->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Introduction time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:53 pm 

On one Sunday, bored of Facebook and Gmail, After a few searches I landed on IndianAngler.com. I wonder if it was an Indian site or was it run by people who r originally from India but settled abroad. Again book marked and again started reading the blogs. Man this site was an eye-opener to me. There were more 'lionhearts' and 'tigers' and 'indiananglers' here and to know that the site has been in action for more that 11 years was an eye opener. Where was I? "Commendable" is the word. A novice like me was dwarfed by the knowledge of everyone here. I felt I was reading the “Bible" for fishing in India. The most I have done fishing was with the simple hook with my bare hands with my Dad and his brothers who all were mad about fishing but with the normal hook and a line (Sorry, I am still not conversant with the terminology but I will get there). Whenever the brothers met up, that nite was surely 'Fishing time'. I also would tag along with them holding the earth worms and fly and also catch the small bait from the nearby temple pond. And they would be happy even if they caught 3-4 catfish (I used to wonder why). As I grew up and I was allowed to handle my own hook and line I understood the reason for their happiness. Just the feeling of fish feeding on your bait was happiness and then happiness was hooking on to a catfish and even more happiness was setting them free....

Lot of bak bak happening so intro first. I am ANDY/Anand from Kannur Kerala. I joined on July 19, 2015, and i was just reading all your posts all this time hence the delay in the introduction. I used to be Bandra boy in my college days and have seen a lot of guys using fancy fishing gear at Bandstand catching 100-500gms fishes and me still with the simple hook and hand....hahahahaha and then a trip to 'Yatch'. I have now settled down here in Kannur in Kerala with family. I hope to graduate to the 'tackles and baits' someday (see the changes r already happening...haahahahaha). Please tell me where is the topic of 'fishing Stores in Mumbai and Kerala' is. I have searched the ‘top right hand corner’ but to no avail.

I think it is ANGLING and the love for fishing that got all of us together at this site but pollution is one sticky issue. With pollution especially around Mumbai sea coast what are we going to give our kids and the next Generation to take this sport of Angling forward. I have read about 12 -15 barrels of poisonous Naphtha being dumped into the Arabian Sea. The Govt of India is least bothered to do anything purposeful about the environmental hazards and put this piece of news as a anti-social elements attempt to invade India. And that Maharashtra Angling huts in Powai Lake are to be demolished by the BMC. Can't we guys doing anything about all this??? The Sethu samudram sea route via the Gulf of Mannar should not be allowed bcos if allowed oil tankers and Ship passing thru this route and stuck in storms leak oil and all chemicals into the sea (remember oil spills outside Mumbai and the recent Naphtha barrels) and there is no fool proof law to fine or prosecute these people. The Gulf of Mannar (a Biological park) is the only place close to the Indian shore where the sea is blue in color.
This is a write up in WIKIPEDIA…….
“The shallow Palk Strait can only accommodate small shallow-draft vessels. In July 2005, the Indian Government took preliminary steps to go ahead with the Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project, which would create a deep channel linking the Gulf of Mannar to the Bay of Bengal. Project boosters emphasize the benefits of a direct shipping route that connects India's east and west coasts without the long trip around Sri Lanka; environmentalists have warned against the grave damage such a project could cause to the sea life and fisheries of the Palk Strait and the Gulf.”
At least a topic to keep those in the site informed of all that is of concern to the environment would be appreciated, what say guys?

Wishing all a big catch every time anytime.

Bye comarades,
Andy.

Post subject: Re: Introduction time
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to Indian Angler, Anand!!.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 pm 

Thanks Venky,
BTW great catch of the Giant Trevally. Was the catch done at Kanyakumari? :D [smilie=coolup.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:03 am 
Fishaholic

yes, it is from Kanyakumari.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:29 pm 

Welcome to IA. Seems hooked to the stomach. A sure case of confrontation in the family specially with betterhalf. Third world war is not far away. :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Welcome to Indian Angler!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:53 pm 

@ dreamfish : looks like we r sailing on the same boat :) :)

@ lurefisherman : Thanx Maruthu..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:05 pm 

Ha ha ha :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:59 pm 

Can anyone guide me on what all I should buy (new or second hand) and essentials needed for a novice anglers.
I read about Qunhai spinners avlb for 600/- are they good?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:27 pm 
Fishaholic

If you tell us more about the intended use (freshwater/saltwater/target fish, shore/jetty fishing) we will be able to help you better.
Don't buy those cheap Chinese reels, after sometime they will end up as trash.
Soon you will find the cheap reel/rod not matching your intended use and you will end up buying more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 pm 

It wud be mainly be saltwater fishing on the shores... but wud also like to try masheer fishing in the Cavery......
Wud you please tell me which reel is used for freshwater and saltwater.
Thanx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Since you said mainly from shore fishing I would suggest you to get reels like Penn Spinfisher V or the upcoming Penn Clash.
From shimano reels like stradic, speros or saragosa. Also check similar reels from Diawa.
The other important think I missed to ask earlier is your budget. These reels will cost you around a minimum of 7000 rupees.
There are other good budget reels available, but if you are serious about fishing I will suggest you to buy any of the above mentioned reels.
If you are tight with budget try reels like Shimano Alivio or Hyperloop.
Once you decide on a reel again the size of the reel comes into play, how much weight(of the reel) you are willing to hold and the line capacity you require.
It is all about striking a compromise and there is nothing like one reel for all.
Saltwater reels are generally sturdy, have more line capacity, have high drag. You can use the above reels for Masheer fishing as well.

For a starter rod I would suggest Shakespere ugly stick or Abu Garcia Tournament classic. These will cost you around 3500 for a 10 feet rod.
I personally don't like ugly stick for the bulkier size and short handle. Save your money and buy Braid.

If I am going to suggest then it will be Abu Garica Tournament 10 feet + Penn Spinfisher V 6000 + Braid.

Hope I did not confuse you more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:15 pm 

Thanks a lot Ventakesh. Highly appreciate u inputs. Will keep in mind all that u said.
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:51 pm 

Welcome aboard Andy.
As an ex-navigation officer on oil tankers I would share your concerns about a channel through the Palk Strait, that project has got 'environmental incident' written all over it!
Good advice from Fishaholic about gear; budget is obviously important, but try to get good durable kit. It's not about being seen with the 'correct' brand, but once you understand exactly what is right for you (and the type of fishing you do) getting the most efficient tackle. And keep it simple, less is more....
I'm still regularly using a 25 yr old rod (for trout etc), a good reel with regular maintenance would last as long (in freshwater anyway) .
I'm sure many fishermen become very fond of familiar (and old) tackle; a continuing challenge to those marketing all the latest cant do without, catch more/bigger fish kit!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:45 pm 

@ druidge : Thanx for the comments from a wiseman.... U r the only person who has commented on the Palk Strait. The rest were either not interested or were skimming thru my long post during the introduction, but u thru the full post.... Appreciate it. The Palk Strait is one of the few places in India where the color of the sea is blue...... not like the dirty green waters u find elsewhere. I wonder when the school will stop teaching kids the color of the sea is blue. If anyone has not been to the Palk Strait see it before its beauty is gone forever.
Tight lines,
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:41 pm 

Welcome 8) 8)
.....u have mentioned a huge essay :wink: :wink: