->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Hi Owen,

Can you post a picture of pre tied rigs? Please also share how to make boilies.. :D

Regards,

Santosh

The notes are handwritten, and i have them on mail. Send me a mail id, as the attachments are large, and i will send them to you.
Rig pix, i will post soon.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen,

Please check your PM.

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Its OK guys i found a typed copy.
Boilie Basics- Courtesy- Dirk Buran

The idea:
A fishing technique that allows an angler to catch bigger specimen of European Common and Mirror Carp and avoid other species.
These days the original idea has been modified by European anglers and used for catching other species like big tench, bream and barbel. These species have smaller mouths compared to the big mouth species like the common carp and mirror carp.
The Indian carp (rohu, mirgal and calabanse) like the tench bream and barbell have smaller mouths.

The keys to this kind of fishing are:
A. Special Baits.
B. A special rig (The hair rig)

Baits: In the past many different baits were in use to catch carp. In fact, the list could be endless, to include banana, worms, maggots, paste baits, soft sweet corn, noodles, luncheon meat, peeled crabs etc.
All these baits have one thing in common, “they are soft”, so not only carp could eat them, but also smaller species like rudd, roach and chubb, that resemble our chilwa, and all of these try to get their share of such hook baits, and nibble at them. No bite can be detected.

The solution:
A hard bait that can stay in the water for hours, without getting too soft, so that the smaller fish cannot nibble away at it from the hook.
Around 20 to 30 years back, Fred Witton from the UK developed a bait called the boilie.
His original idea was not only to develop a hard bait, but also to develop a bait with a high nutritional value. A bait that offers all the contents of a perfect food, which should result in the fish getting addicted to that source of food, and totally forgetting about their natural food sources.
Today we know that the development of the hard baits was more important as the food value factor.
Even if very expensive, milk proteins (casein, lactal burmine), are still in use in some boilie baits, however there are loads of good baits that work with very normal flour contents like whole seed atta, roasted soya bean, rice, semolina, fish meal, bird foods (with high egg yolk content), maize meal (maida) and some wheat gluten for good binding properties.

A boilie bait would be made in the following way:
Shake and mix, till all the ingredients are well mixed together. Crack open ten eggs onto a bowl. Some people also like using the egg shells in the mix, as it gives a crunch to the bait, which resembles the fishes eating experience with mussels and snails.
I prefer using sweat baits that are sweet scented or the ingredients used are basically to give the bait a sweet taste.
I add a liquid intense sweetner to the eggs that are available from the fishing tackle industry, but a liquid sweetner replacement (as is used for coffee and tea) will also do fine.
I also add liquid food colour and liquid scents to the eggs.
For a start, you could try Vanilla essence, but be careful of the flavoring. Too much of it could kill a bait, which have sensitive taste organs, while too little could make it less attractive to the fish.
It is also possible to pour some liquid essence over the bait after they are finished. This will give a short time attraction level, but will not “kill the bait”.
After everything needed is added to the egg liquid, swirl it gently, and now add the powder ingredients to the egg mix. As a rough idea, at least 1Kg of mix should be used for every 10 eggs. The number of eggs required will depend on the type of powder ingredients being added to the eggs.
Don’t add everything at one go, but rather mix it in gradually using an electrical mixer to knead the liquid and dry contents together.
After a while the mixer will no longer be able to do the job, and you will have to knead the mixture by hand to make a nice paste. Using some vegetable oil on your hands will help prevent the mix sticking to them. After a good paste is achieved, you can start rolling the boilies in you hand into neat round balls.
The size of the balls depends much on the type of fish being targeted. European carp have big mouths that can take 30 mm diameter boilies. Indian carp having smaller mouths, the size of the boilies can be reduced to 10 - 14 mm, which should be just right.
These boilies can also be sent out at long range by catapult as ground bait.
A mahseer should be able to eat a boilie of 40 – 50 mm diameter.
Cooking the boilies: The smaller boilies need to be popped into boiling water for 60 – 90 seconds. The larger ones could take longer to cook. The cooked boilies will pop up to the surface of the boiling water, and should be picked up with a sieve and put on a towel to dry.
They should be left to dry in a cool dry place, for at least half a day, but can be dried for even longer periods of time, to achieve rock hard baits. Fish eat these too, as they would crack crayfish, mussels and crabs.

If the boilies are dried only for half a day, they will need to be refrigerated until they are used, or they will “go off”.
A possible mix that could be made in India is as follows:
30% Maida
30% Roasted fine Soya meal
30% Semolina
10% Wheat flour
This would also be suitable ingredients for a base mix that could be mixed with other ingredients like bird food, fish meal, .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Please do send me the detailes on how to make boilies also I would like to get hold of a Baiting needle please. I struggled to put the Dog Biscuits on to the hook in Galibore.

Regards
Derek Dsouza

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

The boilie making details are posted above Derek.
Saving a needle for you. :D
Dude the DVD is waiting for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

A baiting needle can easily be made using a piece of stainless steel wire. Make a small U shape at one end of the wire using pliers and stick it through the boilie. Then gather the hair in the U bend and pull the wire back through the same hole. This will bring the hair through the bolie. You can then pass a small piece of toothpick through the hair to keep the hair from going back through the bolie when casting.

For hard floaters like dog biscuits etc, use superglue on the hook shank and stick the biscuit to the hook.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:20 am 
Fishaholic

Heat a large hook till red hot and then drop it in ice water. You will now be able to straighten the hook to make a nice baiting needle. The barb holds the hair well and the hole remains small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops, this topic has veered from introductions and is generating a lot of useful info. Perhaps it should be moved to under its own heading - maybe "carp fishing techniques" ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen,

Some day we two will go for fishing together and then I will try your rig. Its really great to interact with so many of fellow anglers and learn so many things. I will soon post the photo of how I use weight. Basically this method is used in Ganga to catch huge Rohus.

The method of using boilies was beautifully explained. We use to boil our maida bait or use to fry it with ghee from one side to make the bait hard from our childhood but this method of making boilies is new one to me and will surly try it. Thanks a lot mate.

Further to this, I would like all the members of this forum to answer one question. How many of you have caught 4 Kg. + Silver Carp or say any Grass carp where as the fish has taken the bait in its mouth and it was properly hooked.

regards,

Ali

Last edited by angler_ali on Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:55 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Further to this, I would like all the members of this forum to answer one question. How many of you have caught 4 Kg. + Silver Carp or say any Grass carp where as the fish has taken the bait in its mouth and it was properly hooked.

Hi Ali, i am also a learner when it comes to hair rigs and boilies. The ideas on adaptation from European methods for Indian fish comes from Dirk who is also on this forum.
Regarding the hooking of a 4Kg carp properly on hook. I can honestly say that i have caught a few carnatic carp of around that weight, but no grass carp. I am just itching to get my hands on one, and know of waters where they exist to over 40lbs, but just refuse any bait offered by anglers. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:51 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali dude,

Have caught a grass carp of nearly 8kgs.. Hoked proper in the mouth.. But I do admit that it was pure luck !!
My Old Man has caught a silver of about 5.5kgs.. Once again, properly hooked..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,
This is the way I use weight. Remember one thing, the hole of the weight should be polished very properly from the inside and the edges should be rounded off so as they do not damage the line. After polishing the inside of hole and rounding off the edges, paint the surface with araldite. The advantage of this system is that if the fish pulls the bait in any direction, the movement transfer to the float is immediate and maximum whereas the fish feels minimum weight. Hope this illustrate the method clearly.
Regards,
Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

A trip to Powai with two of I.A. members, santosh and Dr. yadnish (dated 10 June 2007)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:09 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Had great time at powai, it was very good learning...

And thanks a lot for the 27.50 lb gift.. :D

Regards,

Santosh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:52 am 
Fishaholic

:wink:

Last edited by angler_ali on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

Nice fish. But who caught it ? :lol:

Are the fish from Powai safe to eat ? Remember reading, that the Powai lake is highy polluted.

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin,
:!: , Grass carp on the hook !!, You are the most lucky angler I know of. Did you used ground baiting and what was your hook bait. I only know grass carp taking bait in such pounds where they are regularly fed by caretakers. was this catch in that type of pond or it was caught in some lake or river.

You have made me envious. :roll: :roll:

:D :D

Ali..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 am 
Fishaholic

Wow!

Big fish from Powai... And hooked the proper way.

This will hopefully change some attitudes and beliefs, I hope.

Thanks mates. Keep them rods bent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:10 pm 
Fishaholic

flyfisher wrote:
Are the fish from Powai safe to eat ? Remember reading, that the Powai lake is highy polluted.
Makarand

The Powai lake was polluted but now the water is clear and fine. It is very much safe to eat the fishes of this lake.

Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali - Fished at a private pond and the owner did not know he had such big fish.. Thought they were just fish in the range of 2 and 2.5kgs.. Got surprised when we hauled out nearly a 100 kgs of fish.. The smallest being 3kgs..
the fish was caught on bread bait coated with ants eggs and dipped in coconut oil.. This was cuaght on the rod that I was using to try and catch tilapias.. 6 feet of the bank was where I caught the fish..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Hey Ali - Fished at a private pond and the owner did not know he had such big fish.. Thought they were just fish in the range of 2 and 2.5kgs.. Got surprised when we hauled out nearly a 100 kgs of fish.. The smallest being 3kgs..

It answers my quastion. As per as I know these fishes take bait only in privet ponds where thay are regularly fed by care takers.

Regards..

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali, welcome to the forum. We, normally retur;n grass carp to the water, becos they are ecofriendly and secondly they are tasteless. Regards. Bobbee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:26 pm 
Fishaholic

jeen wrote:
Hi Ali,

Nce fish there.Talk about the cal masala.I remember a Bong friend of mine using something called "Jaldi Khao" !! to hook rhous in the lakes around Ahmedabad where I used to live for a while. Is this masala the same?

Tight lines
Jeen

Jeen,
Its known by several names,
Some of them are Jaldi Khao, Jaldi ao etc. If you want it to buy from calcutta, tell them specifically about the fish you are going after. thay will guide you. If you are after the elusive Catla, I have some ground bait with me and can share the same with you.

Regards.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Santosh, Yajneesh, Ali....congratulations mate :-)
27.5 Lbs is looking really dignified

what about that big fish santosh lost immediately after hookup? :twisted:

i think Gavin is right about the grass carps...
for silver/grass...coconut is the key

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Saiki,

I always end up losing fish / not catching anything decent .. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Ali,
Really enjoyed our outing.Never seen such huge splashes as i did yesterday at the lake.
By the way the Mrigal and Silver tasted great!
Thanks for being such a gracious host! :-)
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Really a big one. You guys had a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

way to go guys.....great show. You really had a blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Ali,

That was one great fish. Where was it taken in Powai - the bay area adjoining the club house or further out? And was the ground baiting carried out on arrival or in advance ?

A question about your rig too....what size hooks do you use ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Hi Saiki,

I always end up losing fish / not catching anything decent .. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

don't worry mate...
ya gotta make it soon.... :lol:

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:57 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Ali

Yours is easily the most interesting introduction and follow up posts!

Have zero idea of baitfishing, so was very interesting..wonder if I'll ever get around to it though.

Welcome

Post subject: Re: welcome
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

virajchopra wrote:
Have zero idea of baitfishing, so was very interesting..wonder if I'll ever get around to it though.

Hi Viraj,
If you come to Mumbai be my guest at Powai. We will fish together for a day or two and you will know how to do bait fishing.

Regards,

Ali..

Gavin,
Tried your formula of Corex, Added some to my ground bait, and ask santosh and yed.. all activities of fish near our float stopped immidiatly.. :roll: , well it is the best fish repelent.. :x

No fish that day...

Not a Tilapiya..

:? Ali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:02 am 
Fishaholic

hey ali bro...

do ya use ground-bait of your own or calcutta masala?
just curious...

regards
saiki

Last edited by saikibryan on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: welcome
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:22 am 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Gavin,
Tried your formula of Corex, Added some to my ground bait, and ask santosh and yed.. all activities of fish near our float stopped immidiatly.. :roll: , well it is the best fish repelent.. :x No fish that day...
Not a Tilapiya.. :? Ali

I came with big hopes for that evening.. $%@* corex.. :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 am 
Fishaholic

Ali - You got to use in moderation... Once again, fish got to get used to it.. Am sure if you were to try your Powai techniques here, the fish would head for the hills :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Ali,
You didn't answer my question re: hook size and site/advance baiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:30 pm 
Fishaholic

hawkeye wrote:
Ali,
You didn't answer my question re: hook size and site/advance baiting.

Hi Brother,

I fish in the bay area of Powai. Looks like you are famlier to powai. Generally I fish from Jawed’s machan. That is the last machan towards the place where visarjan is done i.e, away from the club house. As per ground baiting I use my own ground bait. I do regular ground baiting of one spot for two to three days. As per hooks, I use #4 size Calcutta Rohu hooks for Goli game or #7 size mustad hooks for line touch game.

Are you also a member of Powai. If not why don’t you join me for one day fishing there. :lol:

regards..

Ali.

p.s. what about santosh's plan of one day outing for fishing for all of us from Mumbai.. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

saikibryan wrote:
hey ali bro...

do ya use ground-bait of your own or calcutta masala?
just curious...

regards
saiki

Hi saiki,

I use my own ground bait masala. can spare some for you if you want. :lol: :lol: . not the pure one though.. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 pm 
Fishaholic

hello Ali,

thanx for that, but don't need ground-bait at this moment... :-)
in case of any mumbai visit in future...i'd definitely plan something for powai itself, there's a person named anisur, who is a member of that lake/association, not very regular though...
i've heard about big katlas of powai from him...
get hold of that person if possible, he drives almost 8 hrs from mumbai for ants egg to a secret location... :twisted:

i'd definitely make a trip to powai...c ya then

regards
saiki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

angler_ali wrote:
Are you also a member of Powai. If not why don’t you join me for one day fishing there.

Yes Ali, I am also a member - but an infrequent visitor. Would be glad to join you sometime - there is much to learn.