's a barramundi).

Santosh

Hey Buddy thanks for the warm welcome, and i will surely contact dean, if i find him.

BTW how many fish have u caught lately, just curious.

If u have any inputs on angling, please pass on 2 me. :twisted: :twisted:

Bye & TC

Vinayak

Post subject: Thanks beemorein
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:32 pm 
Enlightened

beemorein wrote:
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks beemorein

Bye & TC
Vinayak

Post subject: Thanks derek
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:36 pm 
Enlightened

derek wrote:
Welcome to the forum Vinayak, I agree with Steve, your gear is quite heavy, try and use light tackle first, that way you dont tire yourself and you will be less frustrated. The joy of angling is to enjoy what your doing even if you dont catch anything and learn from everything you do everytime. I dont think there is a stop to learning in Angling

Thanks derek, I will try that.
If u have more valuable inputs for me, please post them. :-) :-)

Bye & TC
Vinayak

Post subject: Thanks mate
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:38 pm 
Enlightened

saikibryan wrote:
welcome aboard mate :-)

Hey saikibyran, thanks for the warm welcome, but i would also appreciate some valuable angling lessons from u. :D

Bye
Vinayak :D

Post subject: Hey Steve
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:42 pm 
Enlightened

Steve Lockett wrote:
Hi V,
Welcome to the site. Next time I'm in Goa, I'll track you down for a fenni and a chat!

Might help your problem if you post the same on the saltwater part of the forum. My guess, although I'm not a sea angler but I've caught plenty of those cats up the Nerul estuary, is that your line is way too heavy for that kind of gear. Also, your rod may not be up to the job of bottom fishing.
Perhaps you should get into a boat and do some spinning, you'll certainly avoid the cats then.
Otherwise, ask on the saltwater forum about the kind of gear you should be using.

Once you've posted a few times, send Ken L a PM, he does loads of sea fishing in Goa and catches all kinds of things, not just your usual GT, Barra's and Snappers.

Good luck,
Steve

Hey Steve, looking forward on ur next trip, catch u then.
Thanks for ur inputs.

Good luck and TC
Vinayak :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Vinayak, what fish are other anglers catching in your area? Do you fish during the monsoons also?

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:52 pm 

Hi Vinayak

Welcome to IA. From the above it looks like you are already getting some good tips so good luck with the fishing.
By the way was the 70lb line a braided line or monofilament?

Regards

Andypike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:02 am 
Enlightened

Fredfish wrote:
Yorkshire Boy wrote:
Aye up! (hello)

point the rod down the line, hold the spool and walk backwards.

YB.

Lesson no 1 ... when snagged .. handover rod to someone else ... stand closest to the water edge ... take up all the slack you can ... then holdingthe line tightly wrapped around your fist ... swivel like a ballet dancr and take up more slack around your body ...make sure line is not in touch with anything sharp like a belt buckle etc .... then with your back to the water .. start walking slowly with a slight bend in front one step at a time .. invariably the line WILL snap at the knot .... and whats more ... no falling on backside feeling // looking silly

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Good advice.

My brother in-law was on a rock to my right.
He left the operation to me.
He watched with some amusement!

He's smaller than me, about 5foot 7 1/5inch.
15 stone of muscle.
He can pick up a 100 litre barrel of water and walk with it 30 meters!

He's also a great fisherman and climber.
Scares the £hit out of me when he takes me down the cliffs.
He's like a goat.

I still out do him when lure fishing though :D

Post subject: Hey Bopanna
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:16 am 
Enlightened

IndianAngler wrote:
Vinayak, what fish are other anglers catching in your area? Do you fish during the monsoons also?

Bopanna

Hey Bops,
during monsoons most of the anglers, hang out at campal indoor stadium, abt. 3 kms from panaji, its the point where river mandovi joins the arabian sea. At this time most of them catch lady fish, its hardly abt. 9" long, and weighs abt. 250 gms. but good to eat. I hardly manage 2 catch in this area, coz the area is rocky & the sea is rough and the line drifts away, after casting inspite of using 70 gm of lead, and i am not able 2 feel the bites, may be coz i was using the wrong bait (sardines), the rest of them were using earthworms, and caught plenty of lady fish.
I also noticed that other anglers were using a size 5 hook, where as i was using size 2, pretty big hah.

Anyways this time i will go prepared, i am hoping 2 go on this sunday, if time permits.

Ok Bops, since u asked, these ar the fish caught by local anglers:
Tamoshi, Angel Fish, Chonak, Palu, Kilapia and ofcourse the pest catfish
These are local names i dont know the English name for them.
These are mostly fished out in the back waters of river mandovi.

Ok Bops,

Bye and TC
Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the info, Vinayak. Keep trying and i'm sure you'll succeed.

Bops

Post subject: Re: Thanks Santosh
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:13 pm 
Fishaholic

young_angler wrote:
santosh wrote:
BTW how many fish have u caught lately, just curious. If u have any inputs on angling, please pass on 2 me.Vinayak

Hey Vinayak,

Recently caught a coelacanth from madh in mumbai.. :twisted: just kidding.. :wink:

have been catching just tilapias.. :cry:

Try using small shrimp for lady fish (Is it called murdushe locally.. :?: ) and a lighter line. keep the line tight with help of a sinker and you will feel the bites..

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:21 pm 

Vinayak-Welcome to the madness! I guess you dont need too much of a welcome-you are already on 70lb line! I dont know too much, but I join the chorus-Back off! use lighter line.Learn a bit about the fish, when they are running, the tides, bait in use, simple equipment, recognise feeding patterns.
See some of our resident salty-Fred, Bobby and Lure fishermans's posts on sea fishing-I guess you can apply them to pier fishing too...
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:40 pm 
Enlightened

andypike wrote:
Hi Vinayak

Welcome to IA. From the above it looks like you are already getting some good tips so good luck with the fishing.
By the way was the 70lb line a braided line or monofilament?

Regards

Andypike

Hi Andypike, firstly thanks for the welcome.

the 70lb line i am using is green colored filament, mostly used fro night fishing, but the 20 lbs line is monofilament.

Happy fishing

Bye & TC
Vinayak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:26 pm 
Enlightened

santosh wrote:
young_angler wrote:
santosh wrote:
BTW how many fish have u caught lately, just curious. If u have any inputs on angling, please pass on 2 me.Vinayak

Hey Vinayak,

Recently caught a coelacanth from madh in mumbai.. :twisted: just kidding.. :wink:

have been catching just tilapias.. :cry:

Try using small shrimp for lady fish (Is it called murdushe locally.. :?: ) and a lighter line. keep the line tight with help of a sinker and you will feel the bites..

Santosh

Hey Santosh,

The coelacanth which u caught was recently in news headlines abt. a week back :D

tilapias i think its locally known as kilapia in goa, not bad.

and yes lady fish is known locally as murdoshe or muddoshe, its the only fish available in abundance at this time of the year even at fish markets.

thanks for ur tip.

Happy tilapia

Bye & TC :D :D

Vinayak

Post subject: Thanks eljefe
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:35 pm 
Enlightened

eljefe wrote:
Vinayak-Welcome to the madness! I guess you dont need too much of a welcome-you are already on 70lb line! I dont know too much, but I join the chorus-Back off! use lighter line.Learn a bit about the fish, when they are running, the tides, bait in use, simple equipment, recognise feeding patterns.
See some of our resident salty-Fred, Bobby and Lure fishermans's posts on sea fishing-I guess you can apply them to pier fishing too...
Best
Axx

Hey eljefe, thanks for ur inputs, i am already doing that home work on fish behaviour.

Bye & TC

Vinayak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:40 pm 
Fishaholic

[quote="young_angler] yes lady fish is known locally as murdoshe or muddoshe, its the only fish available in abundance at this time of the year even at fish markets.
[/quote]

very tasty if made spicy & deep fried... [smilie=evil-sexor-lick.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the IA V.

Like everyone says, switch to lighter line... i guess you could land a hippo with 70 lb line!!! Its an overkill... but then again its best to check with the salties... up north, the only thing we use 70 lb line is to get the pestering goonch out of the water...

its a simple method... 1 lb bait fish + 70 lb line + tow truck= landed goonch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:34 pm 
Enlightened

indiangypsy wrote:
Welcome to the IA V.

Like everyone says, switch to lighter line... i guess you could land a hippo with 70 lb line!!! Its an overkill... but then again its best to check with the salties... up north, the only thing we use 70 lb line is to get the pestering goonch out of the water...

its a simple method... 1 lb bait fish + 70 lb line + tow truck= landed goonch

Thanks indiangypsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to the forum!!!!!! There are two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.
Yorkshire Boy :lol: I know the feeling. Too much fenni and I end up the same way.

Regards
Tathagata

Post subject: Hey Tahagata
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:52 am 
Enlightened

There are two types of fisherman - those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.

Hey Tahagata which type are u :twisted:

Bye
Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:43 am 
Fishaholic

Hi and welcome, with regard to your last post there is a third kind of fisherman-my type; I fish for the exercise ( the walking and spin casting ) and for the beautiful country and once in a while I catch a fish.
Enjoy your fishing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

@Michaelaga...
Excellently put mate...
There is and shall always be the "nature" part

regards
saiki

Post subject: Good one
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:27 pm 
Enlightened

Michaelaga, that was a good one. :D
Thnx for the warm welcome.

Fish on
Vinayak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:03 am 

Hey Vinayak. I sport for big fish, the journey makes it more worthwhile when you eventually do it. I don't wanna spoil myself too much at 27.. hehe

Good Luck & Karma
Rich