->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Maya-Ravas is the local name for bluethreadfin salmon-(eluterma tetradactilus) its a very very tasty fish averages bout 8-10lbs and fights like hell right up to the finis,we catch them around bombay the biggest i pulled out was 27 lbs.sorry Bobby i answered it .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby/Freddie,

Can you please post photos of this pepsi lure ?

thanks

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:04 am 
Fishaholic

Maya wrote:
Hi Bobby. What is Ravas???

Maya

Hi Maya,

Niel and Freddy answered your questions however let me take this a bit further.

There are about 5 different types of Threadfin Salmon, my father in law has borrowed (and not returned) on of my books so I do not have access to that information just now so I am quoting from another. Knowledge is good, so for those of you who are interested:

King Threadfin - Polynemus Sheridani
Blue Threadfin - Eleutheronema Tetradactylum
Seven Fingers Threadfin - Polynemus heptadctylus
Striped Threadfin - Polynemus Plebejus
Giant African Threadfin - Polydactylus quadrifilis

Typically if all these fish were available in India they would all be called "Ravas" by the locals.

I believe we have 3 types available in India that I have seen first hand, may be there are more:

Blue Threadfin - Most commonly caught in India and what everyone have been referring to on this site.

Striped Threadfin - Very Rare, a small fish growing to about a 19 inches only.

Giant Threadfin - That have seen and trying to track down for the last 5 Years, we may not have exactly the same species in India may be slightly different. But they grow to that size as in the picture and larger. Though unlikely, it could very well be the same Blue Salmon growing to these monsterous propotions in Indian waters. Another thing, if memory serves me correctly, the head of these monsters I saw in India were more like the head of the Blue Threadfin Salmon.

There is another Ravas that locals refer to Dhara, but I believe that it may be just the same Blue Threadfin though they tend to be slightly darker in colour (this could come with age), in India it is common to call the larger fish of the same species by another name, good example is the Spanish Mackrel, small ones are called Surmai and large ones are called Towar.

The King Threadfin is a popular sports fish in Northern Australia, Among anglers in Bombay they commonly believed/speculated this fish is/was the Dhara, this is not correct. There is no evidence of this fish in India.

Won't blame you if you fell asleep reading through this..

Last edited by Bobby on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:58 am 
Fishaholic

Thanks for that info Bobby
Regards
Owen

Post subject: bobby
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:13 pm 
Fishaholic

gr8 infos...thanx :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

flyfisher wrote:
Hi Bobby/Freddie,

Can you please post photos of this pepsi lure ?

thanks

Makarand

Hi Makarand,

My lures are back in India, perhaps Fred can post a picture of the one he has.

It is a very simple Lure to make, take a Aluminum pipe, Diameter - what you would like. Cut the pipe into 4 or 5” lengths, the length of the lure is up to you.

flatten one end completely drill a hole in the flattened end, this is for the split ring to fit into for the hooks.

Melt some led, pour the molten stuff into the pipe, again how much led depends upon how heavy you want the lure to be.

When done, fill the rest of the lure with Styrofoam or Styrofoam balls (sold as confetti).

Then flatten the other end perpendicular to the one that you flattened earlier.

Drill another hold in this end as well for the split ring. We used to put trebles at both ends on our spoons and lures like this one.

It is a dead simple lure.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

COULD YOU PLEASE POST ALL OTHER CONVERSATIONS ON OTHER TOPICS. AND NOT ON MAYA`S INTRO THREAD PLEASE. SORRY FOR shouting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:50 am 
Fishaholic

Bob, just following the trail mate..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the info., though a picture of the lure will be much appreciated.

thanks

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:49 pm 
Fishaholic

I have copied the post under Bait tackle and Tactics as Noels Pepsi..Hope Fred takes the time to photograph the lure and post it there..chase him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:50 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry I never got back to you on this one, here's a Ravas, but if you have been online then you must have seen that Vincent has been catching quite a few of them in Cochin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Damn Grave digger .... frigging digging up old threads after two frigging years ... got no work have you :)))))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Fredfish wrote:
Damn Grave digger .... frigging digging up old threads after two frigging years ... got no work have you :)))))

do you think he is the other one hit by the recession :twisted: :twisted: BTW where is the pic of this lure pal :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

rajatmukherje wrote:
Fredfish wrote:

do you think he is the other one hit by the recession :twisted: :twisted: BTW where is the pic of this lure pal :lol: :lol:

Most of us are :cry: ... Fred at the moment is busy digging strange things ... :twisted:

Fred, will drop in tomorrow evening... got to collect the rod.. you been using it for all wrong things... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:02 am 
Fishaholic

Swear to god Fred, when I posted that picture yesterday I did not realize that I had already posted another. I thought I had not replied to Maya's querey.

I was in a hurry as I was getting late for my meeting and had to apply for my fishing license from the Water Supply Dept. I had never done this before, but they are awsome here, I got my son's license and mine within 10 minutes. I did not have to even fill a form, all I did was produce my HK ID card. Cost me HK$ 24 for 3 years, not bad eh?

Post subject: Hi there.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:27 pm 
Fishaholic

:D That was some thread. Welcome to IA Maya, tight lines. Dont forget to take a camera along on all the fishing trips, you never know when you might need it. Carry along cutting pliers, think about going barbless and also Catch and release. The boys will tell you more :wink: .